Credit card name doesn't match guest name?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
And the email bounced. Guest is due to arrive today, booked last night at midnight. No idea how many in party, nothing 'agrees'. So? Try phone number?

Yes, try the phone number. Have you verified the card? Did they give you the CVC code from the back of the card?
There could be a simple explanation. It could be that someone other than the guest is paying for the room.

Definately! Sometime they don't match with us if it is a company card and they request that we charge it to the company ie it says this on the booking notes or they ring and say could we charge the card and send it in to the company etc. but otherwise it does seem a bit dodgy.

Yes, try the phone number. Have you verified the card? Did they give you the CVC code from the back of the card?
There could be a simple explanation. It could be that someone other than the guest is paying for the room..
We cannot accept the CVC code. And, yes, someone else could be paying, but unless THAT someone calls me and buys a GC in advance, I don't allow second party payment. I need the card and it has to have the same name on it.

Guest used wrong ending on email (.com vs .net). Found correct email and now get out of office message. Have found both guest names and neither is a child altho a child is mentioned in booking notes. But child NOT included in booking price.

There could be a simple explanation. It could be that someone other than the guest is paying for the room..
We cannot accept the CVC code. And, yes, someone else could be paying, but unless THAT someone calls me and buys a GC in advance, I don't allow second party payment. I need the card and it has to have the same name on it.
Morticia said:
I don't understand how you took the credit card in the first place? How do you know the names differ?
When you verify a card, there is no way to know if the name on the card is different from the guest's name until I physically have the card in my hand to swipe it. If it is a valid credit card it will go through even if that number has been stolen. Hopefully if someone is using a stolen card or number, the actual owner of the card will have reported it stolen and the credit card will not validate on you end.

Morticia said:
I don't understand how you took the credit card in the first place? How do you know the names differ?
When you verify a card, there is no way to know if the name on the card is different from the guest's name until I physically have the card in my hand to swipe it. If it is a valid credit card it will go through even if that number has been stolen. Hopefully if someone is using a stolen card or number, the actual owner of the card will have reported it stolen and the credit card will not validate on you end.
Proud Texan said:
Hm, Maybe Morticia uses a similar cc processing to ours - I can see how this could happen to us. Our reservation req form (the standard one from Webervations) requires the cc type, number, expiration, and name on card..but not CVC. When we process the card (we don't have a swipe mechanism, only web input), we need the name of cardholder, billing address, card number and expiration...but again, no CVC.
IDK what I'd do in this situation, but I can tell we now have another dinner conversation topic.

Morticia said:
Proud Texan said:
Hm, Maybe Morticia uses a similar cc processing to ours - I can see how this could happen to us. Our reservation req form (the standard one from Webervations) requires the cc type, number, expiration, and name on card..but not CVC. When we process the card (we don't have a swipe mechanism, only web input), we need the name of cardholder, billing address, card number and expiration...but again, no CVC.
IDK what I'd do in this situation, but I can tell we now have another dinner conversation topic.
Red Handed Jill said:
I know it doesn't help this situation, but I think I was told that because of new compliancy regulations the CVC code will be a requirement in the near future. I may be mistaken. I just know I had to purchase a new credit card machine because they were making some changes in how cards were verified.

Morticia said:
The person who made the rez put in the name on the card (as is required) when they filled in the form. The guest names and the cc holder's name were different. Way too different to be a wife using her new name.

Morticia said:
Proud Texan said:
Red Handed Jill said:
I know it doesn't help this situation, but I think I was told that because of new compliancy regulations the CVC code will be a requirement in the near future. I may be mistaken. I just know I had to purchase a new credit card machine because they were making some changes in how cards were verified.
Proud Texan said:
Red Handed Jill said:
I hate to open this up again, but the new requirements state we may not 'store' the CVC. So, guest makes online rez and pus in CVC and voila! we are 'storing' the CVC until we remove it. So, I have my online system set to not even ask for the CVC.

