Cultural Differences and how to approach them.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wren

Reaction score
Hi all! I have been away from the forum for a bit, but I am happy to be back. I hope you are all having a good year.
My question is dealing with cultural differences at your establishment.
We have a couple here from Argentina (I think, but am not positive). They are both tall, dark and gorgeous and probably in their late 20's. She is noticibly pregnant.
As I am writing this, they are sitting out on the deck overlooking the lake and sharing a bottle of wine from one of their families vineyards.
Other guests are looking at them with expressions ranging from disappointment to horrified. Although it is not culturally acceptable here, it obviously is where they are from. Would you do anything or just let it run its course?

Thanks for any advice.

Not your place to say anything, you're not her mother and check out this article
"a great deal of recent research and a re-examination of the alcohol-pregnancy issue show that there is no conclusive evidence to demonstrate that moderate drinking during pregnancy can harm the fetus and there is even new research that shows that moderate drinking during pregnancy may actually help the development of the child after birth."

I must be missing something here. They are sitting on the deck, looking at the lake, and sharing a bottle of wine. What is wrong with that? Other than at a Women's Christian Temperance Union or AA meeting I cannot see why anyone would be even disappointed much less horrified - and I do not drink more than a glass of wine perhaps rwice a year if I am at a Conference or someplace with "open" bar.
Is this in an area when "spirits" are not normal? Not in the USA?

Leave it alone. If guests say anything to them, remind those guests it's none of their beeswax.

I must be missing something here. They are sitting on the deck, looking at the lake, and sharing a bottle of wine. What is wrong with that? Other than at a Women's Christian Temperance Union or AA meeting I cannot see why anyone would be even disappointed much less horrified - and I do not drink more than a glass of wine perhaps rwice a year if I am at a Conference or someplace with "open" bar.
Is this in an area when "spirits" are not normal? Not in the USA?.
gillumhouse said:
She is pregnant.

In france they actually medically advise it is fine to drink up to 2 glasses a day but that is cultural in the UK one or two glasses is seen as normal also to speak to someone about it would be considered the height of rudeness.

Interesting post and welcome home!
Nothing to be said or done about that situation there. Maybe she will go and terminate the baby next week and that will be acceptable culturally here.
Oops crossed the line didn't I.
Someone Flag me as offensive...quick.

In france they actually medically advise it is fine to drink up to 2 glasses a day but that is cultural in the UK one or two glasses is seen as normal also to speak to someone about it would be considered the height of rudeness..
In france they actually medically advise it is fine to drink up to 2 glasses a day but that is cultural in the UK one or two glasses is seen as normal also to speak to someone about it would be considered the height of rudeness.
It would be considered quite rude to say something in the states, too.

Is this in an area when "spirits" are not normal? Not in the USA?.
gillumhouse said:
She is pregnant.
Big deal! Europe is full of pregnant women who drink beer or wine at every meal. It is nobody's business. They are not falling down drunk - they are enjoying a bottle of wine.
ll those studies - right! Eating eggs was bad for you. Now it isn't. This food is bad this year, just about kills the growers/suppliers and then a few years later a new study comes out that oh, it is good for you.
You need to be a Sgt. Schultz - I see nothing!

That's not very nice manners on the part of the other guests. If she drinks to excess, that's not cool ... but just sitting quietly having a glass of wine?
I had my children a generation ago and it was acceptable, dare I say, encouraged? to have a glass of wine once in a while ... pregnant and also while nursing.

I agree. All things in moderation. When I was a kid growing up, everyone drank and smoked when pregnant.

I would agree with everyone else. They are adults and not bothering anyone.
I have seen much worse and I just turn and look the other way.

I am actually from South America (Paraguay) which is right above Argentina and actually have family living there and its cultural Wine is normal and I don't think cause your pregnant you cant have a couple or a glass of wine. I don't think its anyone's business to start judging what someone else is doing.
Wine is a daily happening in the South American culture...its done either during dinner or before.

Not your place to say anything, you're not her mother and check out this article
"a great deal of recent research and a re-examination of the alcohol-pregnancy issue show that there is no conclusive evidence to demonstrate that moderate drinking during pregnancy can harm the fetus and there is even new research that shows that moderate drinking during pregnancy may actually help the development of the child after birth." .
Leave them alone. Why do we in the US always think we know more than anyone else?????? why do we always think we are more correct than anyone else???
Those making faces are the same parents that come here and go out wine tasting, drinking away, and driving with their infants and toddlers in tow.
Riki

"a great deal of recent research and a re-examination of the alcohol-pregnancy issue show that there is no conclusive evidence to demonstrate that moderate drinking during pregnancy can harm the fetus and there is even new research that shows that moderate drinking during pregnancy may actually help the development of the child after birth." .
Leave them alone. Why do we in the US always think we know more than anyone else?????? why do we always think we are more correct than anyone else???
Those making faces are the same parents that come here and go out wine tasting, drinking away, and driving with their infants and toddlers in tow.
Riki
But they are NOT preggers! (tongue-in-cheek)

I am actually from South America (Paraguay) which is right above Argentina and actually have family living there and its cultural Wine is normal and I don't think cause your pregnant you cant have a couple or a glass of wine. I don't think its anyone's business to start judging what someone else is doing.
Wine is a daily happening in the South American culture...its done either during dinner or before..
birdwatcher said:
Wine is a daily happening in the South American culture...its done either during dinner or before.
Pretty much what I was going to say. Living in the "Capital of South America", as Miami has been dubbed, there are a lot of South Americans here. Wine is consumed there like Southerners drink sweet tea with each meal.

Wine is a daily happening in the South American culture...its done either during dinner or before..
birdwatcher said:
Pretty much what I was going to say. Living in the "Capital of South America", as Miami has been dubbed, there are a lot of South Americans here. Wine is consumed there like Southerners drink sweet tea with each meal.
Gotta love it! LOL! My birthplace is Miami.......
My son just got engaged there while at a conference with his girlfriend.....in a Cuban restaurant. Life is strange.....

birdwatcher said:
Gotta love it! LOL! My birthplace is Miami.......
My son just got engaged there while at a conference with his girlfriend.....in a Cuban restaurant. Life is strange.....
Oh wow...yeah for him!!!! When is the wedding???

Back