Counting down until vacation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
We are coming off a busy season and have 11 days until vacation. My patience is wearing thin. It seems the closer we get to vaca the more annoying guests become. A few examples-
Caller wanting to rent a room and wanted the last minute discount.. No problem but then asked for the weekday rate on top of it. I said one discount or the other and she went on to say how tough times were this year. I said it's been tough for all of us. Needless to say, she booked the room with the weekday rate. Big deal a whole $10.00 difference. Well then they pulled up in their $75,000.00 Mercedes. Gee guess times are really tough~
Group of 4 arrived last night. Gee no TV....my wife has to fall asleep to a TV..(sorry use the internet) They say I bet you have a TV in your living area...Yes, we do but we LIVE here! They don't like the classical music playing .....Again why are you staying here??
Can you tell I'm ready for some R and R?? Sorry just needed to vent! Thanks for listening.......

Thank you for posting...I was beginning to think it was just me. Our season will start to wind down as well in two weeks and the closer we get the harder it gets to do the day to day. It's a combination, we are ready to be done, and people just really do seem to be exceptionally demanding...I'm hearing it from others in our area too. Hang in there, when they get on your last nerve go make plans for your vacation!

Nine days until mine and I can't wait either!!!
Got a guest contact from Ilovelinns asking about a king bed and how far we are from [town north of here.] Well, if you'd read my website, you'd know, wouldn't you?
=)
Kk.

Okay so this is a vent.
wink_smile.gif

$75k mercedes gee they are cheap! You pay that for a nice SUV. Just kidding, hang in there...you have a LIGHT at the end of your tunnel. My next time away - hopefully if it pans out is in Dec to meet an inn-mate from this forum!
This is when planning a getaway can get you through the turkeys...
I just found out my stepford guests who left all fat and happy were rude at the table to the other very nice guests yesterday. They sat down and said and I quote "We hate small towns! Everything about them" the other guests immediately felt offended. Funny how when I REALLY like guests the turkeys make me mad! Don't be rude to my really nice guests you horrible people!!!

Just a thought for you all: Have you ever considered hiring an Inn-sitter in the middle of your busy season to give yourself a break? That is what vacations are all about!

Just a thought for you all: Have you ever considered hiring an Inn-sitter in the middle of your busy season to give yourself a break? That is what vacations are all about!.
suellen222 said:
Just a thought for you all: Have you ever considered hiring an Inn-sitter in the middle of your busy season to give yourself a break? That is what vacations are all about!
That's a good idea. We run the wine tasting tours, and are lucky in that a couple have started an innsitting business just 45 minutes away from us. They are wonderful and we can book them to come and "turn" rooms that we could not do since we are out on wine tours right now during our busy season. More than pays for them since we can then book the rooms we'd otherwise have to refuse. I especially like it since they are a business and I don't have to hire an employee.
RIki

Just a thought for you all: Have you ever considered hiring an Inn-sitter in the middle of your busy season to give yourself a break? That is what vacations are all about!.
Yes, and that is what we do. And we get to get everything ready for the innsitter before we leave, and then we get to jump back in feet first when the innsitter leaves. It is a very temporary help and one that very few innkeepers have the luxury of using.

Uh oh. I'm just thinking here that I am going on vacation to a place that is just coming off it's peak season. THEY are probably all waiting to get away, too!

suellen222 said:
Never. We have plenty of time when the guests go home...that is like owning a retail store and taking off over Christmas. Don't prefer to shoot myself in the foot. :)

Uh oh. I'm just thinking here that I am going on vacation to a place that is just coming off it's peak season. THEY are probably all waiting to get away, too!.
Yes but I highly doubt you will be a PITA while you are there so they probably won't mind.
regular_smile.gif

Uh oh. I'm just thinking here that I am going on vacation to a place that is just coming off it's peak season. THEY are probably all waiting to get away, too!.
Yes but I highly doubt you will be a PITA while you are there so they probably won't mind.
regular_smile.gif

