COVID capers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Like many, we have had an off year. From being shut down from April thru May and essentially closed for June, it’s been quiet. I’m looking at it as a bridge to retirement.

However, even tho we’re still essentially closed, I am keeping up on all the CDC requirements and doing my due diligence to keep myself and the (very few) guests as healthy as I can given I have zero control over anything.

To that end, I came up with an entire page devoted to what we’re doing and what the guest has to do as well. It’s on our website, it’s highlighted with a link in a couple of locations, it’s on our booking software before you even get to a place to enter dates, it’s in every email I send from the initial ‘hey we got your reservation!’ to the confirmation, to the reminder, to the welcome email.

Got a reservation last night wherein I could see the guest opened the initial email. I sent the confirmation right away as I was still awake. Got a call at 6am from guests saying they have to cancel because they can’t quarantine for 14 days as they have to work. I went over the other options they had but they didn’t want to be bothered.

Could have read all the details before even making the reservation, but at least they read them before they showed up.

We just got a document from the government of questions that I have to ask before arrival. Since we are doing self-check-in, we are going to make it a requirement in order to get the self check-in information. And the government regulations specifically say if they have COVID-19, or they have signs of it, or if they haven't done the 14 day quarantine... I have to refuse them entry. I'm not allowed to even have someone who's doing their quarantine stay here.

We have added a Covid-focused email that goes out between initial confirmation email and 2-day reminder email. It mentions they have to fill out a form and send it to us. 50% do it almost immediately, 50% never respond.
So we have to get it from them at check-in.

We have added a Covid-focused email that goes out between initial confirmation email and 2-day reminder email. It mentions they have to fill out a form and send it to us. 50% do it almost immediately, 50% never respond.
So we have to get it from them at check-in.
I’m surprised how many guests have shown up with form in hand. We don’t ask for it in advance, but most have had it with them. (We do link to the form so they can see what the questions are.)

Back