Crank calls

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Don't know how I've got so lucky, but a bunch of kids in Newport, Virginia, have decided to call our number repeatedly around midnight for the past two nights, waking us up and making it difficult to go back to sleep.
We were able to trace the call one time and got a number, but no full address or name. When we call back it tells up the voicemail box isn't set up.
Our local hardline phone service doesn't have a call-blocking feature, so we're now forced to unplug our phone at night - not ideal for when guests on property need to reach us.
Gonna do some work on trying to solve this problem today short of driving 1,200 miles and committing multiple homicides - although right now that seems like the best and most satisfying solution.
Parents, you're giving your kids cellphones way too young.

That stinks! Short term solution- give your guests your cell number when they arrive. Call it the emergency number.

Are they saying anything or just ringing until answered? Be prepared - this is a 3-day weekend so the brats will not have school tomorrow.

Playing like they're guests and then making bathroom humor jokes. I was a Scoutmaster for years, so I recognize 12-year-old humor for what it is. And yes, I know they won't be going to bed early tonight.

I found a SMS spoofing site and sent them text messages first claiming to be the state police, and then claiming to be Verizon hoping to scare them off. Doubt it will work.

Already onboard with the cellphone issue. I hate giving guests my cellphone, but I have no choice. Gonna try and take a nap today.

Newport, Va isn't too far from you, Gillum. Mind driving over and kicking some kids' asses?

Playing like they're guests and then making bathroom humor jokes. I was a Scoutmaster for years, so I recognize 12-year-old humor for what it is. And yes, I know they won't be going to bed early tonight.

I found a SMS spoofing site and sent them text messages first claiming to be the state police, and then claiming to be Verizon hoping to scare them off. Doubt it will work.

Already onboard with the cellphone issue. I hate giving guests my cellphone, but I have no choice. Gonna try and take a nap today.

Newport, Va isn't too far from you, Gillum. Mind driving over and kicking some kids' asses?
Sounds like a good use of gas. I was good at it - of my 6 2-legged animals only one is a "lost cause" and she works, just a pot-stirring (not weed) person always with "issues" - so I did not do too bad a job. And so far, all 9 grands are on the right path...... so far.

Maybe try using a Google Voice number (free) for guests to call. Works well for us.

Maybe try using a Google Voice number (free) for guests to call. Works well for us.
I've always used a Google Voice number for my inn. It takes text messages and voice mails and forwards all to me as emails. I can read the voice transcripts, and go online to hear the actual recording, if I want.

But I don't see how it would help GoodScout with his vandals. If someone calls my Google Voice number, my cell phone still rings in the night, forwarded by Google Voice to my cell. If I turn the phone off at night, then legitimate guests couldn't get through.

I'm probably a bad host. I stopped answering the phone at night long ago. Rare that I get a call from a guest and most late-night callers weren't my people anyway. Fortunately, we live in the building and if a guest rings the doorbell, it will ding my cell phone by my bed and send me running.

I've always used a Google Voice number for my inn. It takes text messages and voice mails and forwards all to me as emails. I can read the voice transcripts, and go online to hear the actual recording, if I want.

But I don't see how it would help GoodScout with his vandals. If someone calls my Google Voice number, my cell phone still rings in the night, forwarded by Google Voice to my cell. If I turn the phone off at night, then legitimate guests couldn't get through.
Hi Arks, good point. I was thinking he could only give the Google Voice number to guests and not use it as the main business number. That way, only guests know this number, similar to giving out his personal cell number. He can turn off or disconnect the business line at night. Just a thought.

I was thinking he could only give the Google Voice number to guests and not use it as the main business number.
Yes, that should work. Shut the main business number off at night, or put it on voice mail, and give the Google number only to registered guests, as an "emergency" number. And it's free!

GoodScout, did the juvenile delinquents finally get tired of you and move on to someone or something more fun?

I finally was able to get with my phone company and (for an extra charge) add call blocking. Got a decent night's sleep last night. Not sure if it's because the blocking worked or the kiddies had to turn in early so they could terrorize their teachers today.

Don't know how I've got so lucky, but a bunch of kids in Newport, Virginia, have decided to call our number repeatedly around midnight for the past two nights, waking us up and making it difficult to go back to sleep.
We were able to trace the call one time and got a number, but no full address or name. When we call back it tells up the voicemail box isn't set up.
Our local hardline phone service doesn't have a call-blocking feature, so we're now forced to unplug our phone at night - not ideal for when guests on property need to reach us.
Gonna do some work on trying to solve this problem today short of driving 1,200 miles and committing multiple homicides - although right now that seems like the best and most satisfying solution.
Sorry to say I don’t think it’s cell phones to blame. Long long ago, in the days of landlines and no caller ID, kids I knew would gather at someone’s house with no grownups around and make crank calls. The angrier the person got, the more calls they got. I got bored with it after a half hour and went home but heard that it went on for weeks.

Sorry to say I don’t think it’s cell phones to blame. Long long ago, in the days of landlines and no caller ID, kids I knew would gather at someone’s house with no grownups around and make crank calls. The angrier the person got, the more calls they got. I got bored with it after a half hour and went home but heard that it went on for weeks.
Do you have Prince Albert in a can? Well let him out!
is your refrigerator running? These were the crank calls of the "olden days".

B&B line is mobile. But our home line we converted to VOIP about a year or two ago. They have a feature that requires you to push a random digit to collect the call and telemarkers, political calls, robo calls and scam calls have dropped to ZERO

Yesterday I got MY set of crank calls - I doubt it was the little jerks. I think mine must have been a computer generated. Shortly before 10 AM I had a call from our country non-emergency # making a safety check - they had a call/hang-up from my landline number. Nope, I did not call, all is well here. Then later in the afternoon - repeat. Just before 10 PM - repeat. (These poor people are required to do the check-up calls) 11:00 PM - repeat. Just around Midnight - repeat. 12:30 AM - repeat. This time I also told them that is my landline, it is in-coming only and automatically goes to mu cell phone. I make ALL outgoing from my cell phone and gave them THAT number. My sleep was not disturbed again last night. Either they made a note about it or the calls stopped but sleep was not disturbed again.

We got rid of our land line. Best decision we've made. Same number but on a cell phone, it's great. I have the phone on do-not-disturb turned on between 10pm-5am (since there is a Nantucket Inn in Massachusetts 3-hours ahead of us, we used to get 3am calls for room service). As a cell phone you also have the power to block calls and the best part is they let you know if it's a possible SCAM call. We do live on site so if there is an emergency, we have a call button on the front desk.
The other great thing is if you're waiting for a call, you can still go out and get your errands done.
Hope this helps!
Jessica

Update: Call Center had 1 more Monday night - at 1:30 AM. She suggested perhaps I had trouble on my phone line and should have it checked. Meant to do that yesterday but got distracted & forgot. No problems with my Internet or calls so will wait until problem raises its head again - they cannot track a problem if it is not present can they?

I keep my landline for 2 reasons: #1 it was needed for DSL so I could have Wifi (supposedly fiber optic was just installed in the City BUT #2 - it is the number listed for the B & B and has been since 1996. I do not want to mess with longevity and it keeps my cell # private (although the incoming from the landline rolls to my cell automatically, the number is not displayed).

UPDATE: Had another call from Non-Emergency this morning AND my Internet was wonky. So I call Frontier. I can switch to fiber optic - they are supposed to come tomorrow to do whatever it takes to switch, AND it may even be cheaper! THAT I like. Will know for sure on the price next month when the bill comes.

Last edited:
Back