Crowders, grabbers, hoarders

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Started the day off with guests who crowd, get in my space, won't move out of the way for other guests. Then the grabbers came and took away the whole (fill in the blank) and went to their table. Then, when they got their breakfast I went to take away what they were hoarding for other guests to use and they said, 'Oh, we're not done with that yet.'
I'm hiding out in the kitchen now.

Wow... you get quite a few "special" people. I would be using the word "pardon, can you..." and "excuse me, can I help?" to clear the way. As for the grabbers, we avoid that by having more than one plate and actually using light humour. Today we had to gently remind someone that others were coming.
Are you serving buffet style?

There is no door on your kitchen! How can you hide out?
I am waiting for a stove delivery - between 9:15 and 11:15 they say.
Hope your hoarders, grabbers, and space invaders leaver today and are replaced by totally lovely people who are undemanding, cooperative, and appreciative. AND leave nice tips.

hmmm ... so curious to know what they took ....
It's less what they took than they took it. I used the 'fill in the blank' because everyone has a story of guests walking off with all of something thinking it is just for them.
And what really struck me was when I tried to reclaim it they said, 'If anyone wants it they can ask for it.' Yeesh. Oddly, tho, I then heard one of them asking if another guest needed help carrying a suitcase. So maybe it was just me.

Wow... you get quite a few "special" people. I would be using the word "pardon, can you..." and "excuse me, can I help?" to clear the way. As for the grabbers, we avoid that by having more than one plate and actually using light humour. Today we had to gently remind someone that others were coming.
Are you serving buffet style?.
No, we don't do a buffet. Given what I've seen around here (no sugar left today, where the hek did it all go???) I don't think I would survive doing a buffet!

No, we don't do a buffet. Given what I've seen around here (no sugar left today, where the hek did it all go???) I don't think I would survive doing a buffet!
At least they are enjoying themselves and not turning up their noses at the breakfast! And your portion control is at least somewhat successful in curbing them. But, it is a pain whenever guests act way out of the norm on anything, whether it is taking food, dirtying laundry or moving into your personal space. Well, let me take that back. I love our guests who have OCD about clean and neat....makes my job so much easier!
wink_smile.gif

Thank g-d for that! Well, these might be the type of guests where you need to plate everything seperately. We sometimes have to do that. Today we had to remind a guest that the pastry plate, was for all to share. (And I fully understand the draw... but everyone should get at least one if they want it, before they empty the plate.)

We weirdly have lost a sugar bowl don't have a clue how - we ended up with 2 very confused french chaps! they are very cheap and I have lots of spares - just weird.

Got a call from a fellow innkeeper for a "consult" this morning.....she needed a shoulder to cry on and some suggestions. Seems that a fellow called in Feb to book her entire 5 rooms for 2 nights this weekend. They have been going back and forth for months over who was going in which rooms. Like us, she is has an antique home and does not accept children. No mention of children in the ensuing room discussions. But, (and you already can guess what's next can't you?), the gang shows up with two little ones in tow.
His comment, "Well if we rented the whole place we should be able to bring our kids" She has never had 4 people in one room and is livid!
Grabbers for sure.

Got a call from a fellow innkeeper for a "consult" this morning.....she needed a shoulder to cry on and some suggestions. Seems that a fellow called in Feb to book her entire 5 rooms for 2 nights this weekend. They have been going back and forth for months over who was going in which rooms. Like us, she is has an antique home and does not accept children. No mention of children in the ensuing room discussions. But, (and you already can guess what's next can't you?), the gang shows up with two little ones in tow.
His comment, "Well if we rented the whole place we should be able to bring our kids" She has never had 4 people in one room and is livid!
Grabbers for sure..
whattha.gif

Nothing beats the mob, that is what they are in the pack mentality. It will only get worse from there...

Grabbers for sure..
The least there should be is an upcharge for the extra people they brought. Same as if they showed up with 2 extra adults.
All of these things are learning experiences for us. NAIL THE GUESTS DOWN on EXACTLY how many people are coming, no more allowed in the door than the original number, and the number of children included in that number.
They did not, as they assume, RENT A HOUSE. They rented x number of rooms at an inn.
Here's my guess...everything will work out fine. And next time someone calls to rent every room she will be ready for them!

