Damages to our property and declined CC!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arks

Reaction score
Folks who stayed at one of our river cottages broke two of our kayak paddles. Said they'd pay for the damages. Just charge the card, they said.
Processed the $70 charge through ResKey after they left. Response was "declined".
Logged onto Authorize.net that we use to handle ResKey charges. The transaction says:

[td]Transaction Status:[/td]
[td]Declined (Card declined by issuer - Contact card issuer to determine reason.)[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]
Does anybody know how to handle this? I can't find anywhere Authorize.net lists the name of the card issuer, so we can't contact them.
Also, they only display the last 4 digits of the CC number. Anybody know a way to get the whole CC number? We pay for the Authorize.net "Customer Information Manager" service that keeps the whole CC number on file for future charging , but don't know how get the number, the issuing bank, or to handle a declined CC number!

Sorry Arks, and I will add even if you DO get their cc and charge it then you will end up with a chargeback and have to refute it with the bank. So I hope you have a damage clause on everything in your cottages...
A little known fact is that we are authorized to charge for rooms, not damages. If we have not discussed this lately, it is a loophole in our business. Document everything...

I'd put in a police report (force the police to put the damage property report) and then call them and ask how to proceed. If you get a chargeback after that, then you have the police report to show the cc company and of course, you can always go to small claims with it, which just adds more costs and hassle.

This girl just feels like the type who maxes out credit cards often. Her room charge went through fine a few days ago. I'm thinking/hoping we can run the damages charge thought every week for a few weeks and eventually it will go through OK.
I'm just amazed that the CC processor (Authorize.net) doesn't list the full CC number or the issuing bank so we can investigate further. There must be a way to do that.
As JB said, there is a huge loophole in our business if the CC companies don't see charges for damages as a legitimate charge (our terms make it clear that damages will be charged to the card). Hotels always get the CC info up front to charge for "incidentals" during your stay. Surely if you trash one of their rooms, they have recourse with the credit card. Surely.

They live in Fort Worth, Texas, and we have their home address. I'm mad enough to drive there and confront them.
Or have Proud Texan pay them a visit (he's only a few miles away, but he probably charges more than the $70 they owe us to kneecap people). I'm a mad Razorback and they're just a limp Fort Worth Horned Frog!

This girl just feels like the type who maxes out credit cards often. Her room charge went through fine a few days ago. I'm thinking/hoping we can run the damages charge thought every week for a few weeks and eventually it will go through OK.
I'm just amazed that the CC processor (Authorize.net) doesn't list the full CC number or the issuing bank so we can investigate further. There must be a way to do that.
As JB said, there is a huge loophole in our business if the CC companies don't see charges for damages as a legitimate charge (our terms make it clear that damages will be charged to the card). Hotels always get the CC info up front to charge for "incidentals" during your stay. Surely if you trash one of their rooms, they have recourse with the credit card. Surely..
Arkansawyer said:
Hotels always get the CC info up front to charge for "incidentals" during your stay. Surely if you trash one of
their
rooms, they have recourse with the credit card. Surely.
Hotels are in the same position we are. One of our guests manages 3 hotels and we have discussed this issue. He tells me that if the guest disputes the charge for damages, even though they have their signature saying they will be responsible, the credit card company goes against them. They've been told over and over that they have to take it to small claims.
It's not right, and it's not fair, but if there's a dispute, we lose.

Just a total bummer.
We had a situation where we had a single traveler who had his card declined at checkout for a large amount. He was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. He wanted to have us charge him after he cleared up the problem with his card. We insisted that he pay his bill before departing. He had to go to a bank to acquire cash and come back and pay his bill. Once you let them outside of your spell, they forget what they promised and begin making up reasons to not pay. Once you let them go or make an arrangement, the balance of power shifts. If they say they won't or can't pay. you can call the police. Never had to do anything like that, but we would if we had to. I suppose that's why a hotel registers a guest and the licence plate of their car.

As JB said, there is a huge loophole in our business if the CC companies don't see charges for damages as a legitimate charge (our terms make it clear that damages will be charged to the card). Hotels always get the CC info up front to charge for "incidentals" during your stay. Surely if you trash one of their rooms, they have recourse with the credit card. Surely..
Arkansawyer said:
Hotels always get the CC info up front to charge for "incidentals" during your stay. Surely if you trash one of
their
Hotels are in the same position we are. One of our guests manages 3 hotels and we have discussed this issue. He tells me that if the guest disputes the charge for damages, even though they have their signature saying they will be responsible, the credit card company goes against them. They've been told over and over that they have to take it to small claims.
BD - And that would be why vacation rentals take a security deposit!.
Arks, you might be fuming at this moment but take a deep breath, continue to attempt the charge every few days, and think not just about the principle of it but the actual cost of pursuing it. Sometimes you just have to look at this as a cost of doing business. Not that this is OK by any stretch, but if you have items that might be broken by guest use consider for those cottages a refundable use deposit - almost like the pre authorization at bars and gas stations. Then you know up front the card will clear or if it won't you are prepared to deal with it on check out.
There is a hotel chain that when checking in authorizes an additional $X per day for incidentials, then charges the exact amount at check out.

