Dead computer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This is getting to be MY sob story. I've killed another Dell laptop. I think this one may no longer be under warranty. If anyone would car to offer advice, I'm open to try repairing it myself. Here's the deal...
Last week the left side of the monitor started getting a little wavy. This week it was a full out flicker across the whole monitor. Yesterday the screen went black. It will come back on randomly, work for a little bit and then go black again.
I read up on some forums and tried working just off the battery (which is newish...maybe 3 weeks old at this point) and that worked yesterday, but not today.
So I'm just on the external monitor now and it's hideously ugly. It's a boat anchor size. I'll use it until I figure out if this is the video card (which makes sense) or the monitor (which doesn't make sense because the screen randomly lights up and everything is there).
Help appreciated!
I am not at the point of buying a new computer. When I am, I would take suggestions on that as well!

Sorry, wish I could help you but I don't have a clue. Although, if the computer is working with the external monitor...it may be a video card..
Why is it so ugly on an external monitor? Can't you go into the Control Panel/ settings and readjust the size and other settings???

Sorry, wish I could help you but I don't have a clue. Although, if the computer is working with the external monitor...it may be a video card..
Why is it so ugly on an external monitor? Can't you go into the Control Panel/ settings and readjust the size and other settings???.
I could make adjustments, but then when the laptop display comes back on it's ugly. So, I'm going to do some research first then tweak the display.

Why is it so ugly on an external monitor? Can't you go into the Control Panel/ settings and readjust the size and other settings???.
I could make adjustments, but then when the laptop display comes back on it's ugly. So, I'm going to do some research first then tweak the display.
But I thought you said the laptop was black??? If it comes back, or you figure it out, you can always reset the display settings:)

Sounds to me like the backlight on the LCD is going. Still probably not a cheap fix. Not sure if they can replace the backlight separate from the LCD layer or not.

Sounds to me like the backlight on the LCD is going. Still probably not a cheap fix. Not sure if they can replace the backlight separate from the LCD layer or not..
uh oh...certainly not a "do it yourself" project even if it could be fixed. I think I would start shopping for a new computer. I think I saw Big Lots had a Gateway laptop for $499 ...
cry_smile.gif

Computers are, unfortunately, a disposable commodity and are obsolete within months of their purchase. Bite the bullet and get the new technology then write it off.

bree, this won't help if that computer is on the way out. and this is a recurrent problem.
disclaimer: i'm not a teckie ~ just a person who uses a laptop A LOT
do you find that your laptop runs hot?
i definitely suggest you get a laptop cooling pad. they sell for around $20 and up ... depending on what you like. there is a lot of info online about extending the life of your laptop. if you have to buy a new laptop. how much would the extended warranty be? i'd evaluate the options if i were you.
i'm sure you know to keep it clean (which is hard when you use it all the time) i let my nephew use my laptop a couple days ago. he sat there watching a dvd. happy as could be. i told him, no drinks at the computer. fine. but he was eating mini chocolate chip cookies and got crumbs under the keys. so today i have little tiny ants appearing. and i'm out of air spray!

Sounds to me like the backlight on the LCD is going. Still probably not a cheap fix. Not sure if they can replace the backlight separate from the LCD layer or not..
The backlight went on the last one. It was an $800 fix so I got a new computer instead. I think the 'test' for the backlight problem is to shine a flashlight at the display. If you can see anything, then it's the backlight. I can't see a thing.
When it does come back on briefly it's an awful pinky color.

The backlight went on the last one. It was an $800 fix so I got a new computer instead. I think the 'test' for the backlight problem is to shine a flashlight at the display. If you can see anything, then it's the backlight. I can't see a thing.
When it does come back on briefly it's an awful pinky color.
You can buy a nice laptop for $800 these days. Everyone is having back to school sales.

Computers are, unfortunately, a disposable commodity and are obsolete within months of their purchase. Bite the bullet and get the new technology then write it off..
I'm not sure how many I can write off every year! This will be the second one I've replaced in 5 years. Plus we bought a new travel laptop and a new office computer within the last year. This isn't really the kind of biz that 'needs' that much computing power.
Altho, I could just buy it for myself and not for the biz.

bree, this won't help if that computer is on the way out. and this is a recurrent problem.
i definitely suggest you get a laptop cooling pad. they sell for around $20 and up ... depending on what you like. there is a lot of info online about extending the life of your laptop. if you have to buy a new laptop. how much would the extended warranty be? i'd evaluate the options if i were you.
i'm sure you know to keep it clean (which is hard when you use it all the time) i let my nephew use my laptop a couple days ago. he sat there watching a dvd. happy as could be. i told him, no drinks at the computer. fine. but he was eating mini chocolate chip cookies and got crumbs under the keys. so today i have little tiny ants appearing. and i'm out of air spray!.
It was running hot because the battery was dying. After the battery was replaced, I also elevated it for more airflow underneath and the fan stopped running all the time. That was a month ago.

