Dead washer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
At least I got thru all the sheets before it died. Doesn't bode well for the weekend, tho.
Any suggestions on a good front loading, stackable washer/dryer set?

sorry, no suggestions ...
but OUCH!
sad_smile.gif

what is it with appliances? our dishwasher (2 years old just out of warranty and no i didn't buy the extended warranty) suddenly has major issues and is limping along. had the repair 'man' out and he said he had to order a part that was so $$ that i might be better off buying a new d/w. i don't think so, what with the installation and all. waiting for his call .... still ....

but OUCH!
sad_smile.gif

what is it with appliances? our dishwasher (2 years old just out of warranty and no i didn't buy the extended warranty) suddenly has major issues and is limping along. had the repair 'man' out and he said he had to order a part that was so $$ that i might be better off buying a new d/w. i don't think so, what with the installation and all. waiting for his call .... still .....
We were in the thick of things when you called, which is why hubs couldn't think where you lived to give directions. He has a terrific case of tunnel vision when he's working on a problem. So, 3 hours of unstacking and restacking the washer & dryer and not 'doing' anything and it's working. We're still going to look for a new set probably this weekend. Friday is looking quiet after breakfast so I guess that's the plan.
Luckily we have the second washer/dryer in the cellar so he hauled the sopping wet clothes down there and I ran them thru the spin cycle on that washer and got everything done a few minutes ago.

but OUCH!
sad_smile.gif

what is it with appliances? our dishwasher (2 years old just out of warranty and no i didn't buy the extended warranty) suddenly has major issues and is limping along. had the repair 'man' out and he said he had to order a part that was so $$ that i might be better off buying a new d/w. i don't think so, what with the installation and all. waiting for his call .... still .....
We were in the thick of things when you called, which is why hubs couldn't think where you lived to give directions. He has a terrific case of tunnel vision when he's working on a problem. So, 3 hours of unstacking and restacking the washer & dryer and not 'doing' anything and it's working. We're still going to look for a new set probably this weekend. Friday is looking quiet after breakfast so I guess that's the plan.
Luckily we have the second washer/dryer in the cellar so he hauled the sopping wet clothes down there and I ran them thru the spin cycle on that washer and got everything done a few minutes ago.
Glad to hear that you're back on line with the washer. Don't have a clue about a stacking model.
I think we're going to have our stove repaired tomorrow. At least the guy is coming out with the part sometime between 10 & 11!

How about capacity? Anyone know what capacity their washer is and how that relates to how many sheet sets fit in there? The ones we are looking at range from 3.8-4.2 cf but I don't know how that relates to sheet sets. (I would if I knew what capacity my old washer is!)

I would love a Bosch or Fisher Paykel (sp?). The quiet is the reason. My laundry room is audible to 2 guest rooms with all the doors closed.

Oh, I do!!! I just installed a Bosch washer and dryer. Stacking unit. Front loading washer and dryer with heavy thick glass "windows". They are very quiet. The washer spins so fast that the clothes are almost dry when I take them out which makes the dryer time short. I absolutely love them. They are the best washer/dryer I've ever had.
I got these for a couple of reason. One, I used to have a Bosch dishwasher back when I had a house. It was so quiet that I had to keep opening it while it was running, just to see if it was running. I finally got used to that.
Second, the Bosch Axxis series washer/dryer (compact one) was the only thing that would fit where I needed them to go. We have to lower them down through a hatch which was not fun. Even though they are compact, I can wash a full load of queen sheets, or mattress pads and a blanket. Had it not been for the restrictions in what would fit down the hatch, I would have gotten the larger Bosch model - Bosch Nexxt.
DSCF0923.JPG

Down%2520the%2520Hatch1.JPG

Down%2520the%2520Hatch2.JPG

Washer%2520to%2520the%2520Inside.JPG

It even has a pull out tray between the two units for folding or your laundry basket.
Dryer%2520being%2520attached.JPG

How about capacity? Anyone know what capacity their washer is and how that relates to how many sheet sets fit in there? The ones we are looking at range from 3.8-4.2 cf but I don't know how that relates to sheet sets. (I would if I knew what capacity my old washer is!).
We have a Maytag Neptune front loader (model 5500). Has a capacity of 3.34 cf . It can do three rooms worth of sheets in one load (3 queen sheet sets and 12 pillow cases). It can do 3 rooms worth of towels in one shot as well (6 large towels, 3 hand towels, 6 washcloths, and 3 bathmats)
We've had very good luck with them and are happy with them, but I know there are people who are not.

Whatever you get, don't get talked into the "condensation" (non-vented) dryer. They take forever to dry stuff. Many tried to convince me to go that route, being on a boat, since it would be "easier" to install. First, NOTHING is easy to install on a boat; however, that said, I will admit that the dryer vent to the outside is right in eye-line with the dryer vent...couldn't have been easier in terms of connecting the vent to the outside. Getting the machines over the railing (even at low tide) and down the hatch on a 90+ degree day...not so easy.
Those who did go the condensation route tell me it takes about 3 hours to dry towels. NO THANKS! Mine dry in about 20-25 minutes.
My Bosch compact washer is the 3.4 capacity. The standard size washer (Nexxt series) is 4.0.

