Credit card name doesn't match guest name?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a lady who regularly pays for her son and daughter in law to stay with us because she only has a one bed flat and it makes a nice treat for them as well. They always bring her a ton of gifts and flower so I don't think it is a money thing.

Got another one today..
What's up with mommy & daddy paying for vacations? Am I really out of touch with the way the world works now?
Morticia said:
What's up with mommy & daddy paying for vacations? Am I really out of touch with the way the world works now?
Don't think we are so out of touch.............maybe just that the world is moving ahead of us at a quicker pace than we imagine, or like.
Here....in the last 10 years or so more and more of the local high school kids are driving brand new cars......and most are not toyota tercells or nissan sentras.......you know entry level cars......we're talking........Altimas or maximas....BMW 3 series....Mercedes C series.......SUV's,.....if not brand new, they are 1 - 2 years old...........not so many of the clunker type cars as when I attended high school.
More and more kids are professional students
There are some nice kids out there...........majority of the entitlement mentality.......and what realy bothers me most.......the mindset of many of the parents...........sheltering their kids from the reality of life......I know of far to many that for what ever reason they've become unemployed......but they don't cut back..........and our school district, many of the districts won't face reality to implement austerity programs. Like when I was in school.

I don't know to many parents that wouldn't do for their kids.....give to their kids...
Wondering if the young adults of today will be able to provide for their children as their parents do today ?

We have kids traveling to visit their parents and the parents worry about them driving straight through and pay for them to stay the night.

One day as the saying goes...the more you make the more you spend. When we first landed back in Southern CA after living overseas, DH was SHOCKED by the number of luxury vehicles, with youth driving them. I said, Hey, anyone can lease.
poke.gif

Yeah Joey
I am fully aware of the more you make, the more you spend.......I was of that mindset in the 80's and early 90's........what a ride
I feel it is more the credit explosion....I have a credit card.....my limit is $68,000.00........another that is $45,000.00
Never have I ever maxed these cards, not even as they were increasing my limits annualy........I always knew it would have to be paid........why would I ever imagine using that much credit
I can't tell you how many folks just don't realize that monthly payments add up.....and that anything can happen where one might not be able to make the payments.......far to many folks living paycheck to paycheck.
Just this past weekend I had run a monthly charge for a customer....declined.....called them 4 times, cause the prior 3 cards were declined......and this women was casual in saying each time..........guess it's maxed out.
Another last year the wife had her hours cut in half.......and today still not at full time. Husband has not gotten a raise or bonus for 3 years....Guess what they went and did ?........leased a Porsche Cayenne last month......they owe me $
I could go on and on with stories just like this.
Oh this is a good one............Wife had hours cut last year......husband now works 4 days a week.........and they cry the blues..........you can't even walk in their basement cause their kids have every imaginable toy possible......I've been down there, the sprinkler clock is down there........I offered to reduce service 2 years in a row.......they didn't take it......and they are in the rears in payments that started 3 seasons ago.........some how they pay up every spring......and just a couple weeks ago he was going on and on, how he may have to take over the work..........while discussing with me about replacing a couple sprinkler heads........I told him go to Home Depot buy what you need and do it yourself.
Oh no............he will have nothing to do with doing it himself...........isn't that he just told me?
clueless and helpless..................can't fix stupid

One Day I am vehemently opposed to this as well. We have teens without cell phones in this house, and guess who else? MOI. I know I know hard to believe! I am about to go away for two nights, without a cell phone and I will survive.
We had one of their friends here at the dining table Wed night whose cell phone went off, DH said "You know what happens to people who talk on a cell phone at our table?..." He put it back in his pocket.
If anyone is interested DAVE RAMSAY is a financial advisor online, on radio, etc. I hear him only once in a while and his statement "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!" and the usual Money doesn't solve money problems. http://www.daveramsey.com/

Dave Ramsey is great........every time i have heard him or saw him on the tv...........always sound advice
and it burns me as well kids......10 years old with cell phones
Just this past spring.......was working, across the way was a bus stop...elementary......2 girls were texting.............they were texting each other...........in the middle of the texts I saw and heard them commenting on what the other texted
And the cloths.........How do parents let some of these girls leave the house dressed the way are?
hahahahaaha.............gotta tell you this
Sunday I had gone to Costco......saw a spanish couple get out of their SUV........the woman........wearing fish net stockings over her panties....and a tank top tucked in.......that's it.
I'm finding the more I see around me today........the less I understand

Dave Ramsey is great........every time i have heard him or saw him on the tv...........always sound advice
Just this past spring.......was working, across the way was a bus stop...elementary......2 girls were texting.............they were texting each other...........in the middle of the texts I saw and heard them commenting on what the other texted
And the cloths.........How do parents let some of these girls leave the house dressed the way are?
Sunday I had gone to Costco......saw a spanish couple get out of their SUV........the woman........wearing fish net stockings over her panties....and a tank top tucked in.......that's it.
I'm finding the more I see around me today........the less I understand.
One Day wrote:
wow.gif

