Credit Card/Online payment/Paypal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knerrsotb

Reaction score
My husband and I are getting ready to open our Bed and Breakfast in San Carlos, Sonora Mexico. We would like your input on which system to use for accepting credit/debit cards. Also do any of you use Paypal? What system do you use as far as online reservations/payments?
Thank you all for you assistance!
Kristin

We use webervations, which requires a seperate credit card processor, for which we use CellCharge...inexpensive, reliable and no equipment needed.

I use Intuit Processing in conjunction with RezovationGT. This is about as easy as it gets.
Paypal is not a great rate and doesn't offer anywhere near the protection needed for lodging payment. Paypal offers very little protection unless you are actually shipping a product.

I use Intuit Processing in conjunction with RezovationGT. This is about as easy as it gets.
Paypal is not a great rate and doesn't offer anywhere near the protection needed for lodging payment. Paypal offers very little protection unless you are actually shipping a product..
AND, paypal now requires a "reserve" of 20% stay in the account, so you can't access 20% of your money for a certain time frame...I forget how long it is, but it caused me to stop using it even to sell on ebay...

Paypal is not a great rate and doesn't offer anywhere near the protection needed for lodging payment. Paypal offers very little protection unless you are actually shipping a product..
AND, paypal now requires a "reserve" of 20% stay in the account, so you can't access 20% of your money for a certain time frame...I forget how long it is, but it caused me to stop using it even to sell on ebay...
AND, paypal now requires a "reserve" of 20% stay in the account, so you can't access 20% of your money for a certain time frame...
Really? I haven't seen anything on that yet, when did that start? I have a business set-up on Paypal (not B&B related) and was able to withdraw 100% of my money today. Maybe the reserve is only for individual accounts??

AND, paypal now requires a "reserve" of 20% stay in the account, so you can't access 20% of your money for a certain time frame...
Really? I haven't seen anything on that yet, when did that start? I have a business set-up on Paypal (not B&B related) and was able to withdraw 100% of my money today. Maybe the reserve is only for individual accounts??
Rolling reserve: 20% will be held in your account for 60 days.
Why was a reserve placed on my account?
Sometimes we need to temporarily set aside some money in your account to make sure that you can cover any potential reversals or chargebacks.
What are the different types of reserves?
  • Rolling reserve: A certain percentage of the money you receive each day is set aside and then released after a certain number of days.
  • Minimum reserve: The minimum that you need to keep in your account at all times. We'll hold a percentage of each day's payments until you reach your minimum reserve.
Will a reserve ever change?
We may adjust your reserve from time to time. You'll always find your reserve listed on your Account Overview. We'll notify you if your reserve changes.

The moment we obtained our business lic. 9+ years ago we were bombarded with phone calls from credit card processors and they all promise the moon. I hate it. It NEVER stops.
Truth is...I search out the best companies and I have switched processors 5 times in 9 years, always chasing the better deal, and I am never thrilled, as some cost is always hidden, and customer service may be lacking. My criteria?..best possible retension of my sales dollars and best possible customer service. I have found my credit card messiah, and it is InnPayment. I pay them a flat rate of 2.19% on my total sales processed through them. Period. No access charges, no other fees at all, not even a monthly statement fee. I am tickled to tears. My statement is simple - about six lines...basically, you processed $XXXX.xx at 2.19% and paid us $XXX.xx. I love it!
It is all done over the internet, so no extra phone line needed, and no equipment either. You may process American Express through them too, but AE bills you separately and at a much hiher percentage rate.
Be careful not to fall for the "really great rate" the cc processors promise you. It is not reality. The low rate they quote is only applicable to a very small percentage of your transactions, if any at all, and there are ALOT of hidden costs you are not aware of until you get your first bill and freak out. The bottom line is what percentage of your cc sales is kept by the processor, not what rate they "say" you are getting.
The only downside is that I must enter the customer's cc", address, phone - everything, for each transaction using the computer keyboard. I am willing to do this for the simplicity, price and no equipment. I still use my second phone line for a fax, but I am thinking of ditching that for the internet fax as well.

The rolling reserve is for certain types of businesses, including lodging.
aieechihuahua: Thanks for the the tip about Innpayment. I use Cellcharge, so do the exact same thing you do to process a charge. So simple...I love it!

