Curiosity Questions

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodScout

Reaction score
Let's start a thread of "Curiosity Questions" - Questions guests ask you that just seem odd or out of place. Sometimes there's an agenda there, but often it's just questions they're curious about that always seem strange. I'll start out:

"How many guests do you have staying with you tonight?"

When staying at hotels, I often ask how full the place is.
This helps me predict how noisy the night may be and how crowded the breakfast room will be :)

I'm probably odd as usual, possibly things I'd say.

"How many guests do you have staying with you tonight?" - maybe nothing more than a conversation starter, perhaps an interest in the business.

"What do people do for a living here?" - conversation, might mean I like the town, could I earn a living in the area.

The comment I get lately (reference to sign at door) is that "oh you're full tonight" - no not really, but if I fill a room tonight it won't be ready in time for a reservation tomorrow.

Did you raise your rates this year?

yes and we’ll be raising them next year as well. The cost of bacon doubled. The cost of fruit doubled. Don’t get me started on how much it costs to run nine air conditioners 24/7 in 90 degree heat!

“Must be nice running a b&b, what to do you fill your time with once you’ve done serving breakfasts?”
I'm lucky enough to have not had this question. More often is:
"When do you get time off?" I answer: "That's what Winter is for" :)

"Was this place always a B&B?" No, it was originally a large family home, but it's perfect for a B&B.
"Oh, you live here too?" Yes. So, no shenanigans.
"What made you move here to _______?" Um, look around. We're in the mountains.

Conversation starters, but it's funny how they all ask the same questions.

"Was this place always a B&B?" No, it was originally a large family home, but it's perfect for a B&B.
"Oh, you live here too?" Yes. So, no shenanigans.
"What made you move here to _______?" Um, look around. We're in the mountains.

Conversation starters, but it's funny how they all ask the same questions.

When we first moved to Shinnston, the question we were asked the most was: You moved to Shinnston? ON PURPOSE???? That was in 1995. Now, a house is sold almost before it goes on the market - IF it is worth buying and livable.

Back