Cyber tourist office project welcoming your inputs and comments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoxeo

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am a web designer and I am working on a platform that should be useful to promote your B&B. (Plus It is free !)
The idea is to allow visitors to define their (geographic) area of interest and get access to 3 types of info: what to do (events), what to visit, where to stay.
I invite you to try: http://www.geoxeo.com/content/itemlist.html?v=3&b=-5.668945,3.032227,55.028022,49.724479&p=n&c=38
I would be grateful for any useful comments.
do you understand the concept ? do you find the platform easy to use (to explore, to add your B&B) ? what is missing in the platform ?
If your web browser does not work (I use Firefox 3.6) or if you just want to have quick overview, you can evaluate the platform watching these short videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvD4yNPYIIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7GpbZZeHz4
I am aware there is not much content at the moment; but the essence of a community site is to have the members be in control of their data.
So if you can try and add your B&B, this will provide data for GeoXeo visitors as well as data and insight for the project.
Thanks

VBwebsites, now do you see why there is skepticism when you post here? You are not the only one, we are hit often, but if you have valuable innformation, please stick around, we love that, and you might get some nibbles on your baited hook for webdesign. :)

I totally understand.. Sometimes i ramble on :) Thankfully, I didnt do that one :)

Had a bit of a play with this and am still non the wiser how I am supposed to advertise with you. You need to have a clear link something like Do you have information on a place to stay? event etc click here to add it. If I was a holiday person it was fine I put in the place and the stuff popped up but I would point out that Harrogate where I live has 150 B&B's/Guesthouses and hotels and none popped up. There was also no events. Are you relying on the event people to post their events to it? If so I have some people you could contact for my area that would post to you if it is free.

I agree with camberley, I don't see the point of the site, nor anywhere to sign up theron.

I agree with camberley, I don't see the point of the site, nor anywhere to sign up theron..
I think the idea is say you were comming to "Town A" for something and looking for accomodation and intended to stay one night when you put in "Town A" it would pop up with there is "Event B" at that same time have you thought about going? then the people may go to the event and then stay another night. The theory is good but in the UK the Toursit Information office is already doing this tying up attractions with places to stay ie you look at the attraction's web site and it pops up with are you looking for somewhere to stay? and so on. It is a smart idea to increase the spend. However this chap needs to make it somewhere both attractions and accomodation find it easy to work with. At the moment the design falls down.

I agree with camberley, I don't see the point of the site, nor anywhere to sign up theron..
I think the idea is say you were comming to "Town A" for something and looking for accomodation and intended to stay one night when you put in "Town A" it would pop up with there is "Event B" at that same time have you thought about going? then the people may go to the event and then stay another night. The theory is good but in the UK the Toursit Information office is already doing this tying up attractions with places to stay ie you look at the attraction's web site and it pops up with are you looking for somewhere to stay? and so on. It is a smart idea to increase the spend. However this chap needs to make it somewhere both attractions and accomodation find it easy to work with. At the moment the design falls down.
@camberley
You absolutely get the point.
The feature I am adding is the ability to move around with the map (and zooming in and out)
This way, you don't even have to care about names (of towns); you just zoom in to your destination area and the list of results is filtered to show only what is within the boundaries of the map.
This is specially useful if you go to the countryside where B&B are not so concentrated; it is difficult to read a list of B&B / town where you cannot figure out where the town is ...
Thanks again for your comments
Please, can you explain what you mean by
However this chap needs to make it somewhere both attractions and accomodation find it easy to work with

Had a bit of a play with this and am still non the wiser how I am supposed to advertise with you. You need to have a clear link something like Do you have information on a place to stay? event etc click here to add it. If I was a holiday person it was fine I put in the place and the stuff popped up but I would point out that Harrogate where I live has 150 B&B's/Guesthouses and hotels and none popped up. There was also no events. Are you relying on the event people to post their events to it? If so I have some people you could contact for my area that would post to you if it is free..
@camberley
Thanks for your comments and your time,
To add an article you just have to click on 'Post your article !'. If you are on the 'Places to stay' view, you will add one, if you are on 'Events' view,you will add an event. Anyway, I'll try and make it more obvious.
I have put your hotel on the map (I hope you won't mind).
I don't hide that this site is a project and this is why hardly anything pops up ... yet.
Posting is FREE and events are welcome ... this is actually where I think the site has value.

@Little Blue,
Thanks for your visit,
The 'sign up' links comes when you try to 'log in' or 'Post your article !'
I take from your comment that I'll have to spend time on presentation and ergonomy

Had a bit of a play with this and am still non the wiser how I am supposed to advertise with you. You need to have a clear link something like Do you have information on a place to stay? event etc click here to add it. If I was a holiday person it was fine I put in the place and the stuff popped up but I would point out that Harrogate where I live has 150 B&B's/Guesthouses and hotels and none popped up. There was also no events. Are you relying on the event people to post their events to it? If so I have some people you could contact for my area that would post to you if it is free..
@camberley
To add an article you just have to click on 'Post your article !'. If you are on the 'Places to stay' view, you will add one, if you are on 'Events' view,you will add an event. Anyway, I'll try and make it more obvious.
I don't hide that this site is a project and this is why hardly anything pops up ... yet.
Posting is FREE and events are welcome ... this is actually where I think the site has value.
I don't mind would you like me to email you Harrogate's july events?

@camberley
You absolutely get the point.
The feature I am adding is the ability to move around with the map (and zooming in and out)
This way, you don't even have to care about names (of towns); you just zoom in to your destination area and the list of results is filtered to show only what is within the boundaries of the map.
This is specially useful if you go to the countryside where B&B are not so concentrated; it is difficult to read a list of B&B / town where you cannot figure out where the town is ...
Thanks again for your comments
Please, can you explain what you mean by
However this chap needs to make it somewhere both attractions and accomodation find it easy to work with
You will find as you go along accomodation people and attraction people tend to be quite organised and they will only have to sign up once however event people tend to be like herding cats! this may be because a lot of the time they are charities and volunteers and they will have to update you more often. It is all about getting your name onto the right lists of things that people have to update with events and things.

@camberley
I don't mind would you like me to email you Harrogate's july events?
Yes, go ahead ...
I may come back to you to locate them precisely when I have posted them

Back