Cyclists

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Those of you who get guests arriving on or with bicycles. Do you have a bicycle storage area? Do you allow guests to take them to their rooms? Do you feel responsible in anyway for the safety and security of their 'ride'?
We live in an extremely small and safe area. I have a couple who have arrived on bikes and expected to take them to their room. I told them that was not permitted and they must lock the up outside. They are not happy campers.
They claim every other place they have stayed has permitted them in the guest rooms.
Am I being unreasonable?

We let them keep them in our garage, although most people just keep them locked in the rack on their cars. I would NOT let them be taken into/out of a guest room.
Edited to add, as I am cracking up, that I asked hubs if HE would let them in a guest room. His answer was to ask if they keep them in their bedroom at home!

Is this a question or a vent?
I need to know before I reply.
wink_smile.gif

Just kidding...we have had guests with 10K+ bikes who do not want them even out in the elements. They assume they will bring them into the rooms and I have not allowed it. They then put them right next to the front door and I ask "Do you not have a lock for the $10K bike x 4?" No.
We live in a small town but who knows where the other guests are from! Maybe they want a new bike... :)
I will do what I can to accommodate them without the bikes actually making it up the stairs.

Do not laugh, I know some people who keep their motorcycle in the living room.
That said I get a lot of bikers. NO to take them to their room. They either leve them locked on the rack on their car (that is why they come to B & Bs isn't it - we are usually safer) or they bring them up on the porch and lock them there. Usually if they have a bike rack, they have a lock. If they do not, I DO!

We would NEVER let them put bikes in their room. They are probably not telling the truth unless they go to some pretty dumpy places:-( We always allow our guests to put their bikes in our locked garage. We were glad to do that for them.

If they are true bicyclists and they have been anywhere else on their bikes, they should know enough to ASK ahead of time where the bikes will be stored. I have had the same issue as you, and we have an outdoor bike rack only. We do offer a tarp to cover it from the elements. I don't have any inside space where I would put them; once a woman wheeled hers through the front door and I told her no bikes in the Inn. One bicycling duo were extremely put out by this and also didn't carry locks. They were pretty much PITAs the whole time they were here and they were the final straw in our partnership with a bike tour company. We do have a covered patio (not as secure as the bike rack, though) and extra bike locks for borrowing.
By the way, that is a good thing to have if you can do it - a shed for bikes. If you want to attract bicyclists, get one and add it to your website pronto. We are in a hysteric district and would have a hard time getting approval for such a structure.

wink_smile.gif

Just kidding...we have had guests with 10K+ bikes who do not want them even out in the elements. They assume they will bring them into the rooms and I have not allowed it. They then put them right next to the front door and I ask "Do you not have a lock for the $10K bike x 4?" No.
We live in a small town but who knows where the other guests are from! Maybe they want a new bike... :)
I will do what I can to accommodate them without the bikes actually making it up the stairs..
Jo Bloggs said:
wink_smile.gif
Not a vent. Just a question. .
I have had guests 'sneak' bikes into their rooms before and ended up having to spackel out the kickstand gouges in the hallways.
angry_smile.gif

No more bikes in rooms here.

If they are true bicyclists and they have been anywhere else on their bikes, they should know enough to ASK ahead of time where the bikes will be stored. I have had the same issue as you, and we have an outdoor bike rack only. We do offer a tarp to cover it from the elements. I don't have any inside space where I would put them; once a woman wheeled hers through the front door and I told her no bikes in the Inn. One bicycling duo were extremely put out by this and also didn't carry locks. They were pretty much PITAs the whole time they were here and they were the final straw in our partnership with a bike tour company. We do have a covered patio (not as secure as the bike rack, though) and extra bike locks for borrowing.
By the way, that is a good thing to have if you can do it - a shed for bikes. If you want to attract bicyclists, get one and add it to your website pronto. We are in a hysteric district and would have a hard time getting approval for such a structure..
muirford said:
We are in a hysteric district and would have a hard time getting approval for such a structure.
Ok, that Freudian slip made me laugh out loud!!!

