Custom Built Laundry Shelf

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
MTLLodge was kind enough to ask for a pic of my custom built laundry shelf... here it is!
The two shelves below the ironing board hold four baskets (one for each family member) with space for blankets or towels that need put away. I got this idea from my sister... the clothes are folded as they are removed from the dryer and each family member is responsible to take their clothes upstairs. (Although my kids are still young so at this point I do it, but they know where to find clean socks if they run out!)
Of the three shelves above the ironing board, the top shelf usually has white towels and cleaning cloths. The middle shelf generally holds sheets and colored towels, stacked by room. The bottom shelf has things waiting to be ironed, folded napkins, socks, table cloths, and whatever else.
The shelf is 4' wide by about 2' deep, and goes floor to ceiling. The ironing board has a countertop surface which I've covered with terry cloth and cotton, held in place by commercial strength velcro. In the picture there are two king-sized pillow cases laid out on the ironing board, with room for the iron next to them. Because I took them out when they were not quite dry and laid them flat they didn't require ironing. I can stack about an inch of placemats or pillowcases and still push the table back. As great as it is for ironing, it's awesome for folding.
To the right of the shelf are two electric panels. I have a laundry sorter/cart thingy I picked up at a yard sale in the space between the shelf and the wall, although most of the dirty clothes are in stacks on the floor or in spare baskets. Also to the right of the shelf, attached to one of the electric panel, is an outlet for the iron.
Directly across from the shelf are my HE washer and dryer. We also put a "box" shelf over the W/D which holds comforters, laundry detergent, and whatever else lands up there.
shelf-1.JPG
shelf-2.JPG

=)
Kk.

Thanks!
I had to go look... it's a Shark.
Basically, it's the nicest, most professional iron they had at Wal-Mart when my last one fell apart. Well... it was falling apart and then when I took it apart I killed it.
=)
Kk.

I am jealous of that much space. You have seen mine - almost non-existent. You should see the change in that kitchen since I got the new cabinet. You can actually SEE counter and I (whether it is true ot not) FEEL as if there is more space in the kitchen. I was able to give the gray cart to the Lord's Pantry so it is gone! Now if I can get that same miracle worked elsewhere....

I am jealous of that much space. You have seen mine - almost non-existent. You should see the change in that kitchen since I got the new cabinet. You can actually SEE counter and I (whether it is true ot not) FEEL as if there is more space in the kitchen. I was able to give the gray cart to the Lord's Pantry so it is gone! Now if I can get that same miracle worked elsewhere.....
gillumhouse said:
I am jealous of that much space.
Yes, I was thinking... the other B&B's here in town may have beautiful, elegant, authentic period furniture, but I have my awesome laundry set up. Why should I be jealous of them?
=)
Kk.

Thank you for the picture! Chris is starting to finish our walk out basement. It will have my big function room (for wine dinners etc) and a large laundry room and the back is his wine making space. I was thinking of a big island in the middle for folding and now I want some shelves like that too!
Riki

I am jealous of that much space. You have seen mine - almost non-existent. You should see the change in that kitchen since I got the new cabinet. You can actually SEE counter and I (whether it is true ot not) FEEL as if there is more space in the kitchen. I was able to give the gray cart to the Lord's Pantry so it is gone! Now if I can get that same miracle worked elsewhere.....
gillumhouse said:
I am jealous of that much space.
Yes, I was thinking... the other B&B's here in town may have beautiful, elegant, authentic period furniture, but I have my awesome laundry set up. Why should I be jealous of them?
=)
Kk.
And I bet dollars to donuts yours is easier to clean too!
I used to go home from the "beautifuL" places looking at mine as yuck until til the day it dawned on me that I would hate to have to clean that beautiful house with its lovely fretwork and the gorgeous crystal chandelier.... Gave me a whole new attitude adjustment toward my house.

Thank you for the picture! Chris is starting to finish our walk out basement. It will have my big function room (for wine dinners etc) and a large laundry room and the back is his wine making space. I was thinking of a big island in the middle for folding and now I want some shelves like that too!
Riki.
egoodell said:
An island could be good, too...
Mostly I went with the space I have. My laundry room is sort of L shaped, and the shelf is just across from the W/D... when the table's pulled out and the dryer is open there is less than a foot between them. I was thinking tonight that I wouldn't mind the table being another six inches in each direction... king size shams with hems that stick out are too deep, and king sized sheets, folded in half, are too wide. But it's a small quibble.
The rest of the room is to become a kitchenette, so to the left of the shelf (and slightly visible in the photo) is a countertop with space for stools below and cabinets above. Further around to the left are base cabinets as well. Dh has has his coffee making area there. There's an huge, ancient (cool!) sink there, too, and a chest freezer.
It's not a kitchenette yet because we haven't gotten a fridge to put in there yet... so in the meantime the room has become a repository of a BIG pile of clutter that needs sorted and decrapified.
When I was reading the forum before I opened I read that everyone wished they had more storage. So as my contractor worked I insisted he turn every nook and cranny into additional storage space. I'm soooo glad I did!
=)
Kk.