Computers are, unfortunately, a disposable commodity and are obsolete within months of their purchase. Bite the bullet and get the new technology then write it off..
I'm not sure how many I can write off every year! This will be the second one I've replaced in 5 years. Plus we bought a new travel laptop and a new office computer within the last year. This isn't really the kind of biz that 'needs' that much computing power.
I don't think there is a limit. If you need one ...you need one. I just read pink screen is usually an indication of bad video card. So if you have a "travel" laptop..can't you just switch over to using it instead of the one on the blink?

I don't think there is a limit. If you need one ...you need one. I just read pink screen is usually an indication of bad video card. So if you have a "travel" laptop..can't you just switch over to using it instead of the one on the blink?
catlady said:
Wow, thanks. I hadn't seen that. I am waiting until tomorrow or Tues, when it's a little slower to do anything with this. I hate to be in the middle of it and then wham-o the doorbell is rining.
The odd thing about it all is, I just started using the laptop battery all the time. I've been wandering around with the laptop sitting outside on nice days. So I'm hoping that isn't the issue.
The one on the blink is the one with all the 'info' on it. When I use the travel laptop I have to read mail online (a pain) and I can't work on the website. Ditto pain.

catlady said:
Wow, thanks. I hadn't seen that. I am waiting until tomorrow or Tues, when it's a little slower to do anything with this. I hate to be in the middle of it and then wham-o the doorbell is rining.
The odd thing about it all is, I just started using the laptop battery all the time. I've been wandering around with the laptop sitting outside on nice days. So I'm hoping that isn't the issue.
The one on the blink is the one with all the 'info' on it. When I use the travel laptop I have to read mail online (a pain) and I can't work on the website. Ditto pain.
So..you do have EVERYTHING backed up..somewhere...don't you? I don't want this to be you....
cry_smile.gif

catlady said:
So..you do have EVERYTHING backed up..somewhere...don't you? I don't want this to be you....
cry_smile.gif

Last week when it started flickering I said to self, 'Self, back up everything.' I didn't.
Before I take it in for service I will.

catlady said:
cry_smile.gif

Last week when it started flickering I said to self, 'Self, back up everything.' I didn't.
Before I take it in for service I will.
I wouldn't wait if I were you..

We've had nothing but problems from DELL and would never buy another one. I know that doesn't help and I feel really bad for you right now, but if you are thinking of replacing it you might want to consider another company.

i'm sure you know to keep it clean (which is hard when you use it all the time) i let my nephew use my laptop a couple days ago. he sat there watching a dvd. happy as could be. i told him, no drinks at the computer. fine. but he was eating mini chocolate chip cookies and got crumbs under the keys. so today i have little tiny ants appearing. and i'm out of air spray!.
It was running hot because the battery was dying. After the battery was replaced, I also elevated it for more airflow underneath and the fan stopped running all the time. That was a month ago.
Lots of deals on all kinds of computers now because the school year's getting ready to start. Listen, it's not like I have any love lost for Dell as they laid off my dh 7 yrs ago right before some significant benies kicked in & as he headed to retirement. But, we've had good luck with their systems. With ANY laptop nowadays, you need to bite the bullet and buy the EXTENDED warranty. It is well worth it. Dell worked on fixing my son's last laptop and couldn't - he ended up with a new computer from them under the extended warranty.
You'll hear people complain about other brands too.
Just spent the afternoon looking at laptops in all the local stores (tax free weekend on computers and other stuff)...I'm going online to build the system I want from Dell. Just my 2 cents....

Our problem was similar. We purchased new Dell laptops for two of our children last September before they returned to college. Both computers died within 2 months. It took Dell over 6 weeks to get them repaired or replaced. Meanwhile our children were without computers. Talk about a PITA!!! Then our daughter's died AGAIN when she was in Italy for a semester. It was a nightmare trying to get it fixed. Our oldest son switched to Apple and loves it. I've heard good things about Lenovo.

Back