Dark Sky

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
I saw this on a list of road trip worthy sites:
It is 2.4 hours from us, but may be closer to some of you.
Trivial Destination
Dark Sky[/h3]
Why It’s Worth the Gas:
A truly dark sky is an increasingly rare thing these days. In fact, I’d be willing to argue that few of us have ever truly experienced a dark sky full of stars. Spruce Knob, at 4,863 feet, is the highest mountain in West Virginia and is surrounded by mostly forest and tiny towns that don’t emit much light pollution. Thanks to the sheer volume of people in the Southeast, Spruce Knob is one of the last truly dark places in the Southern Appalachians. Go there for vertigo-inducing darkness and more stars than you can count. darksky.org
Here is wiki on this and shows location
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spruce_Knob

Not quite in my back yard, but not far. Just too far (and roads I would not drive in dark) for me to use it. We do have some WVBBA members in that area and one is very near the radio telescope - Green Bank. The closer you get to Green Bank the more no cell service to interfere with messages from ET.

Thanks! I looked up the observatory near me and this is really cool!

We sit on the eastern edge of the USA, in a rural coastal area, so our night sky is "as dark as the inside of your pocket" except for the occasional interuption of the light house beam, which is visible sometimes, but not always. There is nothing to the east but the Atlantic and very little night pollution to the extreme north and south. But we don't have the kind of elevation that the mountains provide, with that clean, crisp atmosphere. I'm putting your suggestion on our "to go see some day" list...sounds like a good reason for a trip south!

Our B & B in WV was awsome and it was a dark sky first time I saw it i fell in love with the State. Our 6 person hot tub was on a hill and at night you could sit in that hot tub and just be completely mesmerized, it actually felt like you could touch them-missing my WV right about now...luckily and with God's blessings we still have one of the houses which we plan to retire in and my daughter and son are taking care of it..

I've said in other threads that this time of year it's doesn't get completely dark here, but once we are away from the summer solstice the night skies are completely black here and the stars are amazing, you can even see satelites going over. Keep meaning to go out one night when the space station is passing over.

Back