Credit Card processing end of year comparison

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
We began using Square halfway through the year, July through Dec 31st. So I cannot give 100% accurate savings by switching from the clunky overpriced charge for everything BB&T Merchant services to Square. But I can say immediately looking at my handy-dandy do anything you want it to do report ONLINE in Square that we have saved a few hundred dollars so far, at least.
Convenience and ease of use is 100% better for us, and the guests. We can now take ALL credit cards, even Discover, for the same rate. I get paid within 48 hours, I can use it anywhere, and it has some great features.
I don't do a lot of keying in, which is a higher rate. That is just the way we roll here. https://squareup.com
Plus $60 saved from annual PCI compliance, I don't have to do that scan and report every year now! woo hoo

(PS I am working on taxes so if I come up with these bits and pieces you will know why). We dropped the big beautiful distilled bottled water and saved $175 last year, but everything else sneaked up higher, so we were higher in overall utilities than before. We will look at our Cable and Phone see if there is anything we can consolidate.

I will save in dollars and aggravation in the long run. My expenses went up because I had to buy an iPhone and now pay for my own mobile phone charges. Up to August 2012, my son had paid to have Mommy on his cell service (since 2001 - and would have continued to pay the extra for the iPhone but Mommy said it was time to cut the cord.
I also now take ALL cards and enjoy not having to waste time with PCI BS. I even have some space on my desk now that the clunky piece of garbage is off my desk. I found a new home for it.

I wish I could switch over to Square, but we run deposits which have to be keyed in! :( Otherwise I'd switch in a heartbeat..
Maybe they'll change their keying fees at some point down the road. I'm hoping anyway.

I wish I could switch over to Square, but we run deposits which have to be keyed in! :( Otherwise I'd switch in a heartbeat..
Maybe they'll change their keying fees at some point down the road. I'm hoping anyway..
No reason you have to stick to just one service; for example you could have your guests pay the deposits through paypal, and then swipe their card with the square on arrival for the balance.
Even with square's higher rate for keyed entries, it is possible you would still come out ahead if you are paying any kind of monthly fees for your other service -- you just got to look at the numbers.

Back