Damages to our property and declined CC!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I filled in a registration a year or two ago that asked for car tag number. I think it was in Hawaii. Might have been in California. It was the first time I'd seen that question in years.
Who knows their car tag number? I always just make something up when asked for something like that. Nobody has ever questioned it.

I don't think anyone's mentioned calling Authorize.net directly. I've spoken with them before about a client's account and they were very helpful.
This is what their webiste says about that particular message, though it doesn't look like much help. Maybe the original charge was fraudulent and the bank was notified which would result in a future chargeback (worse case scenario) :
Declined (Card declined by issuer - contact card issuer to determine reason.)
This generally occurs for one of two reasons:
  1. The customer's credit card issuing bank did not approve the transaction. This could be for insufficient funds, frozen account status, invalid credit card number or expiration date, etc. Unfortunately the card issuing bank does not provide additional details regarding the reason for the decline. The customer will need to contact the card issuing bank for more information. One way to recognize a bank decline is to look at the transaction's Address Verification Service (AVS) status in the Authorization Information section of the Transaction Detail page. If it shows AVS Not Applicable (P), this generally means that no verification of the address information was initiated as the transaction was declined beforehand.
  1. The transaction may have been declined by your processor based on transaction limits established by your Merchant Service Provider (MSP). Your MSP sets both per-transaction and monthly transaction amount limits for your transaction processing. If you have questions regarding your transaction limits, please contact your MSP. A phone number to your MSP should be on your most recent funding statement.

I don't think anyone's mentioned calling Authorize.net directly. I've spoken with them before about a client's account and they were very helpful.
This is what their webiste says about that particular message, though it doesn't look like much help. Maybe the original charge was fraudulent and the bank was notified which would result in a future chargeback (worse case scenario) :
Declined (Card declined by issuer - contact card issuer to determine reason.)
This generally occurs for one of two reasons:
  1. The customer's credit card issuing bank did not approve the transaction. This could be for insufficient funds, frozen account status, invalid credit card number or expiration date, etc. Unfortunately the card issuing bank does not provide additional details regarding the reason for the decline. The customer will need to contact the card issuing bank for more information. One way to recognize a bank decline is to look at the transaction's Address Verification Service (AVS) status in the Authorization Information section of the Transaction Detail page. If it shows AVS Not Applicable (P), this generally means that no verification of the address information was initiated as the transaction was declined beforehand.
  1. The transaction may have been declined by your processor based on transaction limits established by your Merchant Service Provider (MSP). Your MSP sets both per-transaction and monthly transaction amount limits for your transaction processing. If you have questions regarding your transaction limits, please contact your MSP. A phone number to your MSP should be on your most recent funding statement.
Thanks. I actually had investigated at Authorize.net and read that explanation of the "declined" message. I can guarantee you it's not reason two (over our monthly limit for transaction processing)!
As #1 says, only the card issuing bank can explain exactly why it was declined, and we have no way of finding that out. That info is on the card itself and, of course, we didn't look.
A few times when I've used my card online I've been asked for the name of the issuing bank. This must be why some ask that. Like most card users, I thought it was part of the process of verfiying that I am the legitimate card holder or something. Nope. It's to track my card issuer down if the card is declined later.
The #1 stuff about AVS Not Applicable doesn't apply in our case. We have the correct address. I think she's just over her limit. I don't think she was able to cancel the card or tell them not to let us charge them in such a short time.
So far it's still declined, and will continue to be until she makes a monthly payment on account. So we'll keep trying occasionally for the next few weeks. Of course, she may then have the CC company reverse the charge. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it (the kneecapping option?).

See if this rather long article helps you find the info you need:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Issuer_Identification_Numbers
You do need to have those first 6-8 digits, tho.

If you are using ResKey, then the full credit card number is held for up to 30 days after check out. You just have to go to the credit card section where the number is blocked out with all but the last four digits and click "reveal"

If you are using ResKey, then the full credit card number is held for up to 30 days after check out. You just have to go to the credit card section where the number is blocked out with all but the last four digits and click "reveal".
Proud Texan said:
If you are using ResKey, then the full credit card number is held for up to 30 days after check out. You just have to go to the credit card section where the number is blocked out with all but the last four digits and click "reveal"
That doesn't work the same way on Reskey any more - one portion of the card number is emailed to you and the other is contained in the credit card section. At least, my version of ResKey doesn't work that way.

The e-mailing of a portion of the cc number is only done if you are using "Offline Credit Card" as your payment method. That is, you get the cc number and run it through manually yourself.
PT and I use the Authorize.net payment option where the card is charged automatically. We don't get a partial cc number in an e-mail. ResKey and a.net handle it all for us.

The e-mailing of a portion of the cc number is only done if you are using "Offline Credit Card" as your payment method. That is, you get the cc number and run it through manually yourself.
PT and I use the Authorize.net payment option where the card is charged automatically. We don't get a partial cc number in an e-mail. ResKey and a.net handle it all for us..
Arkansawyer said:
PT and I use the Authorize.net payment option where the card is charged automatically. We don't get a partial cc number in an e-mail. ResKey and a.net handle it all for us.
Ah, so it is stored in your Reskey account, not just the authorize.net account? I started using Reskey after it was changed to an email method; I believe before you clicked on the reveal button to see the cc number. Now the reveal button on my account does nothing, although it is still there. It does not show the credit card number for me.

