Daylight Savings is this Sunday!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Daylight Savings is this Sunday!
cheers.gif

Was reminded of this on another forum, too. Yeah, I prefer Daylight savings time, just hate the first few days after 'loosing the hour'. Another sign that Spring is here!!!

In ten years I have been late making breakfast once. A few years back they changed the date of savings time by about 2 weeks. My "auto change at daylight savings time alarm clock" was not told this. I entered the kitchen one hour late and could see about 20 people in the eating area. I took my 2 egg casseroles out of the fridge and dumped them into frying pans for a makeshift stir fry.
Thanks for the heads up.

In ten years I have been late making breakfast once. A few years back they changed the date of savings time by about 2 weeks. My "auto change at daylight savings time alarm clock" was not told this. I entered the kitchen one hour late and could see about 20 people in the eating area. I took my 2 egg casseroles out of the fridge and dumped them into frying pans for a makeshift stir fry.
Thanks for the heads up..
I misread the calendar one year and changed all the clocks for the EUROPEAN time change (a week before).

I printed this out with header SPRING FORWARD TOMORROW (for our guests)
in case anyone would like some trivia to print out:
Bring on the warm sun, the fragrant flowers and the chirping birds, it is time for everything to renew. I want to go outside and dance in the front yard like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music. I am so ready for everything to go green.

Daylight Saving Time originates because Benjamin Franklin, the king of inventions, realized that it saved on candles to implement a change in time to save daylight. He coined the phrase, “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” Then in modern times, G.V. Hudson, an astronomer, proposed using Daylight Saving Time in 1895.

Its time for the first ritual of spring, time to change the clocks or better known as Daylight Saving Time. If you cannot remember which direction the clock goes, remember this saying, “Spring forward, fall back”. On Sunday, March 14, 2010, at 2 a.m. eastern standard time we will spring forward. Time to move our clocks forward one hour. Unfortunately that means we lose an hour sleep. However, I am ready to enjoy this warmer weather and don’t mind one bit.

Daylight Saving Time means:

1. Warm weather, which means less electricity usage.
2. Time moving forward means more light in the evening to enjoy.
3. Time to change the batteries in the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector.
4. Time to spring clean the house and till the garden. It is time to get seedlings tucked into soil!
5. The biggest thing about Daylight Savings Time is winter is O-V-E-R!

I printed this out with header SPRING FORWARD TOMORROW (for our guests)
in case anyone would like some trivia to print out:
Bring on the warm sun, the fragrant flowers and the chirping birds, it is time for everything to renew. I want to go outside and dance in the front yard like Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music. I am so ready for everything to go green.

Daylight Saving Time originates because Benjamin Franklin, the king of inventions, realized that it saved on candles to implement a change in time to save daylight. He coined the phrase, “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” Then in modern times, G.V. Hudson, an astronomer, proposed using Daylight Saving Time in 1895.

Its time for the first ritual of spring, time to change the clocks or better known as Daylight Saving Time. If you cannot remember which direction the clock goes, remember this saying, “Spring forward, fall back”. On Sunday, March 14, 2010, at 2 a.m. eastern standard time we will spring forward. Time to move our clocks forward one hour. Unfortunately that means we lose an hour sleep. However, I am ready to enjoy this warmer weather and don’t mind one bit.

Daylight Saving Time means:

1. Warm weather, which means less electricity usage.
2. Time moving forward means more light in the evening to enjoy.
3. Time to change the batteries in the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector.
4. Time to spring clean the house and till the garden. It is time to get seedlings tucked into soil!
5. The biggest thing about Daylight Savings Time is winter is O-V-E-R! .
That is SO thoughtful! I hope your guests appreciate it! I know that I would. :)

Actually they don't, they want breakfast delivered at 8am, which means really 7am which means up at 530am. boo hoo thought I would have a reprieve. That means they check out early though. :)

Actually we are planning an outing. No NASCAR tomorrow (that would be my nap). :)
Tomorrow, March 14, 1912 was the worst courthouse massacre in history and biggest man hunt that went on for 6 months.
We are actually driving to that courthouse as they are having a special presentation with hundreds of photos from the day and historians speak. One who authored a book on the subject. It dominated the news in this country and overseas for months in 1912.
Why? Well we (the fam) are reading a book called "The Man who moved a mountain" about Bob Childress in these mountains which starts out saying "In these mountains we were the poorest of the poor"... and he was there that day this clan opened fire and shot the judge and others in this courtroom. There is much more to the story of course, shoot outs from craggy crevices of rock ledges and all that.
So...that is what I hope to do tomorrow. It is an hour and a half drive and I have never been to that town or county before and live right here. So it is a day trip to see some sights not far from us.