I'm sorry this happened! I have had stuff like this happen before! I end up getting so mad I send them to a collection agency! Thru will send letters and call all day long and make life misserable for them! It will also reflect on their credit score! You might never get the money, but you will have the last word!

Arkansawyer said:
their
Arks, you might be fuming at this moment but take a deep breath, continue to attempt the charge every few days, and think not just about the principle of it but the actual cost of pursuing it. Sometimes you just have to look at this as a cost of doing business. Not that this is OK by any stretch, but if you have items that might be broken by guest use consider for those cottages a refundable use deposit - almost like the pre authorization at bars and gas stations. Then you know up front the card will clear or if it won't you are prepared to deal with it on check out.
There is a hotel chain that when checking in authorizes an additional $X per day for incidentials, then charges the exact amount at check out.
not A chaine babe most hotels do this in the UK it is usually the room price plus $50 per person per day

Arkansawyer said:
their
Weaver said:
But if the CC company is going to side with the cardholder if there is a dispute over damages, then that pre-authorizing doesn't accomplish much. :-(

Arkansawyer said:
their
Weaver said:
Arks...take a deep breath...Sometimes you just have to look at this as a cost of doing business.
But I can still have Proud Texan kneecap them, right? :)

Arkansawyer said:
their
Weaver said:
But if the CC company is going to side with the cardholder if there is a dispute over damages, then that pre-authorizing doesn't accomplish much. :-(
Arkansawyer said:
Weaver said:
you got it.

Arkansawyer said:
their
Weaver said:
Arks...take a deep breath...Sometimes you just have to look at this as a cost of doing business.
Arkansawyer said:
Weaver said:
That's the spirit!!!

Hey Arks, before you send PT in with a baseball bat have you tried calling them? An email perhaps? Before getting the police involved maybe a few attempts at communication.

Hey Arks, before you send PT in with a baseball bat have you tried calling them? An email perhaps? Before getting the police involved maybe a few attempts at communication..
I am with Weaver on this one. Try to collect directly from the guest. Sometimes it is just a temporary glitch or a bill they forgot to pay. We have only been stiffed twice in 23 years from checks that were bad. We ultimately collected on both. One was a very bad dude who had a reputation all over the state but we collected after going the legal route. The other was a foreign professional whose bank declined the original check because she had not used the checking account before.
Sorry I can't help you with the CC issue. We don't have that problem.

if you're able to eventually get the charge through, hopefully they'll feel bad about the damage and not dispute the charge. If they're young, they may not even know they have the option to dispute.

Just a total bummer.
We had a situation where we had a single traveler who had his card declined at checkout for a large amount. He was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. He wanted to have us charge him after he cleared up the problem with his card. We insisted that he pay his bill before departing. He had to go to a bank to acquire cash and come back and pay his bill. Once you let them outside of your spell, they forget what they promised and begin making up reasons to not pay. Once you let them go or make an arrangement, the balance of power shifts. If they say they won't or can't pay. you can call the police. Never had to do anything like that, but we would if we had to. I suppose that's why a hotel registers a guest and the licence plate of their car..
Happy Keeper, I have not had to give my license plate number for my car at hotel registration in eons. Just sayin'...
regular_smile.gif

Just a total bummer.
We had a situation where we had a single traveler who had his card declined at checkout for a large amount. He was the nicest guy you would ever want to meet. He wanted to have us charge him after he cleared up the problem with his card. We insisted that he pay his bill before departing. He had to go to a bank to acquire cash and come back and pay his bill. Once you let them outside of your spell, they forget what they promised and begin making up reasons to not pay. Once you let them go or make an arrangement, the balance of power shifts. If they say they won't or can't pay. you can call the police. Never had to do anything like that, but we would if we had to. I suppose that's why a hotel registers a guest and the licence plate of their car..
Happy Keeper, I have not had to give my license plate number for my car at hotel registration in eons. Just sayin'...
regular_smile.gif

It was on the registration form I got last year - whether I filled it in or not, it was there.

Just a total bummer.
regular_smile.gif

It was on the registration form I got last year - whether I filled it in or not, it was there.
Interesting...we've stayed in a mix of quite a few hotels and B&Bs since we closed our biz and have been traveling a lot (in different areas of the country) and it has never been requested.

Back