Upshot...guest called stated she was using someone else's card and that person made the rez. Told her we could not accept the rez unless she had the means to pay herself. Also told her there is a charge for all guests in the room.
She cancelled. Problem solved. My guess is that they found someplace that would take someone else's card as payment.

We need NAME on the card and address as well. It all has to match. I am done with those 3rd party bookings, oh they rile me up to no end! Always a problem.

Morticia
Other than this confirmation and payment problem..
Why would you not accept another persons payment?........as if someone else was paying for a birthday present?........I understand you provide gift cards....
Is it that you would not accept a cc from a 3rd party cause of....confirmation, cancellation problems?........damages to the property?.......the 3rd party disputing the charge, stating they never stayed there?

Morticia
Other than this confirmation and payment problem..
Why would you not accept another persons payment?........as if someone else was paying for a birthday present?........I understand you provide gift cards....
Is it that you would not accept a cc from a 3rd party cause of....confirmation, cancellation problems?........damages to the property?.......the 3rd party disputing the charge, stating they never stayed there?.
Yes, I'm curious about this too. I take a lot of third party payments, and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I have a problem with it, but have not...to date. But a lot of problems are popping up lately that I've never had, so would like to be prepared.

One Day you stated my reasons right there. One time we had a 3rd party (last year) and the card was declined, I refused to let the guests leave til they paid, they called the card holder and she was not there. Then they called someone ELSE who gave me their cc details to pay for their stay, it was a real mess.
Another time the college paid for a guest speaker who no showed and then they refused to pay for it. We had a P.O. and after that i required a credit card and charged in full in advance. They were jerks about it. And then...yet another time, a travel dept for a health care system, refused to pay up til they had ALL OF OUR personal details like SS#'s etc, I was not pleased with that one at all!
I suggest a GC if they want to pay for another persons room. If at all possible. It also states on it NO CASH VALUE.

I'm going through in my head all sorts of scenarios regarding the 3rd party payment........conclusion..........the Gift Card seems the most logical end solution
Though I would imagine that the 3rd party would be.....lets say....put out by having to pay in full, in advance for what ever # of nights stay.....then again..........the gift card is not all that different than a gift card for any retailer or a Visa gift card....of if they pruchased for a gift a flat screen tv......instead of the 2 nights stay.
On a side note.........do you find folks becoming more crafty or more folks trying to get out of cancellation payments, short stay cancellations.....weasel discounts?........more declined charges?

I'm going through in my head all sorts of scenarios regarding the 3rd party payment........conclusion..........the Gift Card seems the most logical end solution
Though I would imagine that the 3rd party would be.....lets say....put out by having to pay in full, in advance for what ever # of nights stay.....then again..........the gift card is not all that different than a gift card for any retailer or a Visa gift card....of if they pruchased for a gift a flat screen tv......instead of the 2 nights stay.
On a side note.........do you find folks becoming more crafty or more folks trying to get out of cancellation payments, short stay cancellations.....weasel discounts?........more declined charges?.
Well, definitely more declined charges here! Three of them in the past thirty days, two of which were for four day stays...all of which were people that I had to call to confirm (or try to, if they bothered to answer their phones or emails). Hence, my new procedures of full authorizations in advance.

And all of this discussion with what could happen with a third party payment is making me rethink my procedures there also. Just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. People are sneakier than they used to be, and more of the MEMEMEMEME attitude, as was discussed in another thread.

On a side note.........do you find folks becoming more crafty or more folks trying to get out of cancellation payments, short stay cancellations.....weasel discounts?........more declined charges?.
One Day said:
a side note.........do you find folks becoming more crafty or more folks trying to get out of cancellation payments, short stay cancellations.....weasel discounts?........more declined charges?
No, I find taking a days deposit at the time of reservation results in none of the above. I've only had one no show no call, and a couple of late cancels, and none disputed being charged in full.

Back