Damages

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
A hot iron put down onto the antique wood desk...they showed it to us and asked how much and we charged them $25. DH said this would be sufficient. Now we have to sand the entire desk and refinish it. A HOT IRON.

we had a similar incident with bed damage looked like they had tried to swing from a four poster bed we said we would see how much it cost and then let them know. They were with their boss on a work outing and she was really nice and was nearly in tears about it. I am more inclined to be lenient if people come to me straight away about damage (depending on the scale) but they seemed like complete idiots would have charged at least $50-60 as it is your time as well as varnish.

OH MY...what are people thinking????? Sorry that happened to you. I would cry.

angry_smile.gif

whattha.gif

Small comfort but at least they had the guts to tell you before they left.

whattha.gif

Small comfort but at least they had the guts to tell you before they left..
Lately one room seems to be bearing the brunt of cluelessness. One antique dresser now has two spots where someone has put down something square that has taken the finish right off. Slightly larger than a pack of cards each time. That's on the winter list but it's been like that for months now. Can't remove it from the room and can't refinish it in place.

whattha.gif

Lately one room seems to be bearing the brunt of cluelessness. One antique dresser now has two spots where someone has put down something square that has taken the finish right off. Slightly larger than a pack of cards each time. That's on the winter list but it's been like that for months now. Can't remove it from the room and can't refinish it in place.
Alibi Ike said:
Can't remove it from the room and can't refinish it in place.
You dudes make fun of doilies - but that's what dresser scarves are made for!

The comfort is they DID TELL US and the wife stood there (today was her bday) feeling sick. I told her "I know you feel worse about it then we do, please don't let it ruin your birthday"
Because they brought us up to see the damage before check out we were nice.

whattha.gif

Alibi Ike said:
One antique dresser now has two spots where someone has put down something square that has taken the finish right off. Can't remove it from the room and can't refinish it in place.
That's why I had glass tops made for all my dressers and nightstands, and then put the dresser scarves UNDERNEATH the glass....mars to the finish were hidden, and top was protected from further damage.

whattha.gif

Alibi Ike said:
muirford said:
Alibi Ike said:
Used to have them everywhere. Coffee stains. Wine stains. Just can't win. My guests would figure out how to break glass toppers, not even going to go there.

The comfort is they DID TELL US and the wife stood there (today was her bday) feeling sick. I told her "I know you feel worse about it then we do, please don't let it ruin your birthday"
Because they brought us up to see the damage before check out we were nice..
Well yes, I guess you do have to give them that. They were honest enough to fess up to what they did and not just leave and have you find it. I would have been nice to them as well. While thinking all the while...what idiot puts an iron on a piece of furniture when it is hot????? Oh well.

Heck, some of the best antique finds are those with water circles and hot iron marks.
wink_smile.gif
However, NEVER discount your time to repair damage. How much would it cost you if you hired it out? Charge at least that much.

Always appreciate hearing about it rather than finding it on my own ...
We have been having a problem with towel racks pulling out. Maybe a bit too much stress applied, but I figure it is up to me to make them stronger. My job for tomorrow.

whattha.gif

Alibi Ike said:
Sorry-I DON'T do doilies, but we got a thick piece of glass cut to the size of all dresser/nightstand tops. Has saved refinishing. Working well so far & adds a "polished" look.

We have been having a problem with towel racks pulling out. Maybe a bit too much stress applied, but I figure it is up to me to make them stronger. My job for tomorrow..
Tom said:
We have been having a problem with towel racks pulling out. Maybe a bit too much stress applied, but I figure it is up to me to make them stronger. My job for tomorrow.
I have found towels crammed all twisted into the towel rack to the point of tearing the plaster off the wall. I have to use force to remove them. Another one of those 'why in the world!' moments. I can totally see towels racks being pulled out of the walls.

We have been having a problem with towel racks pulling out. Maybe a bit too much stress applied, but I figure it is up to me to make them stronger. My job for tomorrow..
Tom said:
I have found towels crammed all twisted into the towel rack to the point of tearing the plaster off the wall. I have to use force to remove them. Another one of those 'why in the world!' moments. I can totally see towels racks being pulled out of the walls.
Joey Bloggs said:
Tom said:
I've had the same problem. Toggle bolts in sheetrock don't seem to cut it. I wish I had had the foresight to add a 2x4 brace in the wall for towel rods when I built my cottages. The next time one gets pulled off the wall, I'm going to screw a 1 x 4 to the wall with wood screws into the studs then just paint it the same color as the wall. I'll run my router around the edges to make it purdy.

Tom said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Tom said:
I've had the same problem. Toggle bolts in sheetrock don't seem to cut it. I wish I had had the foresight to add a 2x4 brace in the wall for towel rods when I built my cottages. The next time one gets pulled off the wall, I'm going to screw a 1 x 4 to the wall with wood screws into the studs then just paint it the same color as the wall. I'll run my router around the edges to make it purdy.
Its definately the way to go I think people try and use them to stand up from the toilet (towel rail not grab rail! DUH) It's why all our wardrobes are fastned to the wall dont trust people not to hang a ton of stuff on the doors and pull them over on themselves.

whattha.gif

Don't laugh ..... try mayonnaise

Wonder if cement board would be sturdy enough?
I do like the idea of providing 2x4 between studs where towel and toilet paper racks will be........if, when remodeling
I'm having that problem now...and it's not nightly strangers.....I'm waiting for a tile or two to be ripped off the wall.....when one of them is trying to get off the toilet........There is a handicap bar on the wall, fastened into studs.....toilet paper holder is what they grab onto.........<sigh>

Back