Credit Card Expiration Date

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
The booking is for 10/10.
The expiration date they put on the online rez is 08/10.
Do we assume they will get a new credit card by 10/10?

Joey Bloggs said:
Do we assume they will get a new credit card by 10/10?
Yes. The card expires when it expires, and the guest can only go with what is in hand. It's good until it expires, and the CC company will reissue just before that. The CC company, on the other hand, is not going to wait until expiration to cancel if the cardholder is a problem; they'd do it long before then, and the card wouldn't be working.

Like I said yesterday, I put a reminder to contact the guest in the month the new card should arrive. In the reservation confirmation (if I send it, I might just send an email) I state they need to contact me with the correct info as of the expiration date or their reservation will be canceled.
So far everyone has contacted me except a repeat guest.
If you've done nothing yet, I'd email first and ask for a valid card. State the card has to be valid as of the date of arrival, not the date of booking.

I just got one that is coming in April 30 for 2 nights. The CC expires May 1, would you just wait till they are here to ask for the CC? I did run it for the 1st night , that is our policy for the deposit.

I just got one that is coming in April 30 for 2 nights. The CC expires May 1, would you just wait till they are here to ask for the CC? I did run it for the 1st night , that is our policy for the deposit..
MTLLodge said:
I just got one that is coming in April 30 for 2 nights. The CC expires May 1, would you just wait till they are here to ask for the CC? I did run it for the 1st night , that is our policy for the deposit.
Same problem I came across, I guess the point for us is we require a valid credit card for the reservation, so we will have to believe the new cc will be in hand by check in. OR we could email and ask "Would you like me to charge both nights since your card is only valid until May1st?"

I guess this is another good point to the way we do our deposits. I do take the CC info with the reservation but do not take the deposit until the last date to cancel. So there is no need for a seperate check list for expiry dates. If the card expiry date has passed, I will contact them for their new card info and go from there. I do make a note on the confirmation that they need to provide me with their new card info when it comes in but we all know that these things do not surface the mind at that time - it has happened but rarely!

Back