People just buy things on the never never and hope it never comes. I bought my new computer on HP but with the option to pay extra and paid it off in 6 months by every time I had a little extra I paid it onto the account even if it was just $15 and it all adds up. But people just don't think it is worth bothering so when something happens ie loose job they are really in the crap. I have a friend who has been crying to me about not having money and not being able to afford his rent etc and he has been on at least on holiday this year and is spending $3000 on 3 weeks in Africa (paid up front) and lost his job basically because he went out on saturday nights got drunk and didn't turn up! So as punishment they cut his hours and he was complainling well you didn't turn up your problem. and this was on 4 occasions if you didn't turn up for me you would have had your pink slip waiting for you. People like that deserve no sympathy none at all.

One Day said:
I have neighbors who have 4 children and she's a stay at home Mom, they gave their 13 year old daughter an IPhone for her 13th birthday.....

One Day said:
I have neighbors who have 4 children and she's a stay at home Mom, they gave their 13 year old daughter an IPhone for her 13th birthday.....
Problem is..........."all my friends have one"
I don't know what age would be appropriate.......but, how about teaching kids morals, values and common sense instead of feeling the need to be tethered to them by some electronic devise.
Want the kids home at a certain time after dinner..........be home when the street lights turn on......want them home in the afternoon........come home after school........and how far will kids go walking?
If you communicate.........realy communicate with your kids.......you know what they do, where they go and you should trust them..........if you don't trust them..........that's your fault.

One Day I am vehemently opposed to this as well. We have teens without cell phones in this house, and guess who else? MOI. I know I know hard to believe! I am about to go away for two nights, without a cell phone and I will survive.
We had one of their friends here at the dining table Wed night whose cell phone went off, DH said "You know what happens to people who talk on a cell phone at our table?..." He put it back in his pocket.
If anyone is interested DAVE RAMSAY is a financial advisor online, on radio, etc. I hear him only once in a while and his statement "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging!" and the usual Money doesn't solve money problems. http://www.daveramsey.com/.
Last summer I took the Dave Ramsey class. Empowering! I stopped using credit cards, made financial priorities and although the struggle has not stopped alot of financial stress has.

I'm going through in my head all sorts of scenarios regarding the 3rd party payment........conclusion..........the Gift Card seems the most logical end solution
Though I would imagine that the 3rd party would be.....lets say....put out by having to pay in full, in advance for what ever # of nights stay.....then again..........the gift card is not all that different than a gift card for any retailer or a Visa gift card....of if they pruchased for a gift a flat screen tv......instead of the 2 nights stay.
On a side note.........do you find folks becoming more crafty or more folks trying to get out of cancellation payments, short stay cancellations.....weasel discounts?........more declined charges?.
Folks are becoming more scheming. I have had a couple people in the last couple of months know the cancellation policy, choose not to stay at the last minute (my post about the urban location) and then ask the credit card company what the charges are.
I then get a fax from the credit card company and I submit all of the paperwork and that is that. It is as though if they tell the credit card company "I don't know what this is, I did not authorize it", they will get a refund, no harm done. A great deal of harm is done to the business owner who could not re rent the room at last minute. Fortunately I do send in all of the paperwork and that is the end of it. They have not been getting a refund. Thankful that I am learning to keep to my 14 day cancellation policy and billing in advance avoids many of the issues being discussed on this thread.
On a happier note, I have a house full of HAPPY guests this week. One family is taking me for dinner! I love my job!
angel_smile.gif

Another point we deal regularly with a booking agency who send us a credit card number to charge for the stay and they bill the companies they represent at the end of the month. We simply charge the card and then post the receipts back to them (ie credit card receipt and bill with names of customers on etc) So far we havn't had a problem. The nearest thing to having a problem was when a company rang and it was obviously the secretary who is in charge of sorting out the expenses rang to say one of their people had charged a stay with us to the compancy card and was not owning up to it and she was sure it was them not us who was wrong could we check the date it was charged and we sorted out who it was who had stayed and emailed them a scanned copy of the receipt. She was perfectly happy with that as she said they were like herding cats and it was always like this chasing them for receipts.

Had one yesterday with the wife ringing up to pay for the hubands stay was a Bit wary but when I met him I can see why she does all the arranging and paying as he wasn't fit to be let out!

Green Cat Welcome!
Some of our good friends live in Poulsbo, he is the fire chief there! I just got an email from them today.
We used to live in Port Orchard and Gig Harbor and spent much time in YOUR neck of the woods, especially at your bakery there! Oh and of course would have halibut and chips near you as well overlooking the little harbor.
Are you new to the area there? If not, we might have some others in common as well.

So, I went with popular opinion and took a third party cc. Gomez is calling this one a 'no show'. We've put the note out because she's now 4 hours after her planned check in time and I am beat.
We haven't heard from her and I'm getting into my pj's.

Back