CVV Codes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
Recently we had to change Merchant CC Machines. Our new Clover machine requires CVV codes for Card Absent transactions.

When guests book, they are not asked for their CVV codes. I contact them after they book online and ask for their CVV code. I am hard pressed to get it. They usually do not answer the phone, return phone calls or emails. I am hard pressed to charge them if they are no shows or cancel short of our policy,
How do you handle this? Thanks!

Ask for the code during the reservation process.
Does your machine actually require the code or can you by pass it? My machine asks for it, but it is bypassable with a few extra key strokes.

Can't you change your online system to ask for their number? If not, what system are you using?

Suzie Q said:
I contact them after they book online and ask for their CVV code. I am hard pressed to get it.
I'll bet some are suspicious and don't want to give it over the phone. My online system (ResKey) takes it, but they don't pass it on to me. It goes to Authorize dot net, who holds it inside Fort Knox.

Suzie Q said:
I contact them after they book online and ask for their CVV code. I am hard pressed to get it.
I'll bet some are suspicious and don't want to give it over the phone. My online system (ResKey) takes it, but they don't pass it on to me. It goes to Authorize dot net, who holds it inside Fort Knox..
That is the reason we are no longer with that company. I need access to that number.

Does your machine actually require the code or can you by pass it? My machine asks for it, but it is bypassable with a few extra key strokes..
I asked Clover (mini) and they confirmed I needed it. First Data is processor. Paid $400 for machine in October.

I tried to manipulate Webervations to ask that question, instead of why are you coming, but it didn't show up.

Does your machine actually require the code or can you by pass it? My machine asks for it, but it is bypassable with a few extra key strokes..
I asked Clover (mini) and they confirmed I needed it. First Data is processor. Paid $400 for machine in October.

I tried to manipulate Webervations to ask that question, instead of why are you coming, but it didn't show up.
I contacted Clover again. This time they said there was a way I could skip it on Credit cards but not on Debit cards, as Debit cards needed a pin. THANK YOU!

Do any ResKey users get the CVV?.
When guests book directly, res key asks for it. I get it. My Allocator gets it from my OTAs. I had to specially request it from Booking last year.

Do any ResKey users get the CVV?.
When guests book directly, res key asks for it. I get it. My Allocator gets it from my OTAs. I had to specially request it from Booking last year.
2cat_lady said:
I have it required from Bdotcom but have had a few slip by without it. It has been a pain getting it though them too as the # is not retained in their system only shown once (if received). I have had to tell the CS rep 'no CVV #, no reservation!'

Back