Creative Application

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherry64

Reaction score
I was looking through some of the classifieds for innkeepers and was interested in applying for one, but it has interesting requirements. Does anyone have neat ideas for this type of application? Any input would be great.
regular_smile.gif

[h3][SIZE= 8pt]"Qualified applicants should send an initial cover letter explaining why they’re ideal for the position. Creativity in presentation is highly valued; submission of video and/or use of other creative online communication applications very welcome. "[/SIZE][/h3]

It seems to me a cleverly cloaked way to discriminate. It's not like you are applying for a Broadway musical.

Send them a batch of cookies with your resume printed in icing on the top.
I would not do a video for the reason Joey stated.
Then again, what is the place like? Is it the sort of place where you're going to need to be 'performing' all the time? If it's a cabaret type place (def: music & show venue, not strip club) would you want to be part of a 'perfomance piece' everyday. (Like being on Tori's B&B show.)

I agree that it sounds like a cleverly disguised way to discriminate.
Anyone that even asks for photos is immediately marked off my list of potential employers/clients.
If they'd discriminate like that in the very beginning, who knows what kind of unsavory things they might be doing later on.

It may be discriminatory..but have you seen all the stuff kids are doing on You Tube for their College Applications??? Many colleges are now requiring that they present some sort of video...they want to see who is creative and who stands out from the crowd.

It may be discriminatory..but have you seen all the stuff kids are doing on You Tube for their College Applications??? Many colleges are now requiring that they present some sort of video...they want to see who is creative and who stands out from the crowd..
I'm all for creativity. And if someone is applying to a relevant program (film making, editing, animating, broadcast journalism, whatever), I think it's fine to ask for a representative sample of work to know someone's skill level. As long as the video doesn't necessarily have to include the applicant's face. At that point, you may as well be asking how old are you and how attractive are you because that's what's being filtered out.
But for an employment application? Asking for a photo in America is really playing with fire. Folks do sue and there's just no reason to give them reason.
And it also eliminates a lot of good applicants. I personally always have my scam-alert on and just wouldn't consider any place that required that. But that's just me.

I agree that it sounds like a cleverly disguised way to discriminate.
Anyone that even asks for photos is immediately marked off my list of potential employers/clients.
If they'd discriminate like that in the very beginning, who knows what kind of unsavory things they might be doing later on..
Wow, you guys are probably right. I never even thought about it as a clever way to discriminate.
confused_smile.gif
One wouldn't have to send a video, but they really, really want you to.
Thanks for the input.

It may be discriminatory..but have you seen all the stuff kids are doing on You Tube for their College Applications??? Many colleges are now requiring that they present some sort of video...they want to see who is creative and who stands out from the crowd..
I'm all for creativity. And if someone is applying to a relevant program (film making, editing, animating, broadcast journalism, whatever), I think it's fine to ask for a representative sample of work to know someone's skill level. As long as the video doesn't necessarily have to include the applicant's face. At that point, you may as well be asking how old are you and how attractive are you because that's what's being filtered out.
But for an employment application? Asking for a photo in America is really playing with fire. Folks do sue and there's just no reason to give them reason.
And it also eliminates a lot of good applicants. I personally always have my scam-alert on and just wouldn't consider any place that required that. But that's just me.
No the kids just applying for admittance to a college are being required to do videos...not for a special dept.

No the kids just applying for admittance to a college are being required to do videos...not for a special dept.
Kind of crazy but I know you're right. My nieces and nephews have all told me the same stories and they all now have youtube videos of themselves for that very reason.
Personally, though, I still think it's a really bad idea all around. Especially if they're being asked to upload them onto youtube.

A lot of those kids are doing it themselves, it's not a college app requirement. A few colleges are appalled at what's being sent in and yes, the kids are posting them on YouTube and they're being laughed at. Or, other students at the college are saying things like, 'Hope that one doesn't get in.'
It's an incredibly stupid thing to do for entry into a usual college program. Visual arts, maybe, math major, probably not.
Of course, the admissions offices all know what's coming next...parents hiring professionals to make a video. Directors, producers, sound engineeers, the whole thing.
I think any college that is requiring a video for entrance (unless it is somehow an 'arts' program) is absolutely wrong.

A lot of those kids are doing it themselves, it's not a college app requirement. A few colleges are appalled at what's being sent in and yes, the kids are posting them on YouTube and they're being laughed at. Or, other students at the college are saying things like, 'Hope that one doesn't get in.'
It's an incredibly stupid thing to do for entry into a usual college program. Visual arts, maybe, math major, probably not.
Of course, the admissions offices all know what's coming next...parents hiring professionals to make a video. Directors, producers, sound engineeers, the whole thing.
I think any college that is requiring a video for entrance (unless it is somehow an 'arts' program) is absolutely wrong.
Morticia said:
I completely agree.

Back