Actually we are planning an outing. No NASCAR tomorrow (that would be my nap). :)
Tomorrow, March 14, 1912 was the worst courthouse massacre in history and biggest man hunt that went on for 6 months.
We are actually driving to that courthouse as they are having a special presentation with hundreds of photos from the day and historians speak. One who authored a book on the subject. It dominated the news in this country and overseas for months in 1912.
Why? Well we (the fam) are reading a book called "The Man who moved a mountain" about Bob Childress in these mountains which starts out saying "In these mountains we were the poorest of the poor"... and he was there that day this clan opened fire and shot the judge and others in this courtroom. There is much more to the story of course, shoot outs from craggy crevices of rock ledges and all that.
So...that is what I hope to do tomorrow. It is an hour and a half drive and I have never been to that town or county before and live right here. So it is a day trip to see some sights not far from us..
Hope it doesn't rain on you...we are getting a bit more today. Thanks for the link ...this looks like a very interesting site. I too hope one day to get to this town...have always wanted to but ...you know how that goes.

As of right now it is gorgeous out there. The Crocus are happy with the overnight drizzle and we shall see what happens later today. Speaking of clans and such...
Had locals here last night for an anniv who wanted super early coffee, super early breakfast, they were out the door by 8am. No "this was lovely" or thank you or anything. This is the mountain culture here - they are very tight lipped, not allowed to act like they have fun, oh no! So they may have really liked it but would never say as much. The other couple from Nashville are enjoying every minute, she is from down under orig, and we just sent them off with a baggie of big pecan brownies for their outing today.
Yep, there are B&B guests and there are those who stay at B&B's for a special occasion. I said to DH it is so typical for locals to "not be able to enjoy anything." We rarely get them and when we do - I actually try to make it extra nice cuz I know they will tell their friends/coworkers/relatives.
confused_smile.gif

So...that is what I hope to do tomorrow. It is an hour and a half drive and I have never been to that town or county before and live right here. So it is a day trip to see some sights not far from us..
Hope it doesn't rain on you...we are getting a bit more today. Thanks for the link ...this looks like a very interesting site. I too hope one day to get to this town...have always wanted to but ...you know how that goes.
catlady said:
PS CL get on down here and stay with us. You are more than welcome any time.
regular_smile.gif

As of right now it is gorgeous out there. The Crocus are happy with the overnight drizzle and we shall see what happens later today. Speaking of clans and such...
Had locals here last night for an anniv who wanted super early coffee, super early breakfast, they were out the door by 8am. No "this was lovely" or thank you or anything. This is the mountain culture here - they are very tight lipped, not allowed to act like they have fun, oh no! So they may have really liked it but would never say as much. The other couple from Nashville are enjoying every minute, she is from down under orig, and we just sent them off with a baggie of big pecan brownies for their outing today.
Yep, there are B&B guests and there are those who stay at B&B's for a special occasion. I said to DH it is so typical for locals to "not be able to enjoy anything." We rarely get them and when we do - I actually try to make it extra nice cuz I know they will tell their friends/coworkers/relatives.
confused_smile.gif
When we get the 'real' (older) Mainers here (as compared with the imported version, like myself) it's the same thing. We served a frittata once and the old guy said to me, 'And what is that?' I explained it, he ate it but he wrote in our guest book, 'They served some strange thing for breakfast, but I ate it. They were nice people and gave good directions.'

Actually they don't, they want breakfast delivered at 8am, which means really 7am which means up at 530am. boo hoo thought I would have a reprieve. That means they check out early though. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
Actually they don't, they want breakfast delivered at 8am, which means really 7am which means up at 530am. boo hoo thought I would have a reprieve. That means they check out early though. :)
I told dh I'd remind the guests about time change when they checked in. Well, I forgot with one of them. And sure enough, that guest wanted 7:30 breakfast (which means the clock went off at 6:15, which was 5:15) forgot and came down at 8:30. So instead of making two breakfasts this morning I made three.
Ugh. And kicking myself hasn't helped. At least the guest was appreciative and sweet and likely to return.
=/
Kk.

Actually they don't, they want breakfast delivered at 8am, which means really 7am which means up at 530am. boo hoo thought I would have a reprieve. That means they check out early though. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
I told dh I'd remind the guests about time change when they checked in. Well, I forgot with one of them. And sure enough, that guest wanted 7:30 breakfast (which means the clock went off at 6:15, which was 5:15) forgot and came down at 8:30. So instead of making two breakfasts this morning I made three.
Ugh. And kicking myself hasn't helped. At least the guest was appreciative and sweet and likely to return.
=/
Kk.
Fortunately my guest did remember - fortunately since I did not see her again last night to remind her. I changed MY alarm clock and set it for the correct time before I went to Chapel so, new time it is 1:30 when I get home and the alarm is set for (new time) 6. DH comes to bed and although I told him good night, I am alseep he continues chattering until I do not know when.
IF the alarm went off, I did not hear it. I heard the shower above me at 7 - breakfast was at 8! I got everything done in an hour except the muffins - no muffins this morning. A personal best! (I even had to set the table this morning.)

Back