Couples Retreats

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I have submitted rack cards and letters to all the local churches reminding them we are available for couples retreats. I think our area is just not that way, they don't do couples retreats. Maybe I should send them to other cities! They seem to ONLY want us for luncheons, which we don't currently do.
Have you considered marketing your place to groups of couples, diff clubs, sunday school classes, etc in the off season?

Yes, have considered it. Have had calls but they only wanted to come when we generally take vacation! Am considering how to do it again.

Joey Bloggs said:
I have submitted rack cards and letters to all the local churches reminding them we are available for couples retreats. I think our area is just not that way, they don't do couples retreats. Maybe I should send them to other cities! They seem to ONLY want us for luncheons, which we don't currently do.
Have you considered marketing your place to groups of couples, diff clubs, sunday school classes, etc in the off season?
What we found was that the couples, churches, different clubs, etc didn't want to pay the rates. Even the 'knocked it down so you will stay with us rates". And if they did, they wanted to put as many people as possible in a room (like they do at the hotels) and, and, and... It was almost easier to just NOT do it. Disclaimer: My honest opinion and experience speaking only- for my situation in my area.
Edited to add: We did get a fair amount of groups like the Red Hatters who wanted to come for an early dinner/hangout time in the living room. And we also got quite a few bridal showers on Sunday afternoons for a hearty appy and beverage luncheon. But I don't think you were asking about that ;)

Joey Bloggs said:
What we found was that the couples, churches, different clubs, etc didn't want to pay the rates. Even the 'knocked it down so you will stay with us rates". And if they did, they wanted to put as many people as possible in a room (like they do at the hotels) and, and, and... It was almost easier to just NOT do it. Disclaimer: My honest opinion and experience speaking only- for my situation in my area.
Edited to add: We did get a fair amount of groups like the Red Hatters who wanted to come for an early dinner/hangout time in the living room. And we also got quite a few bridal showers on Sunday afternoons for a hearty appy and beverage luncheon. But I don't think you were asking about that ;).
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Edited to add: We did get a fair amount of groups like the Red Hatters who wanted to come for an early dinner/hangout time in the living room. And we also got quite a few bridal showers on Sunday afternoons for a hearty appy and beverage luncheon. But I don't think you were asking about that ;)
Ladies, definitely, that is why I mentioned COUPLES. Women will pack 4 to 5 to a room and all bring casseroles! haha

Reminded me of one place that had a fair amount of success with these groups. I think the reason, tho, was that the inn organized the speakers and the music and all of that. After that prep work they found a group that wanted what they were offering. They had one weekend where they had some extra couples and the group organizer came over and asked if the extra couples could stay here.
Then she told me what the other B&B was charging them! I contacted the other B&B and asked if they were giving such a reduced rate to the group and they told me 'no way!'
So much for having them stay with me. If the organizer was willing to baldly lie to my face then I really didn't want them here.

Joey Bloggs said:
Edited to add: We did get a fair amount of groups like the Red Hatters who wanted to come for an early dinner/hangout time in the living room. And we also got quite a few bridal showers on Sunday afternoons for a hearty appy and beverage luncheon. But I don't think you were asking about that ;).
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Ladies, definitely, that is why I mentioned COUPLES. Women will pack 4 to 5 to a room and all bring casseroles! haha
Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
...and they'll love the doiles ;)

Reminded me of one place that had a fair amount of success with these groups. I think the reason, tho, was that the inn organized the speakers and the music and all of that. After that prep work they found a group that wanted what they were offering. They had one weekend where they had some extra couples and the group organizer came over and asked if the extra couples could stay here.
Then she told me what the other B&B was charging them! I contacted the other B&B and asked if they were giving such a reduced rate to the group and they told me 'no way!'
So much for having them stay with me. If the organizer was willing to baldly lie to my face then I really didn't want them here..
I would always worry that the group or whatever would back out and you would be left carrying the can. I rember vaguly when this happened to someone who had organised a murder mystry thing and then another similar thing where the murder mystry people got sick and they had to play all the parts! I just have visions of this happening and DH will not play along. I won't even get involved in room allocations!

Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Not sure if times are changing, our policies are clearer or what but we've found the cram 'em in crowd in re groups of women has calmed down. Now, give me parents with 4 kids who for some reason want the B&B experience but only one room, well, they are rife on the ground!
I seriously think they opt for a B&B for the free breakfast for the kids. Not every hotel here has a FREE breakfast. Many charge $10/head. That's $60 + tax + tip for that family of 6. However, we won't cram 'em in and we do charge $25/head for the kids so they really get a better deal at the hotel when there are that many of them.

Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Not sure if times are changing, our policies are clearer or what but we've found the cram 'em in crowd in re groups of women has calmed down. Now, give me parents with 4 kids who for some reason want the B&B experience but only one room, well, they are rife on the ground!
I seriously think they opt for a B&B for the free breakfast for the kids. Not every hotel here has a FREE breakfast. Many charge $10/head. That's $60 + tax + tip for that family of 6. However, we won't cram 'em in and we do charge $25/head for the kids so they really get a better deal at the hotel when there are that many of them.
honey the hotels round here charge from $23.50 - £26.70 if they were only charging $10 this would be considered cheap! Idon't know how they get away with it! I wouldn't pay it!

Joey Bloggs said:
Penelope said:
Joey Bloggs said:
[/quote]
[/quote]
rotflmao!
teeth_smile.gif

I wonder that why did you submit them to churches? What is to do with couple retreats to churches? I market them generally to clubs, restaurant, colleges etc.

Yes, have considered it. Have had calls but they only wanted to come when we generally take vacation! Am considering how to do it again..
Madeleine said:
Yes, have considered it. Have had calls but they only wanted to come when we generally take vacation! Am considering how to do it again.
This is nice idea to conduct them on vacations.

Back