Day off in July

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can put us in the summer slump category. had a great May/June/July last year with a Porche event in the area. Room sales are down 25% from that year, but still down 15% from the year before.
While Airs may be a small factor, we're just not seeing anywhere near the number of vacationers in the area we're used to. I would echo the Canadian info - so many including our past guests have been convinced America no longer welcomes them, so they're spending their C$'s at home..
Just heard that over the breakfast table this morning. Plus, 'it doesn't feel safe in the US.'
These folks are long time guests. They usually spend more time with us, but it's also too expensive here for them.
What's really important tho, is they don't see individual Americans as bad, so they do feel safe staying with us and talking with us. And inviting us to come and visit them.

You can put us in the summer slump category. had a great May/June/July last year with a Porche event in the area. Room sales are down 25% from that year, but still down 15% from the year before.
While Airs may be a small factor, we're just not seeing anywhere near the number of vacationers in the area we're used to. I would echo the Canadian info - so many including our past guests have been convinced America no longer welcomes them, so they're spending their C$'s at home..
Just heard that over the breakfast table this morning. Plus, 'it doesn't feel safe in the US.'
These folks are long time guests. They usually spend more time with us, but it's also too expensive here for them.
What's really important tho, is they don't see individual Americans as bad, so they do feel safe staying with us and talking with us. And inviting us to come and visit them.
And I swear that the political climate has driven a wedge between the southerners and northerners within the country. We usually see a lot more southerners escaping the summer heat and humidity...this year, not so much. We have our first two couples from NC for the season, arrived yesterday because of a wedding in the area. I get the feeling that they came together for security....will be interesting to see if they are relaxed after their 5-night stay with us.

And I swear that the political climate has driven a wedge between the southerners and northerners within the country. We usually see a lot more southerners escaping the summer heat and humidity...this year, not so much. We have our first two couples from NC for the season, arrived yesterday because of a wedding in the area. I get the feeling that they came together for security....will be interesting to see if they are relaxed after their 5-night stay with us.
Silverspoon said:
We have our first two couples from NC for the season, arrived yesterday because of a wedding in the area. I get the feeling that they came together for security
We seem to live in strange times today, but didn't seem as busy this year in NC either, well July caught up with last year barely, but June was behind, I think folks are just uneasy about what comes next, waiting for the other shoe to drop.
And just a comment, I love the tag line on your posts, so true, of course that comes from the guy sitting in the shade while Maxine works in the garden.

Well, that was one of the busiest months we've ever had, 1 empty room in the whole of July (same in June).
Normally come close to that in August, but not the rest of the year..
Good job! We had 6 empty rooms in July. Pretty darned busy!
Where are your guests from?
we seem to be seeing less UK folk but lots of people from abroad. No discernible pattern other than that.

So, just calculated. From May to July we are down 14% from last Year (best year ever); 12.1 % down from 2015. Either way, that's less than 15% given away to OTAs. And if this is the new reality, then we're personally working at a more comfortable pace and NOT having to deal with all the headaches involved with giving away control of business model and guests.

So, just calculated. From May to July we are down 14% from last Year (best year ever); 12.1 % down from 2015. Either way, that's less than 15% given away to OTAs. And if this is the new reality, then we're personally working at a more comfortable pace and NOT having to deal with all the headaches involved with giving away control of business model and guests.
Momma Smurf said:
And if this is the new reality, then we're personally working at a more comfortable pace and NOT having to deal with all the headaches involved with giving away control of business model and guests.
I'm not as efficient, haven't calculated the percentage, but share the same thoughts as we do everything ourselves and try to keep a reasonable cost for our guests. I don't want to work longer and harder for the same money just to say we had more visitors, more also equals more wear and tear on the property and us.

Momma Smurf said:
And if this is the new reality, then we're personally working at a more comfortable pace and NOT having to deal with all the headaches involved with giving away control of business model and guests.
I'm not as efficient, haven't calculated the percentage, but share the same thoughts as we do everything ourselves and try to keep a reasonable cost for our guests. I don't want to work longer and harder for the same money just to say we had more visitors, more also equals more wear and tear on the property and us.
Yup. We also do everything ourselves. Have been planning to retire in the next couple of years because the 155 days straight with 6 weeks of full occupancy has been taking its toll. If this is the new reality, we can easily stick it out even longer. Am in no hurry to leave this lovely house and area. This season has been a piece of cake. Even had time to go out for drives and see what the surrounding area looks like in the summer. Then we come back here and say Thank Goodness we don't take our vacations in the summer and avoid all the crowds, waiting, etc. Am constantly looking for the bright side!!

Well, that was one of the busiest months we've ever had, 1 empty room in the whole of July (same in June).
we seem to be seeing less UK folk but lots of people from abroad. No discernible pattern other than that.
more germans for us - taking advantage of the weak pound - questioned them that I hoped they didn't feel not welcome here - they said no felt fine so that's something

Silverspoon said:
That's not something I've picked up on, but I can be dense sometimes. The best thing people can do for themselves is to travel to realize we're all good people across the country, and the world.

