CSI hotel room: Best Western goes high-tech to clean

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only way something like that is bringing them more guests or longer stays is because they are saying they are doing it. How long before the housekeeper just pretends to do it because it is invisible anyway and there are 12 more rooms to clean? Unless the GUEST is traveling with the equipment no one will ever know.

I think this is a pretty good point:
"...the black lights have changed the way housekeepers clean, because they highlight bacteria in places that may not otherwise be cleaned, says owner Rich Schnakenberg. The corner of a bathroom vanity, for instance, may now get extra attention."

We have been doing this for a year now. Mainly our beds. Bought mine wand in costco. It came with a smaller one.

We have been doing this for a year now. Mainly our beds. Bought mine wand in costco. It came with a smaller one..
Flower said:
We have been doing this for a year now. Mainly our beds. Bought mine wand in costco. It came with a smaller one.
Are the unseen germs as bad as one might think?

We have been doing this for a year now. Mainly our beds. Bought mine wand in costco. It came with a smaller one..
Flower said:
Do TELL! We would love to hear the results.
Is it true remote controls and light switches have the most bacteria?

Flower said:
Do TELL! We would love to hear the results.
Is it true remote controls and light switches have the most bacteria?
That is what they say. But I do not take chances. Especailly with my beds and pillows. I feel a little of caution goes a long way. But any black light will show you what you miss for sure. Especailly, like after you clean your rugs shine a black light on it .It will show you what has been missed .
But this is a blue light on the scanner(ultra violet ray) You pass it over the mattress in sections. Till you have compeleted the whole area of the mattress. Then I pass the vacumm over the mattress to get all the dead skin and particles out.I have a very strong vaccum and you would be surprised at how much comes out. I do the bed railings I also do the radios and clocks beside the beds with the wand. They say that is where bed bugs love to go. I guess it maybe because of the heat the radios holds? But I love my wand . It doesnot hurt to use the wand on most things.

I know that the UV light will disinfect a surface, but does biological matter actually luminesce under the light?
Most of the time sheets appear "clean" when removed, but we occasionally come across the "I-don't-want-to-know-what-this-is" substance. What we have a problem with, mostly, are greasy stains and acne medicine that bleaches out our colored pillow cases.

I know that the UV light will disinfect a surface, but does biological matter actually luminesce under the light?
Most of the time sheets appear "clean" when removed, but we occasionally come across the "I-don't-want-to-know-what-this-is" substance. What we have a problem with, mostly, are greasy stains and acne medicine that bleaches out our colored pillow cases..
NO but under black light it sure will so will oil marks from make up. For those darn bleach acne creams I cringe!!! grrrrr under my breath I say more!!!! I supply black or dark face cloth for the women and say this is for removing your creams and make up. WE also have make up removal pads for your use.

Most of the time sheets appear "clean" when removed, but we occasionally come across the "I-don't-want-to-know-what-this-is" substance. What we have a problem with, mostly, are greasy stains and acne medicine that bleaches out our colored pillow cases..
NO but under black light it sure will so will oil marks from make up. For those darn bleach acne creams I cringe!!! grrrrr under my breath I say more!!!! I supply black or dark face cloth for the women and say this is for removing your creams and make up. WE also have make up removal pads for your use.
Flower said:
NO but under black light it sure will so will oil marks from make up.
A black light is a UV light. i.e., Ultra Violet

Flower said:
Proud Texan said:
Flower said:
Yes, but the intensity of the light, the length of time of exposure, and probably what particular frequency within the UV spectrum, all play a role. I don't think a quick pass with the typical "black light" will be all that effective in disinfecting a surface.
On the other hand, our local sewage treatment plant uses UV lights (not black lights) to disinfect the treated waste water before discharging it to the river, rather than using chlorine or ozone. Also, backpackers can get a battery-powered UV light (the SteriPen) to disinfect drinking water the pick up from streams or lakes, rather than having to pump the water through a micro-filter or dope it with iodine tablets (no idea how effective this device is).

Flower said:
Proud Texan said:
Flower said:
Yes, but the intensity of the light, the length of time of exposure, and probably what particular frequency within the UV spectrum, all play a role. I don't think a quick pass with the typical "black light" will be all that effective in disinfecting a surface.
On the other hand, our local sewage treatment plant uses UV lights (not black lights) to disinfect the treated waste water before discharging it to the river, rather than using chlorine or ozone. Also, backpackers can get a battery-powered UV light (the SteriPen) to disinfect drinking water the pick up from streams or lakes, rather than having to pump the water through a micro-filter or dope it with iodine tablets (no idea how effective this device is).
Harborfields said:
Proud Texan said:
Flower said:
My comment was merely to clarify that a blacklight was a form of Ultra Violet light and not meant to be a wikipedia article extrapolating all the varied forms of UV within the electromagnetic spectrum. I honestly don't care that much.

My LED blacklight flashlights arrived today. They do work, at least I can see some stuff with them that I can't easily see under regular lighting, and I think they will be of value in cleaning bathrooms. You have to be able to get the room dark to use them, so they may not be that useful in a bedroom that doesn't have black out curtains.
They make white towels and clothing and my teeth glow bright blue like any blacklight. I found some of what must be toothpaste spatter around the bathroom lavatory, stuff that disappeared when I scratched it with my fingernail. So it's showing something, and that something disappears when I clean better, so I see some value here for the $15.75 cost of the things (with free shipping with Amazon Prime).

Back