Grabbers for sure..
The least there should be is an upcharge for the extra people they brought. Same as if they showed up with 2 extra adults.
All of these things are learning experiences for us. NAIL THE GUESTS DOWN on EXACTLY how many people are coming, no more allowed in the door than the original number, and the number of children included in that number.
They did not, as they assume, RENT A HOUSE. They rented x number of rooms at an inn.
Here's my guess...everything will work out fine. And next time someone calls to rent every room she will be ready for them!
I think you are correct...she just feels like she has been "played" and I can't blame her. Of course the gang stayed and she made do. She will definitely charge for 2 extra heads and, out of concern for her breakables, take a cc imprint as security deposit for any damage. She is not set up for kids....no place to play, little trinkets here and there, a garden full of flowers just waiting to be trampled. Thank goodness they are just staying 2 nights.
Even when we make it perfectly clear that the reservation is for 2 adults only, the grabbers will see an opening and WHAMO....there is a 3rd person in the cottage. It has happened to us. We learned our lesson. No more brides, period.

Grabbers for sure..
I think you are correct...she just feels like she has been "played" and I can't blame her. Of course the gang stayed and she made do. She will definitely charge for 2 extra heads and, out of concern for her breakables, take a cc imprint as security deposit for any damage. She is not set up for kids....no place to play, little trinkets here and there, a garden full of flowers just waiting to be trampled. Thank goodness they are just staying 2 nights.
Even when we make it perfectly clear that the reservation is for 2 adults only, the grabbers will see an opening and WHAMO....there is a 3rd person in the cottage. It has happened to us. We learned our lesson. No more brides, period.
We experience the 'surprise' extra guest with our room with a private entrance. We see them leave. They never show their faces in the inn. It's a pain.

Grabbers for sure..
We experience the 'surprise' extra guest with our room with a private entrance. We see them leave. They never show their faces in the inn. It's a pain.
Madeleine said:
After that ordeal with BD and the "Stepfather" I told Dh that it needs to be a law or something that we see the other person when someone checks into a room (with outside entrance). I really got upset as there were at least two times I never saw the people, AT ALL! They arrived late, and skipped breakfast, and left. I don't like it!

Grabbers for sure..
If they rented all my rooms, I would not be upset about the additional kids. Take away the breakables, charge them extra for the kids.
Now, if they have rented just 1 room and there's no kids allowed, then like the couple I had a two weeks ago, they called from the car on their way in, I heard kids in the background, I told them their reservation was for 2 adults and they clicked that they read and agreed, so NO they could not stay here and they had to pay for their room for both nights of the reservation. Their online reservation said 2 adults and 0 kids.
Too bad, so sad.....READ THE RULES AND THE RESERVATION FORM!!

Grabbers for sure..
If they rented all my rooms, I would not be upset about the additional kids. Take away the breakables, charge them extra for the kids.
Now, if they have rented just 1 room and there's no kids allowed, then like the couple I had a two weeks ago, they called from the car on their way in, I heard kids in the background, I told them their reservation was for 2 adults and they clicked that they read and agreed, so NO they could not stay here and they had to pay for their room for both nights of the reservation. Their online reservation said 2 adults and 0 kids.
Too bad, so sad.....READ THE RULES AND THE RESERVATION FORM!!
I'm sure that is exactly what they ended up doing. But, the innkeeper still felt like she had been "taken". In their location it's a stretch for them to take as many people as they do, with water and septic issues, as well as maximum occupancy limits. Can't blame her for being upset. Her website clearly states that kids are not allowed.

Grabbers for sure..
Madeleine said:
After that ordeal with BD and the "Stepfather" I told Dh that it needs to be a law or something that we see the other person when someone checks into a room (with outside entrance). I really got upset as there were at least two times I never saw the people, AT ALL! They arrived late, and skipped breakfast, and left. I don't like it!
I see the point on one side, but I also know that some LGBT couples may be particulary shy and have one partner hide, unsure of your or other innkeeper reactions.

Grabbers for sure..
Madeleine said:
I see the point on one side, but I also know that some LGBT couples may be particulary shy and have one partner hide, unsure of your or other innkeeper reactions.
I don't know that abreviation but we get that sometimes with gay couples (im guessing thats what you mean) for myself don't give a monkeys, but you get the other half is in the car, town, shopping whatever and im checking in, - usually they come down for breakfast sometimes not.
Its just sad in my opinion that they feel its necessary to hide and makes me wonder how they have been treated in other places that they feel its necessary.

Back