We are also searching for a less expensive way to process cc's, specially because we are a seasonal business and don't use the cc machine4-5 months out of the year and still pay a monthly processing fee...its killing us at a rate of thousands of $$ a year. may check into the innpayment system..what is their website info?

The moment we obtained our business lic. 9+ years ago we were bombarded with phone calls from credit card processors and they all promise the moon. I hate it. It NEVER stops.
Truth is...I search out the best companies and I have switched processors 5 times in 9 years, always chasing the better deal, and I am never thrilled, as some cost is always hidden, and customer service may be lacking. My criteria?..best possible retension of my sales dollars and best possible customer service. I have found my credit card messiah, and it is InnPayment. I pay them a flat rate of 2.19% on my total sales processed through them. Period. No access charges, no other fees at all, not even a monthly statement fee. I am tickled to tears. My statement is simple - about six lines...basically, you processed $XXXX.xx at 2.19% and paid us $XXX.xx. I love it!
It is all done over the internet, so no extra phone line needed, and no equipment either. You may process American Express through them too, but AE bills you separately and at a much hiher percentage rate.
Be careful not to fall for the "really great rate" the cc processors promise you. It is not reality. The low rate they quote is only applicable to a very small percentage of your transactions, if any at all, and there are ALOT of hidden costs you are not aware of until you get your first bill and freak out. The bottom line is what percentage of your cc sales is kept by the processor, not what rate they "say" you are getting.
The only downside is that I must enter the customer's cc", address, phone - everything, for each transaction using the computer keyboard. I am willing to do this for the simplicity, price and no equipment. I still use my second phone line for a fax, but I am thinking of ditching that for the internet fax as well..
So, they do not charge you a different rate for debit cards or foreign cards? How about rewards cards. Nearly everybody uses them these days and my processor hits me hard with an additional charge for them. Of course, someone has to pay for the rewards and it sure as heck isn't going to be the credit card company. So, please clarify, this is it- 2.19 %?

We are also searching for a less expensive way to process cc's, specially because we are a seasonal business and don't use the cc machine4-5 months out of the year and still pay a monthly processing fee...its killing us at a rate of thousands of $$ a year. may check into the innpayment system..what is their website info?.
www.innpayment.com

Has anyone here used H e artland Payment Systems? It is what Superinn is using now to process their payments through their online reservation system. I am researching it now.

We are also searching for a less expensive way to process cc's, specially because we are a seasonal business and don't use the cc machine4-5 months out of the year and still pay a monthly processing fee...its killing us at a rate of thousands of $$ a year. may check into the innpayment system..what is their website info?.
www.innpayment.com
For some reason this link did not work - correct web address though. Not much info on the site, more was provided here than on it as they request you contact them.
One thing they did memtion that I found interesting is the customer-paid convenience fee option they offer... I thought that was against the CC policies???? But do recall when we were in Eruope last year we were charged a fee for international fees (yes, this was in addition to the exchange rate), I just thought they had different policies.

www.innpayment.com
For some reason this link did not work - correct web address though. Not much info on the site, more was provided here than on it as they request you contact them.
One thing they did memtion that I found interesting is the customer-paid convenience fee option they offer... I thought that was against the CC policies???? But do recall when we were in Eruope last year we were charged a fee for international fees (yes, this was in addition to the exchange rate), I just thought they had different policies.
hmmmm, it worked for me. Try it again.

The only downside is that I must enter the customer's cc", address, phone - everything, for each transaction using the computer keyboard. I am willing to do this for the simplicity, price and no equipment. I still use my second phone line for a fax, but I am thinking of ditching that for the internet fax as well..
So, they do not charge you a different rate for debit cards or foreign cards? How about rewards cards. Nearly everybody uses them these days and my processor hits me hard with an additional charge for them. Of course, someone has to pay for the rewards and it sure as heck isn't going to be the credit card company. So, please clarify, this is it- 2.19 %?
2.19 for everything. Except American Express. Rewards cards, debit cards, government and business too. All of them.

2.19 for everything. Except American Express. Rewards cards, debit cards, government and business too. All of them.
Almost to good to be true. I am definitely looking into that. No more machine, no more paper in the machine, blahhhhh. Sounds good to me.

Back