Cup and Pillow--The Bed & Breakfast List.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambled_eggs

Reaction score
Did anyone else get an email about this new site? At first they said you could have a free listing but everyone had to enter their credit card number in. Now today I get an email that they had so many complaints they have waived the credit card number. I tried to make a log in with them but I can't log in and it give me an error. Just wondering if this is another scam. I've never had a referal from any of these kinds of sites so I think it might just be a waste of time. http://www.thebedandbreakfastlist.com/prod/

Yup, got that today. Have gotten emailings as well. Never did anything with it.

Why would you sign up with them??? Who are they??? If it is free ok..but if you have to pay...they can just go away.

Amusing that their site contains this in the Terms and Conditions, as this is the only way they could have gotten the info posted in the first place:
13. LINKING, FRAMING, MIRRORING, SCRAPING, DATA-MINING OR POSTINGS
Links to the Web Sites without the express written permission of IWE are strictly prohibited. To request permission to link to the Web Sites, please contact [email protected]. Links to Other Sites from TheBedandBreakfastList.com, TheBandBList.com, TheInnList.com, TheResortList.com, TheGolfResortList.com, and TheVacationRentalList.com are made for the convenience of the reader only and may not be made by any user except for those granted an administrative password. The framing, mirroring, scraping or data-mining of the Web Sites or any of their content in any form and by any method are strictly prohibited.

Got it in the MAIL as well. The CUP part caught my attention as I thought it sounded odd. Sounds like little Oliie begging in the streets of London or something. "Might I have some more please"

Links to the Web Sites without the express written permission of IWE are strictly prohibited.
Somebody doesn't seem to understand the SEO benefit of incoming links LOL

Got from the bedandbreakfastlist and deleted every time. Never heard of the other.

Today in the mail I just got a card from Cup and Pillow telling me I should update my profile on there to make sure it is correct. This is a first that a company like this has ever sent anything in the regular mail.

Hi Everyone,
I saw your postings here and thought I'd get in and clear things up for you. Cup & Pillow is my company. I have a partner named Robert Seiling. We are not running a scam, we are doing business the way it should be done. The reason why we required credit card verification was because we want to keep your temporary listings as locked down as possible until such time as you register and update your listing. This prevents the kind of abuse we fear could happen otherwise (kids logging on and claiming to be the property owner when they are not, posting unwanted edits, etc.). Most people were just fine with the credit card process, but a few people were suspicious so we changed our verification process. We now simply log email and IP addresses and monitor content.
What's the free listing and why are we doing it? We offer two levels of membership, one which is free of charge and which we call a Courtesy Membership, the other is a Preferred Membership and it allows you to post your website address, a link to your email (using a form submission to protect you from spam crawlers), and the ability to take real-time bookings (or not) and use our Bid-A-Bed feature which allows you to set a reserve price and acquire last-minute reservations. You can read about all of our features on the site. The reason why we offer a free listing is because with a large number of members, whether they ultimately upgrade or not, everyone benefits. You don't need me to tell you about B&B occupancy rates. The only way you can compete with the big players in the hospitality industry is by establishing your corner of the internet where finding a B&B is just as easy as finding a hotel, so absolute numbers mean a lot. Though some folks here sound skeptical because we are new, we are adding members quickly.

Cheers,
Read Spear Founding Partner
CupandPillow.com

I got this in the mail and I just updated/uploaded my info...I'll let you all know when the Nigerian Prince arrives.
Actually, I hope it is legit, it looks like a nice site...and was user friendly.

I got this in the mail and I just updated/uploaded my info...I'll let you all know when the Nigerian Prince arrives.
Actually, I hope it is legit, it looks like a nice site...and was user friendly..
Willowpondgj,
Thank you for your compliment. Our initial launch has gone well. We are working hard to fix a few bugs that popped up during our beta phase. Everyone's comments are welcome and appreciated and don't be shy about criticism; we want to get this right for you.
Read

