Day off ..... and a car drives up ....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
I'm In glorified PJs .... just finished cooking and eating a huge pile of waffles. Health Inspector.
omg_smile.gif
House smelled great, but I hadn't even started to clean up after lunch, let alone the plates from last night's dinner. She passed us on everything and left saying "keep up the good work".
regular_smile.gif
I am very, very relieved and happy. I guess, apart from the plates on the kitchen counter, everything else was clean, tidy, dated, correctly stored, at correct temps etc.

Congratulations! I cannot imagine you ever failing anything. Your smile would blind to anything out of place.

I dread the inspector showing up when we're 'off'. I was in my jammies until noon yesterday. I wonder how far south your inspector gets? We could start a trend! Innkeepers in jammies.
Yesterday the bell rang at 9- coffee delivery. Then at 10 I got the door and it was someone delivering brochures who gave me a look! Wild hair, jammies, the whole 9 yards.

Thankfully our health inspector schedules the yearly review in the spring with a few days notice. It's stressful enough without having a surprise arrival of the white glove!

Thankfully our health inspector schedules the yearly review in the spring with a few days notice. It's stressful enough without having a surprise arrival of the white glove!.
Ours is always without notice. We have friends who were lambing when the inspector showed up and demanded they come in out of the barn to show the property. Or fail. He would not come back on a different day as he said that gave them 'fair warning' which wasn't fair.
Not fair to the ewes, either, but the inspector didn't care.
The previous inspector was tough but considerate. If you had an emergency you could ask him to come back and he would, no points taken off.

Whew! Good job!
My health inspections here were totally by surprise also, twice a year. One time I had literally walked in the door and dropped my suitcase after returning from a trying trip visiting one of my siblings who was critically ill. I told the inspector the truth and that the B&B had been closed in my absence. Fortunately, she agreed to come back the next day. There was no way that I was going to let them in when I had no idea what state my dh had left things in!

We have to be on our toes as the Environmental Health office is literally across the street from us - last time they came was no notice - we can turn them away but I worry it looks bad - we are only supposed to have one every 2 years but they have been twice in 2 years now - 4 stars out of 5 first time (they couldn't give us 5 as we were new management) and then 5 out of 5 this time -
However woman must have thought I was crackers as she came to the door said "hi Im environmental health can I come in" and I nearly said "no your not you've just been!" trouble was it was a different woman to last time but very similar looking and my dad was here as we were trying to go for a mini break to Birmingham (ie bell rang I was putting the bags in the car) so I was desperately trying to get her whipped through - however my dad loves to chat and thought she was the same woman that came last time so thoroughly confused her with "like you said last time we have implemented XYS etc" and im kicking him going - its not the same woman!

Thankfully our health inspector schedules the yearly review in the spring with a few days notice. It's stressful enough without having a surprise arrival of the white glove!.
The "white glove" thing makes me smile. Our Inspector (newish) carried a cap with her. She is sweet and chatty but tells you that, once she puts the cap on, it's all business. Once done, she takes it off with a flourish, is all smiles, and you're free to chat again. It's actually a really effective way for her to get to know the innkeepers, but establish her authority when it comes to the inspection.

Back