credit card processing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
help.gif
OK... I'm in the process of switching from Paypal to someone else and I need to know... do you have a place 'right on your website' for guests to pay for their rooms their selves, or do you take their card # and process it yourself?
When you use the reservation system, does it take their credit card number for their deposit? (I assume it does) and then do you process it when they check in??
HELP.....
Thanks

When you use the reservation system, does it take their credit card number for their deposit? (I assume it does) and then do you process it when they check in??
It depends. Some systems have integrated payment processing and it does process a deposit immediately. Others just capture the information for you securely and allow you to enter it into your own processing method when you are ready.
I use RezovationGT with the booking engine and it uses Intuit as the processor. It saves me a lot of time by having it do all the processing for me. I used to have SuperInn capture the info, but then I had to process it by hand, which was a lot of little steps that added up. I only have 3 rooms so it is not a huge deal, but my time is important to me. If I had more rooms, I would definitely want the processing handled automatically. It can save many hours a week.

In addition to what Swirt already said, cost does become a factor. While you are checking the different online booking systems, check to see which ones have processing and the costs associated with that end. Meanwhile, check into several processing companies and get their itemized cost list.
A few notes of caution:
  • the information you receive (from the processing cos) will not be in the same format making comparing them a little nerve racking to say the least.
  • beware sometimes it is not easy to change once you get started!
  • Do not get bogged down in any lengthy contract
Only you can determine which method would suit your needs, do not jump into it - do your research!

If you go with a separate processor, I have a credit card machine for sale. Contact me by my email here on the forum if you're interested.

Joey,
You use reservation key? do you know if they process cards? their prices seem really reasonable (too good to process cards).

Sunshine, email John at RezKey if you want to do the free trial he can explain the paypal thing they already have there, you might be able to tap into that UNTIL you decide if a change is in order. Tell him you were referred by me, I am still very pleased with this system. http://www.reservationkey.com/
I don't use it for payments, but they do have it set up for that as well. I currently have the terminal to swipe the card.

Sunshine, email John at RezKey if you want to do the free trial he can explain the paypal thing they already have there, you might be able to tap into that UNTIL you decide if a change is in order. Tell him you were referred by me, I am still very pleased with this system. http://www.reservationkey.com/
I don't use it for payments, but they do have it set up for that as well. I currently have the terminal to swipe the card..
Joey Bloggs said:
I don't use it for payments, but they do have it set up for that as well. I currently have the terminal to swipe the card.
Thanks Joey!

Back