Hi Everyone,
I saw your postings here and thought I'd get in and clear things up for you. Cup & Pillow is my company. I have a partner named Robert Seiling. We are not running a scam, we are doing business the way it should be done. The reason why we required credit card verification was because we want to keep your temporary listings as locked down as possible until such time as you register and update your listing. This prevents the kind of abuse we fear could happen otherwise (kids logging on and claiming to be the property owner when they are not, posting unwanted edits, etc.). Most people were just fine with the credit card process, but a few people were suspicious so we changed our verification process. We now simply log email and IP addresses and monitor content.
What's the free listing and why are we doing it? We offer two levels of membership, one which is free of charge and which we call a Courtesy Membership, the other is a Preferred Membership and it allows you to post your website address, a link to your email (using a form submission to protect you from spam crawlers), and the ability to take real-time bookings (or not) and use our Bid-A-Bed feature which allows you to set a reserve price and acquire last-minute reservations. You can read about all of our features on the site. The reason why we offer a free listing is because with a large number of members, whether they ultimately upgrade or not, everyone benefits. You don't need me to tell you about B&B occupancy rates. The only way you can compete with the big players in the hospitality industry is by establishing your corner of the internet where finding a B&B is just as easy as finding a hotel, so absolute numbers mean a lot. Though some folks here sound skeptical because we are new, we are adding members quickly.

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
My inn was listed a couple of days ago and now it's gone. I got the postcard so it must have been listed for the postcard to be sent. Any ideas what might have happened?

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
My inn was listed a couple of days ago and now it's gone. I got the postcard so it must have been listed for the postcard to be sent. Any ideas what might have happened?
Hi Bree,
I think I know what happened (this is usually an entry error with the state abbreviation, so the listing may have "moved" to the wrong state), but to be sure I will need a little more information: what is the name of your inn? If you don't want to post this information you may contact me directly at [email protected]. Thanks!
Read

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
Hi Bree,
I think I know what happened (this is usually an entry error with the state abbreviation, so the listing may have "moved" to the wrong state), but to be sure I will need a little more information: what is the name of your inn? If you don't want to post this information you may contact me directly at [email protected]. Thanks!
Read
Here's what I tried...search by town. I'm not in the list. Search by inn and voila! there I am. Right town, right state. BUT, there are 2 completely different lists/pages displayed depending on search function.
If I enter the state/town info in the search box on the home page (the one with the date selection feature) I get this pretty ugly list of B&B's with distance from what I am assuming is the 'Google center of town'. It lists places up to 30 miles away.
If I search on the name of the inn instead I get my listing. If I click on the town name above (where it shows state > town) then I only see the B&B's located in my town and the Google map. Much nicer display, btw.
I'm going to edit my listing and see if I can find myself doing a town search. If not, I'll let you know.

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
Hi Bree,
Read
readspear said:
Hi Bree,
Read
Hi Read!
OK, just tried to create an account 3 separate times and got 3 separate 'Security Code Incorrect' messages. Any ides on that?

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
Hi Bree,
Read
readspear said:
Hi Bree,
Read
Hi Read!
OK, just tried to create an account 3 separate times and got 3 separate 'Security Code Incorrect' messages. Any ides on that?
Bree,
A couple of things are happening: 1) you already have an account. Your listing is here: http://www.thebedandbreakfastlist.com/prod/detail/inn/innId/9665
2) You can see that the city has been accidentally omitted from your listing. You should enter that and that should add Port Clyde to the searchable cities in ME.
3) The "Security Code Incorrect" message means that the CAPTCHA code was entered incorrectly--that's the code in the box. It is not case sensitive, but it can sometimes be difficult to tell the i's, L's and 1's apart. *But you already have an account, so no need to create another.*
Finally, we have discovered a bug in Google's mapping, which is where we get the maps, and we have our tech department working on it. My head tech is on vacation through this week, though (he deserves it after a solid year of development!) and I will see that this remains on his list of priorities as soon as he returns to work Monday.
THANK YOU for these comments; it is exactly what we need to hear while we are in beta.
If you would like, I will put you in touch with my tech department directly.
Sincerely,
Read

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
Hi Bree,
Read
readspear said:
Hi Bree,
Read
Hi Read!
Bree,
A couple of things are happening: 1) you already have an account. Your listing is here: http://www.thebedandbreakfastlist.com/prod/detail/inn/innId/9665
2) You can see that the city has been accidentally omitted from your listing. You should enter that and that should add Port Clyde to the searchable cities in ME.
3) The "Security Code Incorrect" message means that the CAPTCHA code was entered incorrectly--that's the code in the box. It is not case sensitive, but it can sometimes be difficult to tell the i's, L's and 1's apart. *But you already have an account, so no need to create another.*
Finally, we have discovered a bug in Google's mapping, which is where we get the maps, and we have our tech department working on it. My head tech is on vacation through this week, though (he deserves it after a solid year of development!) and I will see that this remains on his list of priorities as soon as he returns to work Monday.
THANK YOU for these comments; it is exactly what we need to hear while we are in beta.
Sincerely,
Read
That's not me...close (sort of) but no cigar. I know about the Captcha thing and I DID try it 3 times...

