Day off?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachcomber

Reaction score
Aloha! I promise that I'll get to proper introductions later in the day. Short story: I've managed a 6-room "b&b" on the beach in Hawaii for almost a year. I quote b&b since it's a self-service breakfast that we stock and we also have a cleaning staff to help with both room changes and general cleaning. So, my duties are somewhat different than a traditional b&b innkeeper.
A week ago, someone asked when the last time I had spent 24 hours not working, whether shopping, paperwork, reservations, updating webpages, laundry, assisting guests, etc.
My tongue-in-cheek response was that I couldn't remember the last time I had spent *12* hours away from the grind.
So, what constitutes a day off? All of my previous jobs had somewhat regularly scheduled days off. How do we schedule time for ourselves?

Welcome...let us know more about you. As you take some time, read other postings on this site. YOu'll see how others manage and many times..not manage to take time off. But..it is something you HAVE TO DO for your own sanity. This was something I did in my previous life and vowed I would have time for myself when I was an innkeeper as well. Fortunately, ours was a small 3 room place so we were not always busy and we thank the Lord, we did not need to depend on the income for our sustenance.
I blocked off every Monday and took the day off. We tried to go out to eat or visit nearby tourist spots etc. Or did nothing. But always took a day off.

Welcome!
To have a real day off you need 2 nights of no guests. That will give you 1 entire day where you don't need to cook and clean.
Last week I ran away...not a real day off, but got our 'assistant' to take over during breakfast and didn't come back until the next day. Sometimes it's really tough to make time for yourself, but take it when you can get it.
Since Hawaii has beautiful weather all year, do you have a time when it slows down for you?

Welcome!
To have a real day off you need 2 nights of no guests. That will give you 1 entire day where you don't need to cook and clean.
Last week I ran away...not a real day off, but got our 'assistant' to take over during breakfast and didn't come back until the next day. Sometimes it's really tough to make time for yourself, but take it when you can get it.
Since Hawaii has beautiful weather all year, do you have a time when it slows down for you?.
No. :) But again, we don't actually cook breakfasts or clean the bedrooms ourselves, which is admittedly VERY helpful for our sanity.
6 rooms... this past February, we sold out. January had 10 vacant room-nights. March had 12.
We have had two days in 11 months with just one room full, but there's never complete vacancy.
Our best shot at "days off" have been when the entire house gets rented out by a single group. Then we'll pack up the truck and go camping or play "tourist" in a different part of the island. That happened last week.

Time off... being able to run around the house in my underwear. Day off... not having to get up, but when I do, underwear all day long!

Welcome!
Since Hawaii has beautiful weather all year, do you have a time when it slows down for you?.
No. :) But again, we don't actually cook breakfasts or clean the bedrooms ourselves, which is admittedly VERY helpful for our sanity.
6 rooms... this past February, we sold out. January had 10 vacant room-nights. March had 12.
We have had two days in 11 months with just one room full, but there's never complete vacancy.
Our best shot at "days off" have been when the entire house gets rented out by a single group. Then we'll pack up the truck and go camping or play "tourist" in a different part of the island. That happened last week.
Can't you get your help to take care of things for a day or two??

Welcome!
I think we're going to have to start doing that. There have been a ton of large projects needing attention since we started, most of which we initiated ourselves after getting hired, but we've been pushing the agenda heavily so that we can turn our "funky" beach house into a really amazing beach house.
I guess I just need to figure out how to prioritize these days off. I still sometimes feel guilty for not taking advantage of slow(er) days.

My day off is when I go to Denver shopping, Sams Club, Home Depot, Restaurant Source, Tundra etc.

Welcome!
I think we're going to have to start doing that. There have been a ton of large projects needing attention since we started, most of which we initiated ourselves after getting hired, but we've been pushing the agenda heavily so that we can turn our "funky" beach house into a really amazing beach house.
I guess I just need to figure out how to prioritize these days off. I still sometimes feel guilty for not taking advantage of slow(er) days.
If you are employees, then you definitely need to make arrangements for time off! Most of us here do this 24/7 because it's our baby. I would NEVER expect an employee to put in the hours I do.
Don't feel guilty. Take some time off or you will burn out.

Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!

Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!.
Madeleine said:
Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!
We did that on Sunday. After everyone checked out, we stripped beds, started laundry and went for a walk. ended up at a restaurant for lunch (with beers!) and walking the beach picking up seaglass. A very nice afternoon. But, of course, that is only possible because it's Fall and we only have guests on the weekends. (We have been here 3 weeks and are looking at our 3rd full house!)

