CSS from the beginning

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penelope

Reaction score
From the top:
What is the first step (after opening a new notepad page) in starting CSS. I've never done it before and I don't know how to start. I can get the html into the notepad, but I don't know what to do with it now!

Hi Penelope:
CSS or, Cascading style sheets can be used in two different ways....external, or internal. External...meaning you reference an external file that your webserver loads when it opens this page for anyone...or internal...where it references code inside the same website.
Confusing....hold on..
So if you just want to inject CSS code internallly, you could use this tag
<style type="text/css">
</style>
Within the style tag, you would reference CSS code...
The point of CSS code, is to tell the webbrowser how to handle particular tags...so for instance...if you wanted everything between an <h1> tag to have blue text you would put the following between that style
h1{ color: blue; }
Now all your H1 tags will be blue...
And that's a small sample of how CSS works.
Good luck!

It's wonderful you are starting out 'right'. I'm still trying to make it work the same on every page!
You can take a simple CSS class on About.com. They email the 'class' to you one day at a time. Here's the link to sign up.

Take a class..
See, that's the wonderful thing about this forum: the people here are very helpful and they share information. I wanted to take a class, but there are none offered near me.
Besides, why wouldn't I ask my online friends who have been willing to help out in the past for help with this? It's a give and take and share and listen and help and be there for each other kind of forum. I would rather learn from the best (on the forum) instead of the rest.

Take a class..
See, that's the wonderful thing about this forum: the people here are very helpful and they share information. I wanted to take a class, but there are none offered near me.
Besides, why wouldn't I ask my online friends who have been willing to help out in the past for help with this? It's a give and take and share and listen and help and be there for each other kind of forum. I would rather learn from the best (on the forum) instead of the rest.
penelope said:
Because if you are asking it how to even begin, you need a class, this is not a place to learn software. Asking for help on an issue on the forum is another story.

You can do it in notepad, but part will be easier if you use an editor that will at least structure the css for you in terms of how it appears.
I strongly suggest the linking to an external stylesheet rather than just putting it on every page. Putting it on every page offers no real advantage.
A good online tutorial like the ones mentioned already really are the best place to start.

Back