Could I get a critique from my friends?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
I've reworked my website and would really appreciate some feedback. The new site addresses a couple of issues:
1. Guest kept commenting that my photos didn't do my place justice. I hired a proffesional and got new pictures done. (Food, Rooms and pictures of a romantic couple)
2. My menus were becoming top heavy so I reworked them into a drop-down menu using CSS (keeping my fingers crossed)
I'm still working on some of the content because a few details have to be ironed out with local vendors about their activities.
The site hasn't gone live yet, but here is the URL for the preview: http://www.oakcreekbnb.com/new_website/index.htm
There are a couple of issues that I'm aware of.
(1) I have embedded my Webervations page into an IFRAME so that it would have the look and feel of my website. I still have to edit the webervations page so that it looks correct in the new design. Also, because it is in an IFRAME, there is the issue of not being able to see the URL in the address block or the lock in the status bar to show the guest that it is actually on a secure site. I have a disclaimer to set to the site with a link to pull the Webervations page out of the frame. However, I spoke with Webervations and I should be able to upload my CSS style sheet and images up to their server and eliminate this problem by reconstructing the page there.
(2) The CSS I have used for the menus may or may not work in some versions of the dredded Internet Explorer. Since I am authoring on a Mac, I have no real way to test this.
I appreciate any comments no matter how brutal. I'd like to get this right this time.
P.T.

SOrry to say..I am not a fan of your color scheme. The greens all seem to clash and it is hard on the eyes. I also not that some page have a san serif ( Arial???)and others have serif ( Times Roman) And for me the font size is just a bit too small.
The room photos are very nice, but having them just small images in a pop up window, doesn't get it for me. I would like to see them all in a bigger size. Show off what you have.

Like the new pix. Not a fan of the people pix, tho. Maybe keep the one on the bridge, the others are too 'personal' if you get my drift. Like catlady, the color scheme is a bit bright in a distracting way. I know you haven't changed that and I've always felt that way. But, if it's working for you, don't mess with it.

The only couples photo I saw was by the fire talking about dinner. I would think having them cooking hotdogs over the fire would have been reasonable. Old eyes - small type. Your availability calendar showed up fine on the rooms page and I am on Explorer. Other than that - I am a web site numbnutz - I know nothing.

SOrry to say..I am not a fan of your color scheme. The greens all seem to clash and it is hard on the eyes. I also not that some page have a san serif ( Arial???)and others have serif ( Times Roman) And for me the font size is just a bit too small.
The room photos are very nice, but having them just small images in a pop up window, doesn't get it for me. I would like to see them all in a bigger size. Show off what you have..
catlady said:
The room photos are very nice, but having them just small images in a pop up window, doesn't get it for me. I would like to see them all in a bigger size. Show off what you have.
Noted. Would you mind me asking what browser your using and what is the size of your monitor? The font's are set at 12pt with the headers at 18pt and 24pt. Normally, that should be large enough.
I'm sorry you don't like my color scheme. It's loosley based on an "Arts & Crafts" pallette, which would not be considered modern and trendy by current standards. But, modern and trendy is not the look I'm going for. I'm looking more for a "Martha Stewart meets James Muir" look. We are in the woods and I want to convey woodsy with out using the usual cliché motifs.

Like the new pix. Not a fan of the people pix, tho. Maybe keep the one on the bridge, the others are too 'personal' if you get my drift. Like catlady, the color scheme is a bit bright in a distracting way. I know you haven't changed that and I've always felt that way. But, if it's working for you, don't mess with it..
Morticia said:
Like the new pix. Not a fan of the people pix, tho. Maybe keep the one on the bridge, the others are too 'personal' if you get my drift
I had the exact same reaction to the photos.