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
Hi Bree,
Read
readspear said:
Hi Bree,
Read
Hi Read!
Bree,
Sincerely,
Read
That's not me...close (sort of) but no cigar. I know about the Captcha thing and I DID try it 3 times...
Bree,
OK, sorry about that, got my lines crossed with Seaside. Please contact me directly ([email protected]).
Read

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
Hi Bree,
Read
readspear said:
Hi Bree,
Read
Hi Read!
Bree,
Sincerely,
Read
Bree,
OK, sorry about that, got my lines crossed with Seaside. Please contact me directly ([email protected]).
Read
OK, I got an account id. But then I couldn't log on. Have the tech person look at glitches with Firefox. I do allow cookies, from any and all. I could set up the account (today) doing nothing differently than yesterday. However, I could not then go in and use the supplied password. Worked fine on IE. As Swirt said elsewhere, it may have to do with my having ads blocked on Firefox so that's something to consider.
OK, onto the actual inputting of info. Very nice! I like the layout. It was very intuitive what to do. Didn't like that I can't enter a range of prices. My assumption is that has to do with the booking engine more than anything else, correct? You'll have to keep in mind, tho, that most lodging places have seasonal rates, so that needs to be taken into account. I could add the prices to the text, but I chose not to at this point.
The map. Why are there 2 points on the map? One shows what I am guessing is the 'center of town' and one shows where I'm located, sort of. It's off by a little bit, not much. However, as a guest I am assuming there are 2 locations for this one place or what? How do I know where I'm supposed to go?
It's a nice app. Thanks for all the work you did and for allowing the 'beta' folks to get into most of the features for free.

Hi Everyone,

Cheers,
CupandPillow.com.
Hi Read!
Hi Bree,
Read
readspear said:
Hi Bree,
Read
Hi Read!
Bree,
Sincerely,
Read
Bree,
Read
OK, I got an account id. But then I couldn't log on. Have the tech person look at glitches with Firefox. I do allow cookies, from any and all. I could set up the account (today) doing nothing differently than yesterday. However, I could not then go in and use the supplied password. Worked fine on IE. As Swirt said elsewhere, it may have to do with my having ads blocked on Firefox so that's something to consider.
OK, onto the actual inputting of info. Very nice! I like the layout. It was very intuitive what to do. Didn't like that I can't enter a range of prices. My assumption is that has to do with the booking engine more than anything else, correct? You'll have to keep in mind, tho, that most lodging places have seasonal rates, so that needs to be taken into account. I could add the prices to the text, but I chose not to at this point.
The map. Why are there 2 points on the map? One shows what I am guessing is the 'center of town' and one shows where I'm located, sort of. It's off by a little bit, not much. However, as a guest I am assuming there are 2 locations for this one place or what? How do I know where I'm supposed to go?
It's a nice app. Thanks for all the work you did and for allowing the 'beta' folks to get into most of the features for free.
Hi Bree,
Glad to hear that you felt it was intuitive--we spent a year developing and trying for just that!
Regarding the range of prices, we do three things: 1) The app will present a range when you enter your room rates. For example, if you enter the details of your "Blue Room" and the rate is $100/n and then enter your "Red Room" and the rate is $125/n the app will present a range from $100 to $125 on your Inn Detail page. 2) You can add different rates for different dates--so that addresses seasonality. 3) You can also enter a "Reserve Rate". This is very useful for slow seasons. What we did there is allow you to "auction" off your excess inventory (Preferred Listing feature). The rules for this from the guests' perspective are: bids accepted only with 10 days of stay, one bid a day per IP address within 20 miles of destination (second bid allowed, but you have to move 20 miles from first bid). These rules prevent incremental bidding and allow you to keep your reserve rate your secret (protects your rack rate and market position). Of course, you don't have to use this feature.
Map problem: the geocoding is all from Google and we have found a bug there. We expect to have those issues resolved soon.
Login/CAPTCHA issues: my tech dept. is working on it today. This is affecting about 4 people at this time and should also have that resolved by this afternoon. IE is usually the problem as the site is developed in Firefox and then cross tested, but I will pass that information along.
Thank you so much for all of your attention and comments--really very helpful!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Read

Back