Could you ever sell an inn as a residence that has jacuzzi tubs right in the room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Just wondering, as I am seeing this phenomena of these big gaudy jacuzzi tubs right in the guest rooms. Has this FAD passed? Year one I had call after call "Do you have a jacuzzi? Or in room jacuzzi for two?" I have not had that question asked for a couple years now. Is that fad finally over? Are these Inns with these in-room (meaning literally IN THE ROOM) jacuzzi tubs stuck with these things? I am assuming most of them have a tiled surround around them.
(Sorry I know I just offended a half dozen people).

Year one I had call after call "Do you have a jacuzzi? Or in room jacuzzi for two?" I have not had that question asked for a couple years now. Is that fad finally over?
That is why I do not worry about the latest and greatest from the gurus. They tell innkeepers (and guests) that this is what you MUST HAVE if you want bookings so innkeepers rush to get it and guests call wanting it because they read it is a must have. Do they use it all that much? Probably not - many for Cat Lady's reason, I do not know how well it was cleaned!
Now if you want to sell you have all these water sucking, cleaning nightmares to hope someone will buy and buyers who are calculating how much it will cost them to get rid of them. I will contendedly stay "backwards and boonies" with my B & B.

To answer the question...no, I wouldn't buy a house with tubs in the bedrooms. And I know this is true as I looked at a house that had the whole, wall-less bathroom in the bedroom. Just a gauzy curtain strung the entire length of the room. Circular bed with red crushed velour cover. The realtor thought it was a selling point that the bed stayed with the house.
Most of the B&B's/hotels, etc that I have seen with huge tubs in the bedrooms have had wall to wall carpet running right up the sides of the tub. Or, a ceramic surface so slick you'd kill yourself.

I for one was never fond of 'in the room' tubs - no matter what they are. I do however still get calls on occasion asking if we have jacuzzi tubs. We have a hot tub on site and find it hard enough to keep clean & sanitized. So even though I think about it each and every time I do get a call - the thought fades away and I start thinking of 'green' reasons why not to go that route.
As for your topic question...I would think it would be difficult to sell as a residence. I knew of a home that had a raised 2 person jacuzzi complete with a dome and columns smack dab in the middle of the master bedroom...the house sat for sale for a very long time - in fact, I stopped tracking it...wonder if it sold?

I for one was never fond of 'in the room' tubs - no matter what they are. I do however still get calls on occasion asking if we have jacuzzi tubs. We have a hot tub on site and find it hard enough to keep clean & sanitized. So even though I think about it each and every time I do get a call - the thought fades away and I start thinking of 'green' reasons why not to go that route.
As for your topic question...I would think it would be difficult to sell as a residence. I knew of a home that had a raised 2 person jacuzzi complete with a dome and columns smack dab in the middle of the master bedroom...the house sat for sale for a very long time - in fact, I stopped tracking it...wonder if it sold?.
Yeah, the cleaning gets me. The water usage gets me. I'd rather not deal with it here. I had a friend who did housekeeping and the number 1 thing she hated were jetted tubs. She had to climb into them to scrub them and it killed her back.

As for your topic question...I would think it would be difficult to sell as a residence. I knew of a home that had a raised 2 person jacuzzi complete with a dome and columns smack dab in the middle of the master bedroom...the house sat for sale for a very long time - in fact, I stopped tracking it...wonder if it sold?.
Yeah, the cleaning gets me. The water usage gets me. I'd rather not deal with it here. I had a friend who did housekeeping and the number 1 thing she hated were jetted tubs. She had to climb into them to scrub them and it killed her back.
Bree said:
I have to climb into our tubs and showers to clean them, and they are just reg sized and I am 5'9" .
I think innkeepers always need to be forward thinkers - never do something to a place than cannot easily be undone or utilized in the future effectively.

Bree said:
I have to climb into our tubs and showers to clean them, and they are just reg sized and I am 5'9" .
I think innkeepers always need to be forward thinkers - never do something to a place than cannot easily be undone or utilized in the future effectively.
We only have one tub in the inn, the rest of the baths have showers. Yes, they do require stepping into, in some cases. But, easier, I think, on the back than in and out of those huge tubs.
BTW, we are disassembling the shower doors and replacing all of the gaskets. I think I mentioned this once before. The doors have been in use for over 20 years and the mold on the underside of the gaskets is uncleanable. It'll be nice to have fresh gaskets. And when the doors are removed, they will be cleaned all around and the grout on the showers replaced.

I think that in bedroom big jetted tubs would be a negative for a regular residence. I have an innkeeper friend who has a romantic getaway inn and she has a couple of in room jetted tubs and they are done beautifully with tile surrounds. They are HUGELY popular! One room that did not book started booking right away when they replaced the clawfoot tub with a corner jetted tub. I am not a fan of in room tubs but there's a whole segment of people out there that apparently don't agree with me. :) She has people request those rooms right & left.
We have 3 large jetted 2-person tubs in our guest bathrooms. They are a big hit, people love them, use them, and I have to clean and sanitize them. All types of travelers really like them and request them.

I have always hated in room tubs for 2. If you have a small B& B that you would want to sell as a residence, I think that would be a deterrent..but on the other hand..someone might really enjoy it for their master suite. You just never know.

do you mean right in the room or in the bathroom in the room?
sorry if this question seems dense --- i stayed in one place and the tub was in the room. i didn't like it. not a jacuzzi tub, just a clawfoot tub. the shower and toilet were in the bathroom. it was a very old victorian house and full of unusual things like that.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE having a private jacuzzi in the bathroom .... i would search and search to find a room with that ... still will, even though i'm alone now.
as a guest, i really did not give a lot of thought to how they were cleaned. hmmm.

sorry if this question seems dense --- i stayed in one place and the tub was in the room. i didn't like it. not a jacuzzi tub, just a clawfoot tub. the shower and toilet were in the bathroom. it was a very old victorian house and full of unusual things like that.
i LOVE LOVE LOVE having a private jacuzzi in the bathroom .... i would search and search to find a room with that ... still will, even though i'm alone now.
as a guest, i really did not give a lot of thought to how they were cleaned. hmmm..
seashanty said:
as a guest, i really did not give a lot of thought to how they were cleaned. hmmm.
We have a side nook inbetween the bathroom and the bedroom and the two person whirlpool tub is in the corner. I don't like soaking in the tub and looking at the toilet. Ours gives you a side view of the fireplace. We also have a screen for privacy if needed. This is our most popular room. This way we also didn't have to make the bathroom so crowded.
I prefer this brand instead of jacuzzi. I don't know if they have changed their tubs, but you have to fill the whole darn thing full to clean. The ones I have you have a system that flushes using only several gallons with bleach.
Riki

I think if the room had one room like that, but the rest not, it could sell as a residence OK. But if every room had them... hmm... only if the location was fabulous.
=)
Kk.

I think if the room had one room like that, but the rest not, it could sell as a residence OK. But if every room had them... hmm... only if the location was fabulous.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
At this point I'm not going to worry about my place selling as a residence. I could only see it doing that if there was multiple generations under one roof - like a family that had to have their parents living with them, and maybe a caretaker for the parents. It's just too "set up" as a B&B.
I think maybe when I'm too old to do it I'll change it into a retirement home and get three rich people to come live here and put Chris and I in the big suite (bedroom, living room and office) and put a nurse in our innkeepers quarters! The rich people can be taken care of and pay us and we can play and travel!
RIki

Back