How about capacity? Anyone know what capacity their washer is and how that relates to how many sheet sets fit in there? The ones we are looking at range from 3.8-4.2 cf but I don't know how that relates to sheet sets. (I would if I knew what capacity my old washer is!).
We have a Maytag Neptune front loader (model 5500). Has a capacity of 3.34 cf . It can do three rooms worth of sheets in one load (3 queen sheet sets and 12 pillow cases). It can do 3 rooms worth of towels in one shot as well (6 large towels, 3 hand towels, 6 washcloths, and 3 bathmats)
We've had very good luck with them and are happy with them, but I know there are people who are not.
swirt said:
What's the why not part? If I could get 3 rooms' worth of sheets in one washload, I'd be ecstatic! That would cut my loads by at least one per day.

swirt said:
What's the why not part? If I could get 3 rooms' worth of sheets in one washload, I'd be ecstatic! That would cut my loads by at least one per day.
Well my neigbor, bought a set based on our experience ... when they installed it, it was DOA. So they brought her another of the same kind. Installed that and within 2 days it was dead. So she had them bring her something different the next time around.
I also know if you go to www.epinions.com you see a lot of reviews where people were less than happy with the reliability. The model number we have is not available any more, not sure what the newest model number is. We've never had a problem with interior mold or odors that others report. Once in a while the fabric softener dispenser on top develops a little "life" of its own (mold) but it is no big deal to pull it out and wash it (maybe twice a year). We don't use any of the HE detergents or softeners, we just cut the amounts to 1/4 of what would normallly be used. Never had a problem with oversudsing or anything like that.
One of the things we liked about it is that even though it is a front loader, the drum is tipped a little bit so it is easier getting stuff in and out without feeling like you are reaching through a ship's port hole. They are both quite quiet (though I think the Bosch is quieter from what I have read). Our laundry room is just off our kitchen and if either are running I rarely hear them. The only noise that gives away that they are running is when the water shuts off our piples thump (not the washer's fault). I look around like I'm hearing weird noises and DW says, "I'm doing wash."

swirt said:
Well my neigbor, bought a set based on our experience ... when they installed it, it was DOA. So they brought her another of the same kind. Installed that and within 2 days it was dead. So she had them bring her something different the next time around.
I also know if you go to www.epinions.com you see a lot of reviews where people were less than happy with the reliability. The model number we have is not available any more, not sure what the newest model number is. We've never had a problem with interior mold or odors that others report. Once in a while the fabric softener dispenser on top develops a little "life" of its own (mold) but it is no big deal to pull it out and wash it (maybe twice a year). We don't use any of the HE detergents or softeners, we just cut the amounts to 1/4 of what would normallly be used. Never had a problem with oversudsing or anything like that.
One of the things we liked about it is that even though it is a front loader, the drum is tipped a little bit so it is easier getting stuff in and out without feeling like you are reaching through a ship's port hole. They are both quite quiet (though I think the Bosch is quieter from what I have read). Our laundry room is just off our kitchen and if either are running I rarely hear them. The only noise that gives away that they are running is when the water shuts off our piples thump (not the washer's fault). I look around like I'm hearing weird noises and DW says, "I'm doing wash."
My SIL has/had that model. I LOVED that it had the tipped drum! Given my washer was originally installed without a pedestal, bending over to yank stuff out usually meant that it was a good idea to wash the floor before I did laundry. I have had this set for about 10 years and I still hate its very existence.
We have to fit the stackable into a space once occupied by a shower so there are walls on 3 sides. (Yes, it was quite the show we put on last night trying to hook it all back up again.) Once stacked (which involves hubs working in a space about 12 inches bigger than the dryer itself), the whole unit has to be tipped forward (I do the holding) while hubs squeezes in between the wall and the unit to hook the vent up. THEN, he shoves the whole mess back into the space and climbs on top to whack the plug back into the outlet.
And, yes, had he tried to do this 4 months ago, I would probably have been using all the advice in the 'grieving innkeeper' thread. So, those stents are doing the job! Who needs a dr-administered stress test when you own a B&B!

Bree said:
Any suggestions on a good front loading, stackable washer/dryer set?
The Bosch are nice on boats because as with most european brands you can get compact sizes. That is what my folks have on their boat. However, you might want to check out Consumer Reports because I'm not sure how the Bosch and Fisher Paykel did in reliability and repairs. My recollection is they didn't do super well. We have a Whirlpool Duet front loader washer and dryer (stackable if you like), fairly high capacity. Washer is 6 years old or so and doing fine and dryer is maybe 4-5 years old and going strong. Good luck.

Back