InnsiderInfo said:
regular_smile.gif
There's no accounting for my traveling companions, tho...
First time I went away after starting this biz, I said to my mother, 'I am using every blasted pillow, blanket, bar of soap, whatever I can find in this room. Then I'm throwing it all on the floor. I'm leaving all the lights on, the sliding door open and the A/C on full. Oh, and let me find some ice I can let melt all over the place.'
My poor mother...

well, we are already on the vacation side of the fence. we closed on the 19th. it has been wonderful sleeping in the past couple of days, hanging around in my bathrobe & slippers. this time of year i take on another job, which is my true passion.i am a folk art designer/crafter. so this time of year is all about sewing, crafting, craft festivals, etc. my sewing machine is my sanity saver!
even though the next 6 months will fly by, we are thoroughly enjoying our vacation and hope you all do too. we were throwing around thoughts of going to Italy this winter but have decided to spend it in Myrtle Beach/Savannah with my grandparents instead. Whatever you all do or wherever you all go in your off time this winter, have a great time & enjoy every moment! happy off season (to those of you who it is off season for) to those of you who it is not off season for, may you have a very prosperous peak season!

well, we are already on the vacation side of the fence. we closed on the 19th. it has been wonderful sleeping in the past couple of days, hanging around in my bathrobe & slippers. this time of year i take on another job, which is my true passion.i am a folk art designer/crafter. so this time of year is all about sewing, crafting, craft festivals, etc. my sewing machine is my sanity saver!
even though the next 6 months will fly by, we are thoroughly enjoying our vacation and hope you all do too. we were throwing around thoughts of going to Italy this winter but have decided to spend it in Myrtle Beach/Savannah with my grandparents instead. Whatever you all do or wherever you all go in your off time this winter, have a great time & enjoy every moment! happy off season (to those of you who it is off season for) to those of you who it is not off season for, may you have a very prosperous peak season!.
Ahhhh! I have 10 weeks to go until THAT kind of vacation!

even though the next 6 months will fly by, we are thoroughly enjoying our vacation and hope you all do too. we were throwing around thoughts of going to Italy this winter but have decided to spend it in Myrtle Beach/Savannah with my grandparents instead. Whatever you all do or wherever you all go in your off time this winter, have a great time & enjoy every moment! happy off season (to those of you who it is off season for) to those of you who it is not off season for, may you have a very prosperous peak season!.
mollysmom said:
have decided to spend it in Myrtle Beach/Savannah with my grandparents instead. !
When you are in Savannah you will be 5 hours south of me! I'll give you a wave!
teeth_smile.gif

I have 24 days and 16 hours until my vacation BEGINS, yaaaaaayyyy. I am so ready.

mollysmom said:
have decided to spend it in Myrtle Beach/Savannah with my grandparents instead. !
When you are in Savannah you will be 5 hours south of me! I'll give you a wave!
teeth_smile.gif

allrighty, i will GG! I was actually going to connect with you on Facebook the other day too but then i got sidetracked. so i'll be lookin ya up

Glad to see we're not alone with how we feel....The same guests that wanted a TV..didn't like the classical music now wanted to use our kitchen tonight to cook the fish they caught today! PLEASE I think not...........................They leave tomorrow.....Right now we are reservation free for Sunday and Monday...Deep down I'm hoping it stays that way. Sleeping in sounds sooooooo good...

With DH I do not get a vacation. It is harder to travel with him than to just stay home. I will be here so all y'all can stop in for a "motel stop" as we call it in our family. It means you stop in for the bed & breakfast and say hello/goodbye and it is OK. Nothing more expected. I am going to go to Mid-Atlantic to see Jay and then hope to see an inn-mate and a week later get to go to Charleston on City business - those are my vacations. And very welcome they are!! I am more worn out from this week of Garden Club stuff than I get from guests (with the school thing and rail-trail mixed in on top of everything).

Back