Darn it - I got super snippy with guests last night

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
One guy books. Takes the room that can have three beds because there is an outside possibilty (mostly governed by weather) that his family may come with him. Booking was confirmed as ONE with the codicil that he would let me know as soon as possible if more were coming.
The room has two beds and a sofa bed. The sofa bed needs significant time to set up - furniture has to rearranged and the bed itself needs a lot of time to open because previous guests "broke" it.
Weather is not the best, but I called him on his cell phone at least 4 times to make sure it was just him. No reply so left messages. Check-in 3-6. Nothing. At 7:30 - because we're starving DH plates dinner and I start to write a nice welcome note for the front door. As I'm writing it the car drives up and I see a single guy. I go to meet him and say - "Hi - great timing, I was just writing you a note to leave on the front door". Why? "Because check-in ended an hour and a half ago and we were about to eat".
Oh, says he, but we had to stop to eat. WE????? Yes - I've got my family waiting in the car.
My snippiness went along the lines of "But you said you would call." - I know but it was very last minute. "but you stopped for dinner" - yes, the kids were hungry. "but didn't it even occur to you to call while you were having dinner, I could have had everything ready for you". It's OK, we don't mind. "Yes - but I DO".

That guest needed a slap. YOU called HIM. He didn't notice that? During all the time they were having dinner he couldn't check for messages?
You were hungry and deep down you knew he was going to do this. Snip away.

Rotten!
Reminds me of the urine I cleaned up all around the toilet yesterday, what as surprise from the mean "I WILL USE BB.COM GC's or else - guests" Disrespect is something I cannot handle. Sorry UKMainiac! We're here for you, we want to slap the daylights outa that dude!

It drives me mad people like this you don't tell them to call in advance and let you know cos you don't have anything else to do do you? I say to DH sometimes you can hear me can't you? when I move my mouth sound comes out doesn it?

pita.gif
Rude, arrogant and demeaning. Of course you don't mind, you're just "the help" after all. I'm so sorry you had to deal with this.

same with this, waiting here 30 minutes late to serve breakfast to their specified breakfast time...waiting waiting...don't worry about me, I don't have a life! I have 10 things I need to be doing this morning, besides sitting here waiting for you to ramble down the stairs.

Im in super snippy mode today cos I have a blinding headache and have been hearding cats all day grrr

Im in super snippy mode today cos I have a blinding headache and have been hearding cats all day grrr.
Im in super snippy mode today cos I have a blinding headache and have been hearding cats all day grrr
We remember that we may wake up snippy but you have already been there and done that an all day worth of work by the time we are up at at em, esp if we are on the west coast USA, right now it is only 545am there.

Im in super snippy mode today cos I have a blinding headache and have been hearding cats all day grrr.
If you were closer I would send you one of these. A joke amongst our innkeeper friends who all love that expression as it so closely describes what we do all day!
thumb_herding%20cats_0.jpg

Unfortunately for you - snippy coming from you would never sound snippy (so I would not sweat something that should have been a "in that case, at the last minute, we cannot accept the reservation" - don't you wish we could do that sometimes even though we never would?) I say unfortunately because he probably did not get it!

Too bad you could not just hand him the sheets to make it up himself....
RIki

Unfortunately for you - snippy coming from you would never sound snippy (so I would not sweat something that should have been a "in that case, at the last minute, we cannot accept the reservation" - don't you wish we could do that sometimes even though we never would?) I say unfortunately because he probably did not get it!.
I would agree - but last night I was definitely, unquestionably snippy .... and - shame on me - I chastised him.
I couldn't or wouldn't see the bright / funny side. Even though I had done everything I could to contact him, I had left breakfast shopping until the last minute because I love to tailor things to the guests coming in and one adult male will be treated very differently from a family of four with two kids under the age of 7. Stayed in the fancy togs until 7:15 when I finally thought I could change into something comfortable, have that G&T and EAT. That's when he / they arrived .... and to paraphrase Queen Victoria "We were not amused".

