Day off in July

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a record June, finally dared to check: July is down at least 29% over other years. ?????????????????????

Here we go again-an email this morning to shorten the stay by 2 days and a phone call to add 1 day to another booking. One step forward and 2 steps back

After a record June, finally dared to check: July is down at least 29% over other years. ?????????????????????.
It's a strange summer. This is a first that I'm discounting during the week to fill empty rooms. Weekends are and have been completely booked for a while. August is looking the same. Weekends busy, weekdays plenty of openings. Fingers crossed they fill in!

We seem to have had an unusually high number of cancellations this summer, but we have somehow managed to rebook them (sometimes at the last minute), so with the exception of a few orphan nights that we blocked, we have been and will be (barring any further cancellations) fully booked from the last week in June up to Labor Day weekend. We have had and are scheduled to have at least some guests on the property continuously, every night, from June 16 to October 14.
Last year was still better overall, though, but so far this year seems like it will be OK (fingers crossed for the rest of the season, as we approach the half-way point....)

Our July is slow as well. July 2016 revenue was double what 2017 will be, but comparison with 2016 isn't meaningful because we had US Olympic trials here in 2016, this year we dropped a 2-room guesthouse out of availability, and this July we closed one weekend for family.
Our 2017 May-July is 90% of 2015, a more normal year, so I'd say a little down. I mainly attribute this to market share loss to a significant increase in Air and high-end hotel construction over the last few years.

Like others this year seems slower, partly as the last couple of years were extra good years, new hotel in town this year and somewhat first year where booking is on computer and I have a better picture of the advance bookings and worry more.

Like others this year seems slower, partly as the last couple of years were extra good years, new hotel in town this year and somewhat first year where booking is on computer and I have a better picture of the advance bookings and worry more..
Do not worry. It is a waste of effort as worrying will change NOTHING.

People aren't going to be happy with me. We are at 95% capacity for July. August is at 90% including a cancellation I just got today and that's with time left over. June was at 97%... I've never had that in June.

But I also have at least two rooms that have exceed occupancy (cancellation fees), which helps. Yes... 110% occupancy does exist.

But honestly, we were expecting a good year, the city is celebrating and the country is celebrating and well... a lot of foreigners visiting.

People aren't going to be happy with me. We are at 95% capacity for July. August is at 90% including a cancellation I just got today and that's with time left over. June was at 97%... I've never had that in June.

But I also have at least two rooms that have exceed occupancy (cancellation fees), which helps. Yes... 110% occupancy does exist.

But honestly, we were expecting a good year, the city is celebrating and the country is celebrating and well... a lot of foreigners visiting..
Well, actually I'm happy for you. That's excellent. Guess we just need a more appealing country. Sigh.

But honestly, we were expecting a good year, the city is celebrating and the country is celebrating and well... a lot of foreigners visiting..
Congrats. Being in a big city makes a difference and I am happy for you. I am willing to live on less so I do not have to be in a big city. Been there - happy to be back in the boondocks. I wish you to be as busy as you want/need to be.

Congrats. Being in a big city makes a difference and I am happy for you. I am willing to live on less so I do not have to be in a big city. Been there - happy to be back in the boondocks. I wish you to be as busy as you want/need to be.
I'm a city boy.... milk comes from a supermarket. I've heard rumours about these things called cows and milk, but haven't really seen the connection :)

I'm a city boy.... milk comes from a supermarket. I've heard rumours about these things called cows and milk, but haven't really seen the connection :)
Generic said:
You need to come and visit us! If you live where we do, you definitely know where your milk, cheese and dairy products come from. Especially ice cream

Generic said:
You need to come and visit us! If you live where we do, you definitely know where your milk, cheese and dairy products come from. Especially ice cream
Ice cream comes from supermarkets and ice cream stores. Everyone knows that.
Beef and chicken are grown in factories.
Water comes from taps.

thumbs_up.gif
Glad you are busy. We still getting last minute bookings. So far August looks more promising. The 150 celebration did not rub off on us so far.

thumbs_up.gif
Glad you are busy. We still getting last minute bookings. So far August looks more promising. The 150 celebration did not rub off on us so far.
August for me is usually Europeans, mostly from France. The guest from the south are usually too late to get rooms in August... the Europeans fill my rooms first.

Generic said:
Water comes from taps.
Generic said:
Water comes from taps.
....and those fancy cookies with hats comes from the bakery down the street?
shades_smile.gif

They were so awesome! Thanks to Innkeep for sharing with me.

Generic said:
Plenty of cows where BD lives, but the actual ice cream and cheese come from a factory of size and modernity that would put a Japanese auto maker to shame ... and has hundreds of tour buses visiting

Well, that was one of the busiest months we've ever had, 1 empty room in the whole of July (same in June).
Normally come close to that in August, but not the rest of the year.

Well, that was one of the busiest months we've ever had, 1 empty room in the whole of July (same in June).
Normally come close to that in August, but not the rest of the year..
Good job! We had 6 empty rooms in July. Pretty darned busy!

You can put us in the summer slump category. had a great May/June/July last year with a Porche event in the area. Room sales are down 25% from that year, but still down 15% from the year before.
While Airs may be a small factor, we're just not seeing anywhere near the number of vacationers in the area we're used to. I would echo the Canadian info - so many including our past guests have been convinced America no longer welcomes them, so they're spending their C$'s at home.

Back