Curious about this TA phenom...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I have been waiting to see reviews complaining about our new train service. The whistle blows around 6 AM and then again at 7 AM and a few other times during the day. Plus, the train goes right by (within 30 feet) a chain hotel in town.
So, checked a couple of times and saw no reviews for this hotel after Oct. (Train started in Nov)
I opened the list of reviews and saw one new review from 3 weeks ago that is not showing up as the latest review in the list of hotels. Then checked another member of this chain and found the same thing. Their less than stellar latest reviews are not showing unless you open the individual listing.
So, the question is- can you get TA to 'hide' reviews by being a big name? We all know OUR latest bad reviews are out there for everyone to see!

I can't really see the reviews you are talking about. But as far as I know, TA doesn't hide them. What are you set to see, English or Any? Do you have any filters on? Take a look at where it says "196 reviews sorted by Date Rating". Do you have a filter on, there?

here is something interesting. i was listening to a talk show as i drove home from work ... and if i can find the repeat or podcast i will share it.
it was about car repair and car buying ... since my car has had $2000 worth of issues lately, i stayed tuned. then there was a turn in the conversation and ...
it was about a review site
but the reviews were about car dealers.
and the car dealers were saying that they did not have a premium listing on the site and they had very few good reviews showing up for them although their customers were giving them raves and telling them they were posting. one got a bad review and it was posted straight away. i guess they have forums, just like innkeepers do, and the feeling is that if they PAY for a premium listing, their good reviews suddenly shoot up.
how can this be? can this be true?
as a test, one dealership agreed with their dealer friends to pay for a paid listing and BOOM ... they want to the top of the site as best rated in their area.
coincidence? i don't know.
it's certainly something to think about
makes me wonder just how reliable these review sites are ... and as a society we LOVE to read reviews i guess.
i don't want to pay for angie's list ... which is supposed to be unbiased. but how can you trust these review sites when you hear such stories?

I can't really see the reviews you are talking about. But as far as I know, TA doesn't hide them. What are you set to see, English or Any? Do you have any filters on? Take a look at where it says "196 reviews sorted by Date Rating". Do you have a filter on, there?.
Filter by date. So I see all the latest reviews for the other hotels and B&B's except the 2-3 less than stellar reviews for the 2 chains.

here is something interesting. i was listening to a talk show as i drove home from work ... and if i can find the repeat or podcast i will share it.
it was about car repair and car buying ... since my car has had $2000 worth of issues lately, i stayed tuned. then there was a turn in the conversation and ...
it was about a review site
but the reviews were about car dealers.
and the car dealers were saying that they did not have a premium listing on the site and they had very few good reviews showing up for them although their customers were giving them raves and telling them they were posting. one got a bad review and it was posted straight away. i guess they have forums, just like innkeepers do, and the feeling is that if they PAY for a premium listing, their good reviews suddenly shoot up.
how can this be? can this be true?
as a test, one dealership agreed with their dealer friends to pay for a paid listing and BOOM ... they want to the top of the site as best rated in their area.
coincidence? i don't know.
it's certainly something to think about
makes me wonder just how reliable these review sites are ... and as a society we LOVE to read reviews i guess.
i don't want to pay for angie's list ... which is supposed to be unbiased. but how can you trust these review sites when you hear such stories?.
Yelp is being sued for just that situation. Complaints about not buying the listing and all of a sudden all their good reviews are showing up 'behind the scenes' where you have to click another link to see them.

I can't really see the reviews you are talking about. But as far as I know, TA doesn't hide them. What are you set to see, English or Any? Do you have any filters on? Take a look at where it says "196 reviews sorted by Date Rating". Do you have a filter on, there?.
Filter by date. So I see all the latest reviews for the other hotels and B&B's except the 2-3 less than stellar reviews for the 2 chains.
Try switching from "English first" to "Any" and see if that helps.
I have the page that used to show all the city's reviews bookmarked, since TA doesn't make it available easily anymore. So I can go through all the newest reviews.

Back