Craigslist

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
I am wondering what other people's experiences have been with craigslist. Good, bad, otherwise?

I have a guest that has pretty much furnished her summer cottage using that site. Hubs was keeping an eye on a few cars he liked and the ads were all pulled. I think you have to be careful, more so than print advertising where you have to have a credit card to put the ad in.

I love craigslist. It's a great site. There are some scams, but most people can catch them pretty easily.
I personally haven't had any issues and I know alot of people that use craigslist for buying alot of household items and anything else one could think of. Or for getting rid of things instead of having a garage sale.

I used it to buy a bath chair for DH. Shipping was more than the chair but the total was far less than I would have had to pay otherwise for something else his majesty has refused to use that would be helpful to him.

I used it to give away an old couch, and also to find a car. Never had any problems.

i found an off-season rental on craigslist. found the ad in early august, rental was in late september.
my son found his apartment on craislist. in november
some ads are weird and sketchy ... you can spot them if you read carefully.

I sold something on Craig's List. We have a paper called Trader but not many people use it anymore. It seems Craig's List took over the place of the paper.

I have found great furniture deals on Craig's list. Also on Ebay you can look for things in your own zip code. I've found great furniture that way too since you can go see it before you buy.
Riki

I check Craigslist every day. Don't get most items as it seems very popular. But I have bought a cedar chest, tupperware, card table and 4 chairs, and a few other items.

I bought a car on Craig's list a couple years ago. Everything went well. The warnings I've heard is to only do transactions locally. The scams usually occur when it's done from a different state or country. Never buy any big ticket item you can't see in person.

I love craigslist! I get over 50% of my business from it.
welcome.gif

welcome.gif
Josh, How do you advertise on craigs list for your bnb or extended stay? Do you have a listing you could share with us? That would answer the question. Thanks

welcome.gif
Josh, How do you advertise on craigs list for your bnb or extended stay? Do you have a listing you could share with us? That would answer the question. Thanks
This isn't his but another sample:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trv/1003606991.html

I have never used Craigslist but DH does scan it from time to time. We have purchased a lot through ebay however - even 3 cars. I have seen ads for B&B's and other vacation rentals on ebay as well. We toyed with the idea several years ago then dropped it.
I recall one of our repeat guests that was from Seattle used Craigslist while he was here. He told us that Craigslist was better organized (or this is how I remember his statement) than ours here. He said he really had to do major searching to find what he was after. I have heard you need to be more careful with Craigslist then lets say- ebay because ebay does set certain policies in place to protect the buyer...although it is not 100% safe.
Josh - how do you get so much business through it? I am all for thinking out of the box...

welcome.gif
This isn't his but another sample:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/trv/1003606991.html
Thanks I was wondering how they were advertising on Craigs list.

I have never used Craigslist but DH does scan it from time to time. We have purchased a lot through ebay however - even 3 cars. I have seen ads for B&B's and other vacation rentals on ebay as well. We toyed with the idea several years ago then dropped it.
I recall one of our repeat guests that was from Seattle used Craigslist while he was here. He told us that Craigslist was better organized (or this is how I remember his statement) than ours here. He said he really had to do major searching to find what he was after. I have heard you need to be more careful with Craigslist then lets say- ebay because ebay does set certain policies in place to protect the buyer...although it is not 100% safe.
Josh - how do you get so much business through it? I am all for thinking out of the box....
I use Craigslist like its *ostco, wholesale. I put rooms on it with daily.weekly and Monthly Rates Reduced!
I advertise on Sublets for the city I am in, and when the room sells out, I remove it.
I am getting lots of hits from BedandBreakfast and others, But not a lot of Bookings, while others in my area do not avertise on craigslist at all.
I also have 1 B&B and the other 2 houses are Vacation Rentals/Upscale Boarding Houses.
Craigslist is great for Summer "whole House" Vacation Rentals or if you have a cottage or seperate suite! I advertise that in there "Vacation Rental" area and usually start in February! By Early may the last 4 years, I had 60-70 occupancy for the summer!
I wish Bed and Breakfast.com had a Vacation Rental site or "whole House" category.. ((John)) just thinking outside the box.
With craigslist you have to stay on top of it and do it over and over and over again, Because its free, I guess I have to "work" for my money! I would gladly pay if they had a Listing service that did automatic updates. It is a Great Service.
I have bought some Fabulous Items, such as a beautiful Leather Couch for $200 brand New. An 8 piece Baker dining Set for $475, several Flat panel TVS USED BUT IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. I bought a beautiful all wicker 7 piece outdoor set in july for $150 that is in top notch condition. My partner bought his car on there used, but $15,000 below assesed value 3 years ago.
Most people like craiglist cause its no "Hassle" and 90% deal in cash!
It's a Great Company!

Josh - how do you get so much business through it? I am all for thinking out of the box....
I use Craigslist like its *ostco, wholesale. I put rooms on it with daily.weekly and Monthly Rates Reduced!
I advertise on Sublets for the city I am in, and when the room sells out, I remove it.
I am getting lots of hits from BedandBreakfast and others, But not a lot of Bookings, while others in my area do not avertise on craigslist at all.
I also have 1 B&B and the other 2 houses are Vacation Rentals/Upscale Boarding Houses.
Craigslist is great for Summer "whole House" Vacation Rentals or if you have a cottage or seperate suite! I advertise that in there "Vacation Rental" area and usually start in February! By Early may the last 4 years, I had 60-70 occupancy for the summer!
I wish Bed and Breakfast.com had a Vacation Rental site or "whole House" category.. ((John)) just thinking outside the box.
With craigslist you have to stay on top of it and do it over and over and over again, Because its free, I guess I have to "work" for my money! I would gladly pay if they had a Listing service that did automatic updates. It is a Great Service.
I have bought some Fabulous Items, such as a beautiful Leather Couch for $200 brand New. An 8 piece Baker dining Set for $475, several Flat panel TVS USED BUT IN EXCELLENT CONDITION. I bought a beautiful all wicker 7 piece outdoor set in july for $150 that is in top notch condition. My partner bought his car on there used, but $15,000 below assesed value 3 years ago.
Most people like craiglist cause its no "Hassle" and 90% deal in cash!
It's a Great Company!
Thanks Josh. I was wondering how you use it. I have made great purchases there too and check it every day, so I could market there, but wondered how you were doing it. I have a 2 bedroom suite we opened in June that I could do as a rental. So might think about doing that too.

Back