Covers for interior A/C units

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I have searched high and low for a DIY article I read about decorative, wooden A/C unit covers to go over 'thru the wall' style units. We are tired of guests ripping the fabric covers off during the heating season and trying to run the A/C after they have turned the heat up to 90.
Help! Have you seen anything like this?
Essentially it looks like a box that fits over the A/C unit in the room. You can paint the box or otherwise trick it out to look nice, even using it as a shelf.
I'm more looking for ideas to attach it to the wall as it does have to come off in the summer! I don't want ugly hooks remaining.

Is DH handy? I would make a simple wooden frame around the AC, painted to match the wall or woodwork, and hang a similarly painted shallow box of wood on the frame for the winter. You can insulate the box if needed and secure it in such a way that guests might not even guess what is behind it during the winter.
Isn't it amazing what people do? Last weekend, when it was a beautiful 55 degrees at night...perfect for sleeping, one couple had the windows closed and the AC on. They lived in NE so you might think they would understand that opening a window would give them all the air they could possibly want.
I am sooooo glad that we have closed the suites in the main house until April. At least I will not have to contend with the crowd that hikes the temp in the room up to 80 and then puts the AC on. Amazing. The cottage has a gas fireplace that gets overused but the window AC unit is stashed away for the winter.

i saw this on bhg, found it online
if they are high enough, i'd mount an inexpensive print in the center because the guests you have would probably try to pry the box open!
hdswt301_3cb_ACcover-After_lg.jpg

Good idea, seashanty, to make it look like a framed picture (as you say, if it's at the right height for that).

if they are high enough, i'd mount an inexpensive print in the center because the guests you have would probably try to pry the box open!
That's the one I found last night. I had a different one but this should do. YES, I would definitely make it look like 'art' and not 'hey, what's in here???'
Only a couple of them are up high enough for the artistic treatment. Another one will just have to be a box behind a nightstand!
We have the quilted covers on them now. They are stuffed with pink insulation batts and I keep finding pink insulation on the floors and the cords hanging out. They are not in the 'travel zone' so guests are removing the covers and not simply knocking them off.

That's the one I found last night. I had a different one but this should do. YES, I would definitely make it look like 'art' and not 'hey, what's in here???'
Only a couple of them are up high enough for the artistic treatment. Another one will just have to be a box behind a nightstand!
We have the quilted covers on them now. They are stuffed with pink insulation batts and I keep finding pink insulation on the floors and the cords hanging out. They are not in the 'travel zone' so guests are removing the covers and not simply knocking them off.
If it is behind a nightstand, could you make it a shelf for a box of Klee nex or an alarm clock - something light so it would not have to be really sturdy or heavy?

So when you take the guest to the room. Maybe you have to tell them...The AC are covered to keep the heat in and cool out for winter????? DUH!!!

So when you take the guest to the room. Maybe you have to tell them...The AC are covered to keep the heat in and cool out for winter????? DUH!!!
EmptyNest said:
If I told the guests everything I want them to know I would just move into the room with them! ;-)

EmptyNest said:
If I told the guests everything I want them to know I would just move into the room with them! ;-)
YES I KNOW...just joking :) We all know they don't read or listen anyway.

Back