Like the new pix. Not a fan of the people pix, tho. Maybe keep the one on the bridge, the others are too 'personal' if you get my drift. Like catlady, the color scheme is a bit bright in a distracting way. I know you haven't changed that and I've always felt that way. But, if it's working for you, don't mess with it..
Morticia said:
Like the new pix. Not a fan of the people pix, tho. Maybe keep the one on the bridge, the others are too 'personal' if you get my drift. Like catlady, the color scheme is a bit bright in a distracting way. I know you haven't changed that and I've always felt that way. But, if it's working for you, don't mess with it.
Yeah, ditto on the people pics. I'm going to reserve the couples pics for the Romance Packages section. Right now they are just place holders until I can get some good nature shots.

I think your place looks lovely (I am going to have to do a tour of the US as everyone's b&B on here looks fab) I do agree with the others that I would make the font a tad larger and I would stick to Arial maybe as it looks clean and clear. I don't know about the colour scheme I can see you are going towards woodsy colours that tie in with the nature of the B&B I don't mind them its each to their own.

Do you guys think the menu arrangement is logical? Is it easy to navigate?
One thing I attempted to do is get as much information about the rooms and pricing on one page as I could. I noticed through Google Analytics that most visitors were never getting past the first or second pages. They would just see the phone number on the first page and call.

The room photos are very nice, but having them just small images in a pop up window, doesn't get it for me. I would like to see them all in a bigger size. Show off what you have..
catlady said:
Noted. Would you mind me asking what browser your using and what is the size of your monitor? The font's are set at 12pt with the headers at 18pt and 24pt. Normally, that should be large enough.
I'm sorry you don't like my color scheme. It's loosley based on an "Arts & Crafts" pallette, which would not be considered modern and trendy by current standards. But, modern and trendy is not the look I'm going for. I'm looking more for a "Martha Stewart meets James Muir" look. We are in the woods and I want to convey woodsy with out using the usual cliché motifs.
Proud Texan said:
It's loosley based on an "Arts & Crafts" pallette, which would not be considered modern and trendy by current standards. But, modern and trendy is not the look I'm going for. I'm looking more for a "Martha Stewart meets James Muir" look. We are in the woods and I want to convey woodsy with out using the usual cliché motifs.
I think you mean John Muir. My uncle James has a martini bar and restaurant in central PA, but I wouldn't ask him for decorating advice.
We use a similar color scheme because we have that color trim paint in our Federal style building. It was referenced in a thread last year and the number is CBB58C.

catlady said:
Proud Texan said:
It's loosley based on an "Arts & Crafts" pallette, which would not be considered modern and trendy by current standards. But, modern and trendy is not the look I'm going for. I'm looking more for a "Martha Stewart meets James Muir" look. We are in the woods and I want to convey woodsy with out using the usual cliché motifs.
I think you mean John Muir. My uncle James has a martini bar and restaurant in central PA, but I wouldn't ask him for decorating advice.
We use a similar color scheme because we have that color trim paint in our Federal style building. It was referenced in a thread last year and the number is CBB58C.
Proud Texan said:
"I think you mean John Muir. " <------SENIOR MOMENT.
smiley-char124.gif
Thanks. Actually, I think I like the color you suggested. I've been using #CCCC99, which does seem to lean toward the greenish side of things.
I'll play with your suggestion and see how it looks.

catlady said:
I actually like the color scheme. But it doesn't, to me, convey what you're saying you want.
It's not that I think it's modern necessarily but it does have the Rasta colors that make me think more of a reggae festival than Martha Stewart or John Muir. More Bob Marley.

catlady said:
I am using Firefox and My monitor is a 20 inch screen. I still think you could choose more complentary green colors if you want to stay green. This is what I consider arts and crafts palette. http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2004/03/09/artsandcrafts_color_designstyles_lg.jpg
Your greens do no invoke 'woodsy' to me. Sorry.

catlady said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
"I think you mean John Muir. " <------SENIOR MOMENT.
smiley-char124.gif
Thanks. Actually, I think I like the color you suggested. I've been using #CCCC99, which does seem to lean toward the greenish side of things.
I'll play with your suggestion and see how it looks.
On my monitor, that looked a little dark. I went with a lighter shade #e0ceac and I like the contrast better.