By the way, that is a good thing to have if you can do it - a shed for bikes. If you want to attract bicyclists, get one and add it to your website pronto. We are in a hysteric district and would have a hard time getting approval for such a structure..
muirford said:
We are in a hysteric district and would have a hard time getting approval for such a structure.
They are hysteric about it .....as well as historic:)

muirford said:
InnsiderInfo said:
muirford said:
I'm glad, but it wasn't Freudian.
wink_smile.gif

ETA: Off-topic and a rant- I am having a little run-in with the hysterical society who seem to think that housing the visitors center (at a market rate for rent) in their building would somehow sully its nature and be a blight on the building. A few members are unhappy that it would eliminate the room where they stock the bar when they have their parties, attended by a crowd of mostly geezers and their facelifted spouses. They really are hysterical.

We have a locked storage shed, which we let guests use. I allowed a guest to bring in her bike once, but she hadn't ridden it, it was clean and she was the only guest, had her leave it in the entranceway. I would not allow them to bring them in their rooms for sure. #1 Not my responsibility. #2 that's what insurance is for.

muirford said:
InnsiderInfo said:
muirford said:
wink_smile.gif

ETA: Off-topic and a rant- I am having a little run-in with the hysterical society who seem to think that housing the visitors center (at a market rate for rent) in their building would somehow sully its nature and be a blight on the building. A few members are unhappy that it would eliminate the room where they stock the bar when they have their parties, attended by a crowd of mostly geezers and their facelifted spouses. They really are hysterical.
Aw, I truly thought it was a mistake! And yes, they sound completely hysterical and not that concerned with historical, or sharing the historical!

muirford said:
InnsiderInfo said:
muirford said:
wink_smile.gif

YEP..I knew EXACTLY what you meant :) They are hysterical. Small town thing ...huh???
We have a few of those around here too. I have to bite my tongue at most Garden Club meetings. WHen I do speak up because I can't take it any longer...I am surprised because there are actually people who feel the same way I do. Guess someone has to open it up.
embaressed_smile.gif

That said I get a lot of bikers. NO to take them to their room. They either leve them locked on the rack on their car (that is why they come to B & Bs isn't it - we are usually safer) or they bring them up on the porch and lock them there. Usually if they have a bike rack, they have a lock. If they do not, I DO!.
Motorcycle in the living room ??!! Is the living room on wheels, is my next question ?
teeth_smile.gif
Mary in Va.

That said I get a lot of bikers. NO to take them to their room. They either leve them locked on the rack on their car (that is why they come to B & Bs isn't it - we are usually safer) or they bring them up on the porch and lock them there. Usually if they have a bike rack, they have a lock. If they do not, I DO!.
Motorcycle in the living room ??!! Is the living room on wheels, is my next question ?
teeth_smile.gif
Mary in Va.
Actially 2. We had a honeymoon couple and he had a vintage motorcycle in his living room - on wheels completely start ready. We also know someone who has a vintage motorcycle also in his living room. This man has bikes that have been in exhibits at the Gugenheim and are in many motocycle books. I cannot remember who it was (as in whether it was a guest or someone we talked to at a MountainFest) has cathedral ceiling and has 2 of his prizes in niches in the living room. Oh yes, those are their babies! And some of them are worth more than I ever will be....

We have one very large suite in our second house with its own entrance and I've allowed bicyclists to bring their bike in there because there's plenty of room. I used to have room in our second garage but it is now full of our son's belongings. Most of the cyclists that we've had have locks and bike carriers or have their bike in a pickup truck. They've all been pretty pricey bikes.

Our rooms are far too small to accommodate bikes. I have always allowed guests to put them on the side porch, out of the weather, and out of sight of the road. They have always been happy with that, albeit after they have secured them to a porch post with a lock.

I would not allow dirty bikes in a guest room and no one else did either, they lied.
I don't want to be responsible for guests' expensive toys so I hopr they have locks on their roof racks.

And on this thread we had a set of cyclists last week who were adamant that they did NOT want to keep their bikes in our garage...instead they locked them to a tree on our side patio which created a road block for anyone who wanted to walk through there. Then they left the bike lock here after they left....geesh.

I would not allow dirty bikes in a guest room and no one else did either, they lied.
I don't want to be responsible for guests' expensive toys so I hopr they have locks on their roof racks..
Frankly, the bikes that these folks that have brought into the one suite where we allow it? The bikes are cleaner and better cared for than my car. :)

Back