Current BnB Occupancy and Rates Across North America?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh we never going anywhere, everyone comes to our house.
Oh we only go to the grocery store, we don’t go ‘out.’
I only go to work, otherwise I stay home.

Clueless. Most, almost all, people are absolutely clueless. Hence our national crisis. We're incredibly lucky that this virus is only extremely contagious. Were it extremely deadly, like the black plague that killed 50%, the horror would be enormous.

The government here has been fining people who violate quarantine. If you want to come into the country and aren't an exception, you have to quarantine and have a quarantine plan. And there are only certain hotels set up for it. If you don't have a plan, you are sent to that hotel to quarantine so that you can be watched. And they are letting caravans through to Alaska. People are reporting the licence plates if they deviate from the path or violate quarantine. Fine is $1000 per person. There are also now boats turning off their beacons to violate quarantine. People around here are VERY upset.... apparently the fines aren't enough. Talk is of giving them 10 year or lifetime bans. And that includes soldiers on their way to a foreign army base who have violated quarantine.

It's being taken very seriously around here. And people are not happy with those who don't put on masks or who don't follow quarantine.

Agree that we're at the mercy of our guests honesty and understanding of the rules. We can only supply them the rules, the state's definition of what a quarantine is and what's required, and get them to sign the form saying they've done it and currently are asymptomatic.

That said, our staff treats every guest like they're Typhoid Mary, keeping distance, wearing masks, and practically fogging the place with Lysol the minute they leave an area. Aside from the obvious health dangers to our staff and ourselves, we know what a horror show it would be if our inn ended up on the local news as an outbreak hotspot.

The government here has been fining people who violate quarantine. If you want to come into the country and aren't an exception, you have to quarantine and have a quarantine plan. And there are only certain hotels set up for it. If you don't have a plan, you are sent to that hotel to quarantine so that you can be watched. And they are letting caravans through to Alaska. People are reporting the licence plates if they deviate from the path or violate quarantine. Fine is $1000 per person. There are also now boats turning off their beacons to violate quarantine. People around here are VERY upset.... apparently the fines aren't enough. Talk is of giving them 10 year or lifetime bans. And that includes soldiers on their way to a foreign army base who have violated quarantine.

It's being taken very seriously around here. And people are not happy with those who don't put on masks or who don't follow quarantine.
As an American, I've been very embarrassed about what so many of our countrymen are doing out in B.C. sneaking across the border.

I warned the relatives about drifting too close to the ‘other side’ when they were out on their boat in the St Lawrence.

As an American, I've been very embarrassed about what so many of our countrymen are doing out in B.C. sneaking across the border.

Not just BC. US Soldiers on the east coast as well.... there's a base out there.

Agreed. My Canadian cousins aren't visiting this year. I'm not visiting them. We visit on FB these days.

For last minute reservations, are you someplace not requiring a negative covid test?

I had to turn down an invite to go away for the weekend because I can’t get a test and results in time.
We require nothing, no test, no quarantine, not a questionnaire here in Virginia. As part of BnB consulting I have stayed from as far north as Asbury Park NJ and Lewes DE to as far south as Carolina Beach NC and Savannah over the past 2 weeks. At 16 bnb stays over last 16 days and not one question about health anywhere.

We have a government required questionnaire that we have to send them before arrival, asking about foreign travel, etc. And we specifically have to tell them ahead of time that if they think they may have COVID, they are not only required to disclose, but they need to quarantine themselves in the room and leave as soon as humanly possible. They are NOT allowed to quarantine here.

Back