PT and I use the Authorize.net payment option where the card is charged automatically. We don't get a partial cc number in an e-mail. ResKey and a.net handle it all for us..
Arkansawyer said:
Ah, so it is stored in your Reskey account, not just the authorize.net account? I started using Reskey after it was changed to an email method; I believe before you clicked on the reveal button to see the cc number. Now the reveal button on my account does nothing, although it is still there. It does not show the credit card number for me.
Muirford, give John an e-mail. I don't use a.net and I still have the full number showing. It retains it for the 30 days. I think it's an option you can change with John.

Arkansawyer said:
Muirford, give John an e-mail. I don't use a.net and I still have the full number showing. It retains it for the 30 days. I think it's an option you can change with John.
Breakfast Diva said:
No it is not an option, you just haven't been switched over, it is like everything PCI complaince. Anyone that signed on after you did has the partial number.

Arkansawyer said:
Breakfast Diva said:
No it is not an option, you just haven't been switched over, it is like everything PCI complaince. Anyone that signed on after you did has the partial number.
I don't really mind getting the emails; it's easy enough. I don't charge an advance deposit so I rarely need the info. It was only a problem the last few weeks when the emails stopped intermittently - apparently the mail server he used was flagged as a spam IP address by my ISP, meaning I never got the emails - not in my junk email, not on my server account. He has switched it so that now I get them again.

If you are using ResKey, then the full credit card number is held for up to 30 days after check out. You just have to go to the credit card section where the number is blocked out with all but the last four digits and click "reveal".
Proud Texan said:
That doesn't work the same way on Reskey any more - one portion of the card number is emailed to you and the other is contained in the credit card section. At least, my version of ResKey doesn't work that way.
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
We are talking about Reservation Key, right? It should be the same for you as it is for me.

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
We are talking about Reservation Key, right? It should be the same for you as it is for me.
Proud Texan said:
Yes, I have Reservation Key. No, it is not exactly the same for everyone - there are options which can be turned on and off; John has used that to test some things on mine. I can tell you for sure that clicking 'reveal' in my account does not bring up the credit card number, and never has.

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
Yes, I have Reservation Key. No, it is not exactly the same for everyone - there are options which can be turned on and off; John has used that to test some things on mine. I can tell you for sure that clicking 'reveal' in my account does not bring up the credit card number, and never has.
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
You should get that feature turned on then. It's very helpful.

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Mine is the same as Muirford. I contacted John when I started as in my initial review of the site, the system worked like yours does. He had just implemented this a day or so before I started. As JB stated it is for PCI compliance and I do not think this is a feature he will turn on for new clients. He stated that at this time he was not going in to change his previous clients but they could request the change.
Actually it is not difficult to handle it in this method. I make a folder in my email addy for each month (res. date) and once the month has passed it is deleted. All very secure this way & we can be totally PCI compliant as the full number is not retained in one system or at our location.

Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Proud Texan said:
muirford said:
Proud Texan said:
Mine is the same as Muirford. I contacted John when I started as in my initial review of the site, the system worked like yours does. He had just implemented this a day or so before I started. As JB stated it is for PCI compliance and I do not think this is a feature he will turn on for new clients. He stated that at this time he was not going in to change his previous clients but they could request the change.
Actually it is not difficult to handle it in this method. I make a folder in my email addy for each month (res. date) and once the month has passed it is deleted. All very secure this way & we can be totally PCI compliant as the full number is not retained in one system or at our location.
copperhead said:
I am also fine with the email method. My only problem has been that my emails are not getting to my ISP, and that is a problem for many reasons other than not having the credit card number. Same as copperhead, I don't worry about my own PCI compliance now.

Just a total bummer.
We had a situation where we had a single traveler who had his card declined at checkout for a large amount. He was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. He wanted to have us charge him after he cleared up the problem with his card. We insisted that he pay his bill before departing. He had to go to a bank to acquire cash and come back and pay his bill. Once you let them outside of your spell, they forget what they promised and begin making up reasons to not pay. Once you let them go or make an arrangement, the balance of power shifts. If they say they won't or can't pay. you can call the police. Never had to do anything like that, but we would if we had to. I suppose that's why a hotel registers a guest and the licence plate of their car..
Happy Keeper, I have not had to give my license plate number for my car at hotel registration in eons. Just sayin'...
regular_smile.gif

It was on the registration form I got last year - whether I filled it in or not, it was there.
Interesting...we've stayed in a mix of quite a few hotels and B&Bs since we closed our biz and have been traveling a lot (in different areas of the country) and it has never been requested.
Yeah...it is kind of a motel type thing. We don't get it at major city hotels either, but it does pop up here and there. Besides, I laughed at my first reaction when I reread it. Call the police? WHo am I kidding.

Just to give what I HOPE is the final report on this one, when ResKey sent out the automatic "we hope you enjoyed your stay" e-mail 3 days after they left, the girl saw at the bottom that she had a $70 balance due for damage to the paddles.
She called, apologized for her card being over its limit, and promised it would be okay to charge the card yesterday. We forgot yesterday but Linda ran it through today from ResKey and it worked! Received confirmation from Authorize.net that the daily settlement has transferred the money to our account.
Let's just hope it stays there!

Just to give what I HOPE is the final report on this one, when ResKey sent out the automatic "we hope you enjoyed your stay" e-mail 3 days after they left, the girl saw at the bottom that she had a $70 balance due for damage to the paddles.
She called, apologized for her card being over its limit, and promised it would be okay to charge the card yesterday. We forgot yesterday but Linda ran it through today from ResKey and it worked! Received confirmation from Authorize.net that the daily settlement has transferred the money to our account.
Let's just hope it stays there!.
Good, that settles it.

Let's just hope it stays there!.
cheers.gif

Back