Crazy guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This weekend we have a combo of super loud guests who do not have inside voices and in another room we have super loud kids. Thank goodness they are in the room at the far end of the house. I can feel the floor vibrating and all they’re doing is walking. Well, that and slamming the bathroom door. Put that together with having to do breakfast seatings and it’s pretty stressful.

It's always our luck that the super-loud guests are in the guest room right below our bedroom.
When it happens, we try and figure out what we did wrong to bring such karmic retribution.

We don’t usually do breakfast seatings, but I only have two tables in the dining room right now so we have to. Of course, one group didn’t show up at their appointed time so I had to shuffle everyone around. However, this is our last busy weekend for the year so I’ll deal with it.

Unfortunately, it was rainy this morning. They stayed in the room yelling and banging doors. I’m not looking forward to cleaning that room.

Unfortunately, it was rainy this morning. They stayed in the room yelling and banging doors. I’m not looking forward to cleaning that room.

This has been a crazy year, don’t know if I’m tired, bored, lazy from not doing as much business or just age catching up with me, do y’all feel a bit that way this year?

This has been a crazy year, don’t know if I’m tired, bored, lazy from not doing as much business or just age catching up with me, do y’all feel a bit that way this year?
Oh yeah. We're all feeling it. At first, I was worried that it was the 7-year-bitch hitting me.
Now I'm convinced it's the CovidCrazy that's causing most of my discontent. That, and the delays and headaches of building our new Spa.

Covid makes every interaction scary. We can’t see our grandkids cuz we have strangers in the house. We can’t go out to dinner. We can’t enjoy our guests. Every one of them is suspect! As is the bagger at the market and they guy who takes your money at the gas station. We’re under invisible pressure and yes, we feel it.

Yup. I think because it’s so slow and there’s not much we can do right now to increase occupancy we’re tired all the time. Usually we’re right out straight at this point. It would be just a few weeks before we saw our usual nosedive in guests, but it’s been dead all year.

It’s hard to be upbeat. I think we’ll perk up in a few weeks.

Covid makes every interaction scary. We can’t see our grandkids cuz we have strangers in the house. We can’t go out to dinner. We can’t enjoy our guests. Every one of them is suspect! As is the bagger at the market and they guy who takes your money at the gas station. We’re under invisible pressure and yes, we feel it.
We’ve seen some of our grandkids because they were on vacation in the state and stopped by to see us. But, no hugs. We do go out for dinner. That’s going to be tricky once everything is indoors only. It is tricky to balance having guests and taking that chance with not making any money at all. Yes, it’s pressure.

Yup. Loud. Partially bc they r feeling as if “quarantined” here also? Idk. Different folks, different, different manners. I don’t even have TV’s and one couple here this weekend has effectively “moved in”, playing movies on their laptops loud volume, talking super loud, slamming doors, etc. Other two couples are chill and quiet. Maybe pandemic stress

I miss the occasional dinner out, never were fancy folks, but a drive through burger and eating in the parking lot doesn’t have the same effect. Our physical arrangement doesn’t have guests “in the house”, but visiting with, shaking hands or hugging regulars was always a big part of what made this business fun.

I miss the occasional dinner out, never were fancy folks, but a drive through burger and eating in the parking lot doesn’t have the same effect. Our physical arrangement doesn’t have guests “in the house”, but visiting with, shaking hands or hugging regulars was always a big part of what made this business fun.
We do air hugs. It’s sad, but at least we’re still laughing about how lame it feels. Regulars are enjoying a bit of ‘normal’ while here. That part makes me happy. But, I’ll also be happy once November rolls around and we’re empty.

We decided when we re-opened in May that we would no longer accept children so that problem is solved. But we had people just this morning that had to leave at 6:30 and I swear they were wearing Dutch wooden shoes. They woke up all of the other guests, every single one....

I actually had a full house last night. The anniversary couple had come in Friday and spent Saturday seeing the covered bridges I mapped out for them. Then while he rested his back. I took her to the log house and out to feed Punjab. I gave her a 2-lb bag of carrots - she was thrilled. She was saying this morning how she could not believe a camel almost kissed her.

The2 couples traveling together ended up walking over to the new pizza place and bringing it back to eat here. Then they sat around the table playing Trivial Pursuit and having a blast. I went to bed! The dining room is the other side of my bedroom door, but I am able to access without going through the dining room. They were laughing and having a great time.

Everyone had a great time here, all chose the same time for breakfast so all were out by 10:00. Here it is 11:00 and I already have the lights turned off (people seem to know only one direction for light switches), heat off, beds stripped, trash down, plates, chargers, and the goblets from last night washed and drying, and the first load in the washer. No tips but that season is over. Having great guests is better. It is a beautiful day in the Neighborhood!

I actually had a full house last night..........

Everyone had a great time here, all chose the same time for breakfast so all were out by 10:00.

Glad you’ll have some Sunday for you. :)
Full house here last night. People still last minute booking for Podunk. Grateful.

This has been the busiest July-October I have ever had. Nothing in May and June and then everyone came stampeding in. I think folks are taking mini vacays in the mountains due to covid. People feel safer hiking the AT, horseback riding and doing other outdoor activities.

Some of my guests this year have been ruder than my usual clientele. I do a plated breakfast at 9am and I have had quite a few people get up early and drive away without letting me know in advance, or come down when everyone else is finishing up. It hasn't been much of an issue in past years.

I am glad to have the business (rude folks or not) as we had no idea what this year would bring. No kids this year made it even better...and quieter.

Yes, I too am tired of parking lot burgers on my 30 mile grocery runs, even the milkshakes taste like burgers to me!

We had a wonderful weekend with a 3 person Writing Retreat. Everyone practiced social distancing and they had a great time. Recipes are requested and reviews are glowing. I want more retreats like this one!

Back