Riki.
egoodell said:
An island could be good, too...
Mostly I went with the space I have. My laundry room is sort of L shaped, and the shelf is just across from the W/D... when the table's pulled out and the dryer is open there is less than a foot between them. I was thinking tonight that I wouldn't mind the table being another six inches in each direction... king size shams with hems that stick out are too deep, and king sized sheets, folded in half, are too wide. But it's a small quibble.
The rest of the room is to become a kitchenette, so to the left of the shelf (and slightly visible in the photo) is a countertop with space for stools below and cabinets above. Further around to the left are base cabinets as well. Dh has has his coffee making area there. There's an huge, ancient (cool!) sink there, too, and a chest freezer.
It's not a kitchenette yet because we haven't gotten a fridge to put in there yet... so in the meantime the room has become a repository of a BIG pile of clutter that needs sorted and decrapified.
When I was reading the forum before I opened I read that everyone wished they had more storage. So as my contractor worked I insisted he turn every nook and cranny into additional storage space. I'm soooo glad I did!
=)
Kk.
Can you iron fitted sheets on that table? Looks like a good use of the space.

I am envious!!!! My laundry area is the size of an oversized closet, room enough for washer, dryer and a 3 bin laundry cart. It seemed fine when it was just us, not for a B&B, which I did not consider then. When we were remodeling the 2nd floor, we did think about puting in a laundry shoot but could not find a good place to put one. So for laundry this place is 0 for 2.
sad_smile.gif

I am envious!!!! My laundry area is the size of an oversized closet, room enough for washer, dryer and a 3 bin laundry cart. It seemed fine when it was just us, not for a B&B, which I did not consider then. When we were remodeling the 2nd floor, we did think about puting in a laundry shoot but could not find a good place to put one. So for laundry this place is 0 for 2.
sad_smile.gif
I have 2 laundry areas, one in the basement. The other is a converted bathroom. We took the shower out and put in a stackable unit. There are shelves on every wall possible. Still not enough room as I certainly cannot iron in there!

HOW DO YOU IRON?
Let's use pillowcases as the example. Do you fold in half and iron, do you fold into segments and iron, do you iron all the way open like in the photo above?
I iron in half to get the crease down the middle of the pillowcases. My spare pillowcases for spare pillows I iron in fourths to get segmented creases.

HOW DO YOU IRON?
Let's use pillowcases as the example. Do you fold in half and iron, do you fold into segments and iron, do you iron all the way open like in the photo above?
I iron in half to get the crease down the middle of the pillowcases. My spare pillowcases for spare pillows I iron in fourths to get segmented creases..
If this was a generic question about ironing, I iron the pillowcases flat, in sections. I don't iron in the creases, they form on their own once the pillowcases are folded.
confused_smile.gif

HOW DO YOU IRON?
I iron in half to get the crease down the middle of the pillowcases. My spare pillowcases for spare pillows I iron in fourths to get segmented creases..
You iron creases in? I iron flat to get the creases out.

HOW DO YOU IRON?
happyjacks said:
I am cracking up. Yes, I iron them IN. I iron a nice crease that will be right down the middle of the pillow case so they look like I ironed them. ha ha Then I iron them in 4ths to get a boxed look on the spares so I can always tell if they have been used. On that subject, WHY DO GUESTS PUT USED PILLOWS BACK IN A CLOSET? What the! They do it all the time. So without doing the "SNIFF" test, I need to see if they have been used.

HOW DO YOU IRON?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I iron in half to get the crease down the middle of the pillowcases. My spare pillowcases for spare pillows I iron in fourths to get segmented creases.
I echo Bree... iron open, then fold, and plenty of fold creases remain.
I have a tassle around here somewhere that I'm planning to put around the two spare pillows in the Music Department. That's the only one where I can't tell if the pillows have been put back.
=)
Kk.

Back