Momma Smurf said:
A quick look shows we're off by 50% from last year. And that's a year I wasn't here a lot, so it was a down year anyway.

Momma Smurf said:
Yup. We also do everything ourselves. Have been planning to retire in the next couple of years because the 155 days straight with 6 weeks of full occupancy has been taking its toll. If this is the new reality, we can easily stick it out even longer. Am in no hurry to leave this lovely house and area. This season has been a piece of cake. Even had time to go out for drives and see what the surrounding area looks like in the summer. Then we come back here and say Thank Goodness we don't take our vacations in the summer and avoid all the crowds, waiting, etc. Am constantly looking for the bright side!!
Momma Smurf said:
the 155 days straight with 6 weeks of full occupancy has been taking its toll.
Good grief, I'm not surprised. 70 days straight and 4 weeks full is the most we've ever done and that nearly killed us (and we nearly killed each other).

more germans for us - taking advantage of the weak pound - questioned them that I hoped they didn't feel not welcome here - they said no felt fine so that's something
Jcam said:
Tis Good.
We're seeing people from all over, in the last week they've been from Finland, France, Italy, Australia, US, Denmark, Germany, Hong Kong. Only 1 lot of British. Canadians seem to have disappeared, lots last year, hardly any this.
Last year we were up 14% on previous best year, this year we're ahead of last. Last year started busy really from the start of May so that was 2 months before the pound dropped.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma, I can totally relate...We lived that 155 days straight for a couple of years, doing all the work ourselves. This summer, in the 4th year of gradually winding down, we have been able to relax. We operate at about 30% of where we were in 2013. We have resisted the OTAs, maintained our brand by not jumping in the big pool and racing to the bottom, and control every aspect of our business, including reservations. They will have to carry us out in a coffin because we hope to live out the rest of our days in this lovely home, with occasional returning guests to help carry the load.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma, I can totally relate...We lived that 155 days straight for a couple of years, doing all the work ourselves. This summer, in the 4th year of gradually winding down, we have been able to relax. We operate at about 30% of where we were in 2013. We have resisted the OTAs, maintained our brand by not jumping in the big pool and racing to the bottom, and control every aspect of our business, including reservations. They will have to carry us out in a coffin because we hope to live out the rest of our days in this lovely home, with occasional returning guests to help carry the load.
Well said Dear Silverspoon! We resist OTAs too and I will remain Mistress of MY Domain.

Momma Smurf said:
Silverspoon said:
We lived that 155 days straight for a couple of years, doing all the work ourselves.
Maybe a different way to see it, but perhaps we have been blessed by not being that busy on an extended basis, enough, but not too much, as Gillum says, busy as we want to be.
Silverspoon said:
They will have to carry us out in a coffin because we hope to live out the rest of our days in this lovely home.
For us home is a small 1960's motel building, not exactly an elegant home, but absorbing a few unneeded guest rooms gave us a large living area and I have a carport for my old Packard and a workshop to putter around in when there is time. My retirement plan is that daughter and husband moved next door, so hopefully we spend our remaining days here as well.

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
I have likely shared this before, but we close the inn for Sunday night through Thursday night twice a year. Once in June and once in September. That gives us the time for a couple days out of the house, some sleeping in and some 'us-time' to regroup for the busy season. Our house is pretty full from May through October, so days off count. We lose money, but we gain sanity. We also love the time in the house! We get to sit on our own front porch!

Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
I have likely shared this before, but we close the inn for Sunday night through Thursday night twice a year. Once in June and once in September. That gives us the time for a couple days out of the house, some sleeping in and some 'us-time' to regroup for the busy season. Our house is pretty full from May through October, so days off count. We lose money, but we gain sanity. We also love the time in the house! We get to sit on our own front porch!
TheBeachHouse said:
We started doing the same at the end of August. 3 days, mid week. It does help. The sanity thing is very important to us. Back at the beginning we had guests in the house everyday from mid May to the end of October. Too much for this introvert!
Even tho this summer is weird, we're still taking those days.

Silverspoon said:
That's not something I've picked up on, but I can be dense sometimes. The best thing people can do for themselves is to travel to realize we're all good people across the country, and the world.
The 3-day rule is working like a charm. Guests arrive all tense and uncertain, but after 3 days they become relaxed, grateful and start talking about coming back. They have stopped making (inappropriate) jokes about the very diverse town up the road from here, are getting curious about how we manage this place and about the "culture" differences, and are amazed that they got so lucky as to land in such a beautiful spot for their 5 night vacation. Whew! They booked on a recommendation of a friend of theirs who is a local here now and hosting a wedding for her son. So all is good!

Back