Day away - we ran out the door at noon today and had a great day away! Went to a local attraction and then had late lunch at a 'world famous' dive. VERY good day away!.
Madeleine said:
We did that on Sunday. After everyone checked out, we stripped beds, started laundry and went for a walk. ended up at a restaurant for lunch (with beers!) and walking the beach picking up seaglass. A very nice afternoon. But, of course, that is only possible because it's Fall and we only have guests on the weekends. (We have been here 3 weeks and are looking at our 3rd full house!)
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I'm going to offer a suggestion, take it or leave it...never leave the inn 'undone'. You may be experiencing weekends only right now but you might be surprised by a vanful of guests showing up wanting rooms. Be prepared! We've had a lot of days with no one on the books and find we've filled 5 rooms by 3 PM.
Plus, we always hate coming back to a mess or waking up to it in the morning.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I'm going to offer a suggestion, take it or leave it...never leave the inn 'undone'. You may be experiencing weekends only right now but you might be surprised by a vanful of guests showing up wanting rooms. Be prepared! We've had a lot of days with no one on the books and find we've filled 5 rooms by 3 PM.
I hear you and I hear good advice. Thanks. :)
We are still moving in at this point. We look forward to having a 'routine' some day! Right now the side yard is all dug up for a future koi pond, the porch is ripped off and the house is being held up by 2x6's until they rebuild the porch. (The columns were so rotten, the builder was able to crush them in his hand.) After that, we will be replacing all the first floor windows in the hopes that we won't freeze to death this winter with 100 year old windows.
It's actually pretty fun, but also pretty stressful. I feel like we've always been 'moving.' I think we needed a walk on the beach!

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
We have had this on more than one occasion and has trained me to make sure we have plenty of rooms ready ie
(1) group of 7 Dutch people on a motorcycle tour just turned up, we were able to accommodate the group and it was a nice piece of business
(2) it was a sunday and I had said like a twit to the chamber maid as its starting to snow just do half the rooms and head of home (she comes on the bus) - however all the people at the conference which were supposed to be leaving that afternoon got stranded in the snow and I was literally making up rooms as people turned up at the door - ended up from 4 rooms sold to 12
(3) I picked up 3 rooms online in one day plus 3 more from my neighbour who's boiler had just decided to pack up and during very cold weather as well - so there Is me driving round to her's with a car full of fan heaters for the guests already in - luckily just as we got them handed out the 3 ladies to be booked out arrived on foot, so I could walk them round to mine and it was all sorted
and these are just the examples I can think of off the top of my head! believe me when you leave stuff cos you think its going to be quiet its like some sort of bell goes off!

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
You are so right! Murphy strikes any time we leave the place undone. It's always bitten us in the butt. IF we have to/decide to leave without all the rooms ready, we only leave the least popular ones undone.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
We are still moving in at this point. We look forward to having a 'routine' some day! Right now the side yard is all dug up for a future koi pond, the porch is ripped off and the house is being held up by 2x6's until they rebuild the porch. (The columns were so rotten, the builder was able to crush them in his hand.) After that, we will be replacing all the first floor windows in the hopes that we won't freeze to death this winter with 100 year old windows.
It's actually pretty fun, but also pretty stressful. I feel like we've always been 'moving.' I think we needed a walk on the beach!
You definitely NEEDED the walk on the beach. The advice is to the timing of the walk. I try to never leave with the beds not made. That makes it look better even to me. I can whip through the cleaning quickly if the bed is made. It is getting to time to get the pillowcases ironed again. UGH!

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
You definitely NEEDED the walk on the beach. The advice is to the timing of the walk. I try to never leave with the beds not made. That makes it look better even to me. I can whip through the cleaning quickly if the bed is made. It is getting to time to get the pillowcases ironed again. UGH!
We do the same thing as Gillum. As long as the bed is made, you can scream through the rest if needed.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
Eek! I guess I missed all that renovation work going on!
Yes, you definitely need to get away from that.
When we first started we were dragging butt and still cleaning at 3 PM. It was HARD work those first few months.

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
When we first started we were dragging butt and still cleaning at 3 PM. It was HARD work those first few months.
It takes my husband all week to get the 6 rooms back to rentable. :)
I have a job outside the home. I do breakfast on the weekends and help strip and launder the beds. He will get better and faster, but he's also busy with contractors and setting up the website and arguing with the internet company and still unpacking a bit. By next summer, we'll have a well oiled machine going.....at least that's the plan.
wink_smile.gif

Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Madeleine said:
I have a job outside the home. I do breakfast on the weekends and help strip and launder the beds. He will get better and faster, but he's also busy with contractors and setting up the website and arguing with the internet company and still unpacking a bit. By next summer, we'll have a well oiled machine going.....at least that's the plan.
wink_smile.gif

TheBeachHouse said:
wink_smile.gif
A plan is necessary! :)

Back