cranky guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverbendnewbie

Reaction score
My husband and I owned a healthclub for 12 years and a restaurant for 5. We have seen our share of cranky people. Sometimes it was really hard not to blast them but we bit our tongue and said over and over in our head the customer is always right. Well we are not taking reservations just yet but I don't know if this will work with our B&B. Every incidence is different I suppose and we wil hopefull be able to mediate any problems.

This is what I always say. You know how you have a relative (We all do) who is just miserable all the time? Well sometimes they stay at B&B's!
So on ocassion you get someone who simply does not want to be there. Many many reasons. Or they are just a miserable person.
Oddly enough when they are that way, I am forced to shine the good things of life upon them. "What a beautiful day! Couldn't ask for anything better!" stuff like that.
The customer is not right, they are grouchy old coots and we have to put up with them for a spell then they are off to pour their misery on someone else.
wink_smile.gif

Plus remember we tell it like it is on the forum, but at our B&B's the guests are treated with lots of kindness. We ignore of overlook these things in person.
One time a grandmother was here with her son and wife and grandaughter for a college graduation. She did not want to be here and had an aura of misery surrounding her.
We treated her nice.
When they left the son had $40 tip on the dresser and a small note "Thank you for putting up with my mother and being kind to her!"
This poor poor man, stuck with this woman for hours in a car each day.

Sorry but the customer is not always right..but that doesn't mean you don't treat them with respect because they are a paying customer. If there is a real issue, you address it. If they are just the type that rub you the wrong way...you just let it go and move on. As we say here so often...THEY PAY...THEY STAY...THEY GO AWAY:)

I am hoping this nursing course on relationships I took last spring will help me with the crotchety ones. Then again I can also kill them with kindness--that'll fixem! One thing I have to learn is how to be "perky in the morning".I'll be ok as long as I get up early and drink a pot of strong coffee--just kidding(not about the coffee) I am used to getting up early-- at the gym with clients and as a nurse. Doesn't mean I have to like it!

I am hoping this nursing course on relationships I took last spring will help me with the crotchety ones. Then again I can also kill them with kindness--that'll fixem! One thing I have to learn is how to be "perky in the morning".I'll be ok as long as I get up early and drink a pot of strong coffee--just kidding(not about the coffee) I am used to getting up early-- at the gym with clients and as a nurse. Doesn't mean I have to like it!.
riverbendnewbie said:
I am hoping this nursing course on relationships I took last spring will help me with the crotchety ones. Then again I can also kill them with kindness--that'll fixem! One thing I have to learn is how to be "perky in the morning".I'll be ok as long as I get up early and drink a pot of strong coffee--just kidding(not about the coffee) I am used to getting up early-- at the gym with clients and as a nurse. Doesn't mean I have to like it!
Don't be too perky. ha ha Some guests are rearing to go, others are very non-perky in the morning.

riverbendnewbie said:
My husband and I owned a healthclub for 12 years and a restaurant for 5. We have seen our share of cranky people. Sometimes it was really hard not to blast them but we bit our tongue and said over and over in our head the customer is always right. Well we are not taking reservations just yet but I don't know if this will work with our B&B. Every incidence is different I suppose and we wil hopefull be able to mediate any problems.
Guess what? The customer is NOT always right. They want to think they are but it is OK to fire guests/customers who make you dread their arrival and crave their departure.

Just as some people enjoy bad health, there are some who enjoy being miserable and are not happy until they spread the joy of their misery on others. This demands a lot of frozen smiling as you count the hours until they depart and mark in your records after their name - we are FULL any time they want a room!

Back