I am opening it now, but read your comments and wanted to say:
PT wrote: (1) I have embedded my Webervations page into an IFRAME so that it would have the look and feel of my website. I still have to edit the webervations page so that it looks correct in the new design. Also, because it is in an IFRAME, there is the issue of not being able to see the URL in the address block or the lock in the status bar to show the guest that it is actually on a secure site. I have a disclaimer to set to the site with a link to pull the Webervations page out of the frame. However, I spoke with Webervations and I should be able to upload my CSS style sheet and images up to their server and eliminate this problem by reconstructing the page there.
Coming from one who had weberv embedded in a frame, be prepared to tackle the phone calls telling you it is not secure processing, I had plenty of them, even though it was secure and said so. I am now using reservation key and you can use their online system and edit the color to scheme to match yours. Just thought I would share that, and the price is way better and it has many more features.

catlady said:
I am using Firefox and My monitor is a 20 inch screen. I still think you could choose more complentary green colors if you want to stay green. This is what I consider arts and crafts palette. http://img.hgtv.com/HGTV/2004/03/09/artsandcrafts_color_designstyles_lg.jpg
Your greens do no invoke 'woodsy' to me. Sorry.
Well, I may have to abandon the "Arts & Crafts" idea. I have too much advertising material printed up to start messing with my logo, so I'll possibly look for colors that compliment it.

PT wrote: (1) I have embedded my Webervations page into an IFRAME so that it would have the look and feel of my website. I still have to edit the webervations page so that it looks correct in the new design. Also, because it is in an IFRAME, there is the issue of not being able to see the URL in the address block or the lock in the status bar to show the guest that it is actually on a secure site. I have a disclaimer to set to the site with a link to pull the Webervations page out of the frame. However, I spoke with Webervations and I should be able to upload my CSS style sheet and images up to their server and eliminate this problem by reconstructing the page there.
Coming from one who had weberv embedded in a frame, be prepared to tackle the phone calls telling you it is not secure processing, I had plenty of them, even though it was secure and said so. I am now using reservation key and you can use their online system and edit the color to scheme to match yours. Just thought I would share that, and the price is way better and it has many more features..
That's why I'll probably go with uploading my images and CSS to Webervations.

One thing I attempted to do is get as much information about the rooms and pricing on one page as I could. I noticed through Google Analytics that most visitors were never getting past the first or second pages. They would just see the phone number on the first page and call..
Easy to navigate. Menu arrangement logical.
Like the box with the cancellation policies.
Don't want to beat a dead horse but don't like the stock photos throughout. I'm assuming those will be changed later?

One thing I attempted to do is get as much information about the rooms and pricing on one page as I could. I noticed through Google Analytics that most visitors were never getting past the first or second pages. They would just see the phone number on the first page and call..
Easy to navigate. Menu arrangement logical.
Like the box with the cancellation policies.
Don't want to beat a dead horse but don't like the stock photos throughout. I'm assuming those will be changed later?
The "couples" photos are some I had taken for our romance package brochure. I'm just using them as filler at the moment before I go live.

Coming from one who had weberv embedded in a frame, be prepared to tackle the phone calls telling you it is not secure processing, I had plenty of them, even though it was secure and said so. I am now using reservation key and you can use their online system and edit the color to scheme to match yours. Just thought I would share that, and the price is way better and it has many more features..
That's why I'll probably go with uploading my images and CSS to Webervations.
I got an error message on romantic page.
The food looks good, the rooms nice enough.
Header, margins (not a 'puter programmer so not familiar w/tech terms) are okay as long as you're going for earthy, warm, woodsy comfort it's fine IMHO. As for fru-fru, I love it (long as it's clean, not tired looking) so I would not be put out by the fru.

Back