Unfortunately for you - snippy coming from you would never sound snippy (so I would not sweat something that should have been a "in that case, at the last minute, we cannot accept the reservation" - don't you wish we could do that sometimes even though we never would?) I say unfortunately because he probably did not get it!.
I would agree - but last night I was definitely, unquestionably snippy .... and - shame on me - I chastised him.
I couldn't or wouldn't see the bright / funny side. Even though I had done everything I could to contact him, I had left breakfast shopping until the last minute because I love to tailor things to the guests coming in and one adult male will be treated very differently from a family of four with two kids under the age of 7. Stayed in the fancy togs until 7:15 when I finally thought I could change into something comfortable, have that G&T and EAT. That's when he / they arrived .... and to paraphrase Queen Victoria "We were not amused".
Please, please, please- don't be hard on yourself. You are HUMAN. You reacted as any human would. Yes, you are an innkeeper and as such have an ethic that is like no other. But don't beat yourself up over last night.
I am sure you can find a way to "make it up to them", even though they probably didnt' feel the slight at all.
Put on your tiara and let the good times roll today! :)

Please, please, please- don't be hard on yourself. You are HUMAN. You reacted as any human would. Yes, you are an innkeeper and as such have an ethic that is like no other. But don't beat yourself up over last night.
I am sure you can find a way to "make it up to them", even though they probably didnt' feel the slight at all.
teeth_smile.gif
You're a sweetheart. Many people know that I'm usually good at "changing" the situation - at worst, I will do something that amuses me which allows me to "enjoy" the situation and that rubs off on the guests. Making a sucky situation "work" leaves me smiling and relaxed. Last night I griped at the guest and felt miserable for it. BUT - you're right - we're all human.
OK - off to find my tiara (although it will probably be disguised as a cowboy hat today)

teeth_smile.gif
You're a sweetheart. Many people know that I'm usually good at "changing" the situation - at worst, I will do something that amuses me which allows me to "enjoy" the situation and that rubs off on the guests. Making a sucky situation "work" leaves me smiling and relaxed. Last night I griped at the guest and felt miserable for it. BUT - you're right - we're all human.
OK - off to find my tiara (although it will probably be disguised as a cowboy hat today)
My instant thought when I saw the title of the thread and that it was you... They must have deserved it!

gillumhouse said:
Unfortunately for you - snippy coming from you would never sound snippy (so I would not sweat something that should have been a "in that case, at the last minute, we cannot accept the reservation" - don't you wish we could do that sometimes even though we never would?) I say unfortunately because he probably did not get it!
SO wish I had done just that the other day. Couple walks in - wife full of smiles, the other ranting and raving. In the 15 min or so that we spoke with them (their entire stay) he was just nasty - I almost stopped short of taking them upstairs, then thought maybe he will change. No...he rumbled to her about our place on the way in and out (we could hear him even though we were out of site)... so wish I had just said 'we are not a fit' right from the get-go. They left early without letting us know, good for us and for our other guests but I would have offered take-alongs. Some people come in with a chip, there is nothing you can say or do to knock the chip off - but given the chance I would have loved to give it a boot along with the piller attached!
omg_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif
My instant thought when I saw the title of the thread and that it was you... They must have deserved it!
WOW - talk about how to make me feel better instantaneously.
cheers.gif

Thank you.

The one time I made a remark to guests who arrived at 10:30pm without calling, they gave us our only bad review on Tripadvisor. They made stuff up to get back at me. Now if they arrive really late my husband greets them; I'm not a good actress so find it hard to be pleasant that late.
Some people have never stayed at a B&B and for some reason don't understand that we don't have staff. If we get up at 6AM to make breakfast when do they think we relax?

id have said as well i make all the breakfasts fresh and shop locally for those special ingredients so now there may not be enough food for all of you because you didn't let me know. Ill have to go out specially and try and find somewhere that is open to get your breakfast.

Back