Customer Service Survey

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guesthouse

Reaction score
How do you measure customer satisfaction? Word-of-mouth, returning customers, referals? Do you ask your guests to complete a guest survey? What is your best tool for measuring customer satisfaction.

Hugs when they leave, cards in the mail (I got one today thanking us for a fantastic stay - saying she would be back and requesting the same exact "so delish breakfast" again on her next stay) great reviews, referrals, repeats, gratuities, gifts, guest book comments, requests to take their photo on the porch, not storming out and throwing their coffee at me.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

All are signs of a satisfied customer. A happy guest shows in their face.

I do not send a customer survey. I have comment books in each guest room for guests to write comments. When I get depressed I go upstairs and read the books.

We talk to our guests. You kind of hope they'll tell you if something is wrong. If we know there is a specific problem, we will ask direct questions about what might be an issue (but only if it is an issue we can fix). I can't fix the traffic, so I don't ask about it. I CAN fix other problems, or at least call someone who can (temp of hot water, as an example). We get raves about our beds and yet one reviewer said they were terrible. My guess is it wasn't what she was used to and we could have fixed things had she told us. Too soft? We'll take off the mattress pad. Too hard? We'll add more 'pouf'.
We also read all the reviews we get anywhere like TA or bandb.com.
And, I'm not embarrassed to eavesdrop on conversations guests are having about other places they have stayed and how we compare.
Have I ever sent a survey or left one in the rooms? No. It's an idea but it seems so 'cold and impersonal'.
Funny, we get about 30% return guests but I rarely get 'my friend told me about you'. So, it's hard to say.

I do not send a customer survey. I have comment books in each guest room for guests to write comments. When I get depressed I go upstairs and read the books..
gillumhouse said:
I do not send a customer survey. I have comment books in each guest room for guests to write comments. When I get depressed I go upstairs and read the books.
Those are fun for guests to read as well (I peaked in the one in my room).
Sidetrack alert - Did I tell you all - just to side track a weenie bit - that instead of the guest books in the rooms I put little books in the rooms for people to write special places or things they did while here? I saw this at a cabin last summer - "Go 2 miles down this path along the lake and you will find a small hanging bridge" it was like a gold nugget we had uncovered. So I thought I would do this here as well.

One of our reservations for Valentines weekend was from a couple who said their friends stayed with us last summer. They said their friends told them they just HAD to stay with us, so they did.
as much as we love it when people praise us ,when they are checking out, there's always a little part of you that hopes they are really being sincere. Things like this let us know they are sincere. We also love to read our guestbook & reviews, they are a good pick me up for those moments when you may be feeling a little insecure about yourself.
We have gotten holiday cards, family photos, thank you notes from guests. A lady mailed me a cookbook last summer.On Valentine's weekend, when one couple checked out, they gave us a brand new book (about the area) to add to our book library, they had bought for us when they were out at dinner the night before. We were so surprised & touched!

I do not send a customer survey. I have comment books in each guest room for guests to write comments. When I get depressed I go upstairs and read the books..
gillumhouse said:
Sidetrack alert - Did I tell you all - just to side track a weenie bit - that instead of the guest books in the rooms I put little books in the rooms for people to write special places or things they did while here? I saw this at a cabin last summer - "Go 2 miles down this path along the lake and you will find a small hanging bridge" it was like a gold nugget we had uncovered. So I thought I would do this here as well.
Many of our guests have told us that instead of reading the book they brought, they got caught up in the comment book.

gillumhouse said:
Many of our guests have told us that instead of reading the book they brought, they got caught up in the comment book.
gillumhouse said:
We get a lot of requests for the breakfast they read about in the room book!
Never forget that those room books are a great selling point for your place to someone who might be a little leery or new at the B&B thing. Those books tell them, 'Hey, look at this, a LOT of people liked this place, so I will, too!'

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
Never forget that those room books are a great selling point for your place to someone who might be a little leery or new at the B&B thing. Those books tell them, 'Hey, look at this, a LOT of people liked this place, so I will, too!'
I just put book #3 in the Gillum Room. Volumes #1 & #2 are in the nightstand drawer.

gillumhouse said:
gillumhouse said:
I just put book #3 in the Gillum Room. Volumes #1 & #2 are in the nightstand drawer.
gillumhouse said:
I have yet to replace a book but I am getting close. 2 rooms are pretty well filled up so I bought replacement books a month ago. I think I will take the originals away when I replace them. I want to make sure I have them to read over!

One thing that we have done is to ask other B&B owners, whom we don't know, to have a complimentary stay with us and critique our B&B. They are always open and up front about what they like and what needs improving. We ask them to fire away because most guests will be reluctant to complain. And as B&B owner's themselves they know what we are looking for. This has been tremendously helpful. We also ask our guests to leave reviews on various websites where we are listed. Because they are anonymous they write the truth. Luckily the reviews have been positive. What I have found over the years is that most guests are happy to be here, away from home, work, etc. and tend to like the "humanness" of our B&B and us. We laugh a lot, share stories, and genuinely enjoy spending time together. They will be less likely to complain about a squeaky floor (or whatever) when everything else is wonderful and they feel pampered. And they keep coming back.

One thing that we have done is to ask other B&B owners, whom we don't know, to have a complimentary stay with us and critique our B&B. They are always open and up front about what they like and what needs improving. We ask them to fire away because most guests will be reluctant to complain. And as B&B owner's themselves they know what we are looking for. This has been tremendously helpful. We also ask our guests to leave reviews on various websites where we are listed. Because they are anonymous they write the truth. Luckily the reviews have been positive. What I have found over the years is that most guests are happy to be here, away from home, work, etc. and tend to like the "humanness" of our B&B and us. We laugh a lot, share stories, and genuinely enjoy spending time together. They will be less likely to complain about a squeaky floor (or whatever) when everything else is wonderful and they feel pampered. And they keep coming back..
Country Girl said:
One thing that we have done is to ask other B&B owners, whom we don't know, to have a complimentary stay with us and critique our B&B. They are always open and up front about what they like and what needs improving. We ask them to fire away because most guests will be reluctant to complain. And as B&B owner's themselves they know what we are looking for. This has been tremendously helpful. We also ask our guests to leave reviews on various websites where we are listed. Because they are anonymous they write the truth. Luckily the reviews have been positive. What I have found over the years is that most guests are happy to be here, away from home, work, etc. and tend to like the "humanness" of our B&B and us. We laugh a lot, share stories, and genuinely enjoy spending time together. They will be less likely to complain about a squeaky floor (or whatever) when everything else is wonderful and they feel pampered. And they keep coming back.
You are giving away your location. Or should I say, location vicinities you are not near...there are certain clusters of people in or from certain parts of the country who complain about anything and everything.
The only unhappy attitudes we have are someone staying here due to a wedding in town and all the stress that goes with that, an uncle or brother they have a long going feud with, or a graduation - same scenario. Here because they had to be. That is why weddings and graduations aren't always the best guests, usually first time B&B goer as well. You would think THEY would be rejoicing at how nice and all the extras they get at a B&B!

We have comment cards in each room. People will tell you things on a comment card that they would be uncomfortable saying to you in person.

Back