Credit card machines

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradise

Reaction score
My apologies if this has been recently discussed. I tried searching, but didn't locate the answer.
I currently pay $30/mos PLUS 2.5% for swipe & 3% for manual transactions (i.e. 1/2 of all, since we take a deposit at the time of booking) & am seeking a less expensive option.
Does one exist? Any info. appreciated.
Thanks!

$30 per month, does this mean you are renting the machine? Is this the old thing where children find out their grandparents are still paying rental fees monthly on an old beat up phone vs buying their own?
If so, buy the machine, and get out from under rental fees. Our monthly access fee is $5 per month, plus transaction charges. This is through BB&T processing.

Has anyone heard about the app for the smart phones which makes the phone a cc processor? IF that works that would really help us with our wine tours.
RIki

Has anyone heard about the app for the smart phones which makes the phone a cc processor? IF that works that would really help us with our wine tours.
RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
This was posted on here awhile ago with a link. Not sure how to find it again. But a Google search on smartphone credit card processing would probably do the trick. Haven't seen it in action.

RIki.
egoodell said:
RIki
This was posted on here awhile ago with a link. Not sure how to find it again. But a Google search on smartphone credit card processing would probably do the trick. Haven't seen it in action.
Alibi Ike said:
egoodell said:
RIki
I was just wondering if anyone knows of any being used yet. When I went to look at the droid at Verizon the rep didn't seem to know anything about it.
RIki

Unless you are renting your machine and I agree get off lease if you can but often you can't .... you should not be paying ANY monthly fees.
No statement fees
No monthly fees
Just your per transaction & batch fees
If you are paying statement and monthly fees call around and get some new quotes (they will ask you for your last statements).
Then call your current processor and tell them to match the new rates or you will be switching.

Unless you are renting your machine and I agree get off lease if you can but often you can't .... you should not be paying ANY monthly fees.
No statement fees
No monthly fees
If you are paying statement and monthly fees call around and get some new quotes (they will ask you for your last statements).
Then call your current processor and tell them to match the new rates or you will be switching..
We live on a small island, so unfortunately, "calling around" isn't really an option.
Does anyone know where you can BUY these machines & then I'd "just" be paying the 2.5 or 5% per transaction fees...
ps. We looking into being a beta-testing area for the iPhone swipe cc processor (they use them in the Apple store-at least they did at one in MA-for those who wanted to see it in action), but they were only testing limited areas & ours wasn't one of them-bummer.
Thx!

No statement fees
No monthly fees
Then call your current processor and tell them to match the new rates or you will be switching..
We live on a small island, so unfortunately, "calling around" isn't really an option.
Does anyone know where you can BUY these machines & then I'd "just" be paying the 2.5 or 5% per transaction fees...
ps. We looking into being a beta-testing area for the iPhone swipe cc processor (they use them in the Apple store-at least they did at one in MA-for those who wanted to see it in action), but they were only testing limited areas & ours wasn't one of them-bummer.
Thx!
Ask you processor what model is required then just do a Google search. There are tons of them on line you can buy. NEVER LEASE!!! We got stuck with that because we didn't know any better and we paid for 2 years and could have bought 3 or 4 for what we paid for a lease!! GRRRRR.

No statement fees
No monthly fees
Thx!
We bought our first online, our updated version from our cc processor. You should be able to find one at ebay.
Riki

No statement fees
No monthly fees
Thx!
We bought ours on Ebay.

Lucky you paradise, living on an island - which one? I lived on Mauritius for 2+ years!!
Better yet, tell your processor to GIVE you one (yes they will ... often they have refurb or returned......)
Remember too that most banks offer cc processing so that may be an option in "shopping around".

I have a 2nd hand Hypercom unit I'll sell for $50.00.
It was previously owned by a little old lady that only used it on the weekends. No, really!
We bought a new unit with a smaller footprint because our desk space was limited. The older one is just sitting in a box.

It was previously owned by a little old lady that only used it on the weekends. No, really!
We bought a new unit with a smaller footprint because our desk space was limited. The older one is just sitting in a box..
Proud Texan said:
We bought a new unit with a smaller footprint because our desk space was limited. The older one is just sitting in a box.
Sounds like it should be on the way from one paradise to another
wink_smile.gif

Does anyone use NPC through PAII?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Does anyone use NPC through PAII?
Yes.
Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes.
Have you been happy with them and do you think their rates are good?
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes.
Here's the thing with NPC- I have not found anyone who can match their rates and this is with handing over what I consider confidential business info to strangers who say they can beat NPC's rates and all of whom have come back and said they can't, or have never gotten back to me. Now, if you want my money, you really do need to return my calls.
The bone of contention with NPC is that you cannot get out of the contract without paying a fee. And the fee is substantial. So, if you can get in there with no fee, it really seems to be a good rate. Altho, you cannot figure out their statement no matter what kind of business degree you may have. And they have add on fees for everything that is not a plain vanilla card.
Fees for rewards cards, business cards, international cards, batching out late, you name it there is a fee for it. And yet, none of the companies who swore they could beat them were able to. Heartland comes to mind. Sam's Club was another one.
If it wasn't required to have a printer and computer in the guest area, I would switch to QuickBooks processing. They seemed to have the best rates. But I do not want to walk off holding the guest's credit card in order to use my computer in my office to do the transaction. And I don't have a printer in the guest area.
I really think the smartphone app might be the way of the future. Email the receipt to the guest!

Does anyone use NPC through PAII?.
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes.
Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes.
Breakfast Diva said:
Alibi Ike said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Yes.
Here's the thing with NPC- I have not found anyone who can match their rates and this is with handing over what I consider confidential business info to strangers who say they can beat NPC's rates and all of whom have come back and said they can't, or have never gotten back to me. Now, if you want my money, you really do need to return my calls.
The bone of contention with NPC is that you cannot get out of the contract without paying a fee. And the fee is substantial. So, if you can get in there with no fee, it really seems to be a good rate. Altho, you cannot figure out their statement no matter what kind of business degree you may have. And they have add on fees for everything that is not a plain vanilla card.
Fees for rewards cards, business cards, international cards, batching out late, you name it there is a fee for it. And yet, none of the companies who swore they could beat them were able to. Heartland comes to mind. Sam's Club was another one.
If it wasn't required to have a printer and computer in the guest area, I would switch to QuickBooks processing. They seemed to have the best rates. But I do not want to walk off holding the guest's credit card in order to use my computer in my office to do the transaction. And I don't have a printer in the guest area.
I really think the smartphone app might be the way of the future. Email the receipt to the guest!
We just had NPC (through PAII) evaluate our August statement for comparison. It turns out that they are only able to save us $10 on our busiest month of processing. Certainly not worth changing over. We had been with Tom Weiscott (sp?) and he no longer does the processing, so then our statements came from Payment Alliance Internation (PAI), so we were unsure if our rates had changed or not. It's good to know that we're still getting good rates. You're absolutely right that it's impossible to compare on your own the rates and charges that these companies offer!
Thanks for your input. Since we decided to stay with what we've got, I didn't question NPC about contracts, but that definitely a red flag for anyone looking to switch.

I use Innpayment and I am very happy just paying a small percentage for processing, that is it. No machines to buy or rent, all on computer. Also no batching fees.

Back