Curtains: Opened or Closed?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This is a shower curtain question. If you have shower curtains in your guest bathrooms, do you leave them open or closed? I get why they should be fully extended- to air them out and to show off the pattern. But, creep city, walking into a new bathroom and seeing that expanse of curtain gives me the willies. I'd rather see the tub or shower than that expanse of curtain billowing in the breeze created by opening the door.

That's an interesting question. In two bathrooms - the biggest ones - I have them partially open. The other four are all closed. I don't really know why. The two that are open are double or triple-curtained; one has three curtains around a clawfoot tub and the other has two curtains on a standard tub, with the curtains pulled to the side and the liner mostly closed but a little open. In the clawfoot it is pulled back a bit where the shower rod is and where you would step in. All the others are standard singles and we keep all those closed. I haven't noticed any billowing though - we keep the bathroom doors open at check-in.

Hm...we leave both liner and curtain fully extended/closed so they dry out...on our clawfoot tubs we leave a little space open in the front.
We leave the bathroom doors and the guest room doors open until guests are checked in so we don't get the "billow" effect.

half way to 3/4 closed.
my shower curtains are so pretty ... i liked seeing them.

About 3/4 closed. The one clawfoot tub has just a small space open - we try to be sure to tell people to be sure to close it all the way when showering. After no incidents since we opened, we've had a few large puddles on the floor from people showering with the clawfoot tub curtain open!!

Mine are open. I change the liner so it is dry. I just have plain white for my plastic outer shower curtain so nothing to "show off". I want it open - I saw Psycho.

Mine are open. I change the liner so it is dry. I just have plain white for my plastic outer shower curtain so nothing to "show off". I want it open - I saw Psycho..
gillumhouse said:
Mine are open. I change the liner so it is dry. I just have plain white for my plastic outer shower curtain so nothing to "show off". I want it open - I saw Psycho.
Not so much Psycho as Stephen King...I went to a lecture he gave and that one particular thing sticks in my mind. He gave a perfectly normal little talk at the end to thank everyone for coming and said something along the lines of 'how, no matter how hard you think about it, you'll never remember if you left the shower curtain open or closed when you walk into your bathroom tonight...good night and thanks for coming out on this moonless winter night.'
And the place I just stayed had a teeny bathroom and you practically walked into the shower curtain when you went into the bathroom (the door barely cleared the side of the tub). Then again, a tub clear across the room would give me the willies even more. Sorry, just feeling creeped out today for some reason.

Mine are open. I change the liner so it is dry. I just have plain white for my plastic outer shower curtain so nothing to "show off". I want it open - I saw Psycho..
gillumhouse said:
Not so much Psycho as Stephen King...I went to a lecture he gave and that one particular thing sticks in my mind. He gave a perfectly normal little talk at the end to thank everyone for coming and said something along the lines of 'how, no matter how hard you think about it, you'll never remember if you left the shower curtain open or closed when you walk into your bathroom tonight...good night and thanks for coming out on this moonless winter night.'
And the place I just stayed had a teeny bathroom and you practically walked into the shower curtain when you went into the bathroom (the door barely cleared the side of the tub). Then again, a tub clear across the room would give me the willies even more. Sorry, just feeling creeped out today for some reason.
Probably the aftermath of halloween.

I have them fully closed at all times, except one corner where the bath mat is peeking out so they know it is there.
Seeing curtains closed give you the willies?

Drying out is imperative here so the mold free cloth liners don't mold.

I have them fully closed at all times, except one corner where the bath mat is peeking out so they know it is there.
Seeing curtains closed give you the willies?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Seeing curtains closed give you the willies?
Shower curtains, yes. Window curtains, no. Probably some trauma as a child...isn't everything?

I have mine 1/2 open in order to see the tub mat draped over the edge...
Of course they are also on the outside of the tub.... It is amazing to me just how many fail to place the liner INside BEFORE starting the shower...
angry_smile.gif

I have mine 1/2 open in order to see the tub mat draped over the edge...
Of course they are also on the outside of the tub.... It is amazing to me just how many fail to place the liner INside BEFORE starting the shower...
angry_smile.gif
I think you just have to assume many guests have never seen a shower curtain before and put the liner IN the tub and the fancy top curtain outside.
I will admit that when I was about 19, I stayed at my husband's sister's house overnight. She had this elaborate shower curtain 'system' with frills and bows and tie backs and a valance and it intimidated me. I didn't know if I was supposed to undo the tiebacks and pull the whole shower curtain across and INTO the tub or if it was strictly decorative and I should just leave it alone and 'make do' with the clear liner. Panic.
I DID know that no matter WHAT I did it was going to be wrong.
embaressed_smile.gif

I don't like the feel of the plastic liners during the shower so we use the thin cloth liners. But the cloth liners doesn't hold the water back and we get complaints of water on the floor... Would having a cloth liner with a plastic liner and then a nice outer curtain be going overboard? :eek:(

I don't like the smell of the plastic liners either.
Cloth liners aren't cheap they are the same price as a reg shower curtain!

One open. One closed. One halfway. The last one is a opaque shower door.
Yes, really.
=)
Kk.

I don't like the feel of the plastic liners during the shower so we use the thin cloth liners. But the cloth liners doesn't hold the water back and we get complaints of water on the floor... Would having a cloth liner with a plastic liner and then a nice outer curtain be going overboard? :eek:(.
That is what I do except I stop with 2. I have them on the same set of shower curtain hooks. It is very easy to pop the cloth liner off the hook, leaving the plastic outer curtain in place. I think I got them at Family Dollar for $5 each and the plain white outer curtain was about $10.

I don't like the feel of the plastic liners during the shower so we use the thin cloth liners. But the cloth liners doesn't hold the water back and we get complaints of water on the floor... Would having a cloth liner with a plastic liner and then a nice outer curtain be going overboard? :eek:(.
'Triple curtaining'? Way to go! Start a new upscale trend!
In my old house I had the cloth shower curtain liner I got at Penneys. I never had a water issue with that. It was 'treated' somehow. I haven't noticed a problem with the ones at hotels, either. Maybe you need a different kind. But the triple layering sounds really indulgent.

gillumhouse said:
Bree said:
gillumhouse said:
I LOVE that quote from Stephen King! I'm going to use it on my Facebook page, it's just too funny! I like the looks of a closed curtain and it drives me crazy when I have to close my daughters all the time because she doesn't like it closed either, she's afraid someone/thing might be in there!

Back