Crumby Tripadvisor Review and they have yet to stay with us.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd, with reviews like this, whether this latest one is still there or not, I don't think you have a lot to worry about. Kudos. Great job! Great inn, great innkeeper!
quilts.png

It does appear to be back, but still a violation of ToS. He never stayed, he can't rate value. And he says he stayed, which he indicates he didn't.

Looks like it is gone. Thanks Eric for the help on that.
The other two terrible reviews are similar. They couldn't book their Crow dcut deal when they wanted.

Looks like it is gone. Thanks Eric for the help on that.
The other two terrible reviews are similar. They couldn't book their Crow dcut deal when they wanted..
toddburme said:
The other two terrible reviews are similar. They couldn't book their Crow dcut deal when they wanted.
My daughter just got a deal email and sent it to me asking why don't we do that, too? The place she got it for is 3x the size of ours and is now in direct competition with a brand new hotel right across the street. One of the reasons I gave her was exactly what happened to you- if someone can't get the exact date they expressly bought the deal for, they're mad.

This is where being the "silent partner" is the pits. My partner sent a registered letter threatening legal action based on misinformation in the review. Ok yes this is one way to handle it but what are the chances this goes away with one letter? This guy could be off his meds and have lots of free time. He also still has a reservation.
Escalation is never a good idea in my opinion. Diffuse the situation and come to a solution was my idea. So now I am being included in the deal so I get to make the call to the client after he has been poked. Happy New Years hahaha

This is where being the "silent partner" is the pits. My partner sent a registered letter threatening legal action based on misinformation in the review. Ok yes this is one way to handle it but what are the chances this goes away with one letter? This guy could be off his meds and have lots of free time. He also still has a reservation.
Escalation is never a good idea in my opinion. Diffuse the situation and come to a solution was my idea. So now I am being included in the deal so I get to make the call to the client after he has been poked. Happy New Years hahaha.
So sorry to hear it's now in the legal system. That wasn't necessary, as you noted.

Escalation is never a good idea in my opinion. Diffuse the situation and come to a solution was my idea. So now I am being included in the deal so I get to make the call to the client after he has been poked. Happy New Years hahaha.
I strongly suggest that you head off the email at the pass with a phone call and a set of explanations and an offer instead. This will only exacerbate things, to no end.

Wrong move. Picking up the phone and talking to them would have been a better approach. I sure wouldn't want them coming to stay with me now. You will have to be utter perfection and even then they may not give you a good review. I would cancel their reservation. Of course after getting the letter, they may just cancel themselves
cry_smile.gif

Oh Todd, that is worse than the review itself. I would be freaking out over it too.

My first reaction was to offer a refund as we obviously will not satisfy their needs. But I would love to meet or beat their expectations and get them to revise their opinion of us. Wishful thinking maybe. A no win situation... Boy are we glad to have them coming!.
I'm with Madeleine on this one. I would have a very hard time keeping my attitude in check when they arrived. I'd rather tell him he's not welcome to stay there (in whatever diplomatic, nice way you can muster) and respond to the review as others have suggested. Don't let this idiot step foot in your Inn. He's going to be trouble and he's already cut his own throat by causing such a stir before he even arrived. I'm pissed off about it & it's not even my Inn!!!
teeth_smile.gif

Oh, noooooo........so sorry

toddburme said:
Escalation is never a good idea in my opinion. Diffuse the situation and come to a solution was my idea. So now I am being included in the deal so I get to make the call to the client after he has been poked. Happy New Years hahaha
Have you considered :cooling off" a hot head with a bucket of ice water - or considering your location chucking the hot head into a snow pile long enough for YOU to cool off?

toddburme said:
Silent partner or not you should have a say on threatening letters, things like that can not be taken back and can be used against you. TA reviews on the other hand can be changed, removed. A phone call would have served this better than a letter!
Call him before he gets the letter, tell him about the letter from the other partner in the business and you feel it best to just cancel the reservation and be done with it.

My friend had a similar situation with her bb - guest booked a room with a 2 night minimum then a week before and within the cancellation policy period then reduced to 2 nights - friend gave option to cancel whole stay or pay for the extra night - guest agreed to pay extra night. - then on boo kin in g .c nom put on a review saying my friend had charged her card without permission and done credit card fraud and what should she do about it? -(the what should she do was a direct quote!) said I would ring and say that if she didn't remove the review as it was liable then she would take further steps - and see what happened.
In todds case tripadviser in a surprising show of reality have already taken it down - so what case is there to be made?

Back