Deal of the Day - Ever Bought For Guests?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Lately there have been a few "Deal of the day" offers that have been interesting enough that we thought that guests might like to use them. And we were wondering if anyone has ever done that. Or even if we should do it. Either buy it outselves and then offer it to them as cost, or send the guests a link to the deal if they are interested and it's interesting during their stay?
So, has anyone ever done it? Worked out?

I have given many restaurant.com certificates to guests - I was able to buy them for $2 and they were very appreciative to get $25 off their meal. I always thought maybe it would get me a bigger tip in the room, but no such luck!

What a great idea! As long as there are no strings attached (must show ID and it has to match the buyer's name, minimum purchase, that sort of thing).
OTOH, I have seen some nasty comments by restaurant servers in re any kind of 'deal' coupon. The diner doesn't get the standard menu, they do get the bum's rush out the door, no attention to service and the diner tips on the $10 they spent instead of the $50 the coupon was worth.
It might work for some of the 'things to do' in the area, tho.

What a great idea! As long as there are no strings attached (must show ID and it has to match the buyer's name, minimum purchase, that sort of thing).
OTOH, I have seen some nasty comments by restaurant servers in re any kind of 'deal' coupon. The diner doesn't get the standard menu, they do get the bum's rush out the door, no attention to service and the diner tips on the $10 they spent instead of the $50 the coupon was worth.
It might work for some of the 'things to do' in the area, tho..
We know that you are supposed to tip based on the full amount of the bill, not the discounted amount. Many of the restaurants around here give you the bill and treat the discount coupon liked it was payment, so you see the full amount for tipping purposes.
The coupons all say that they can be bought as gifts and names aren't checked. We were just thinking about offering it, since we see the deals for the local places that the guests might miss. But I'm just worried what guests may think of it. Or should we instead send them the offers?

We know that you are supposed to tip based on the full amount of the bill, not the discounted amount. Many of the restaurants around here give you the bill and treat the discount coupon liked it was payment, so you see the full amount for tipping purposes.
The coupons all say that they can be bought as gifts and names aren't checked. We were just thinking about offering it, since we see the deals for the local places that the guests might miss. But I'm just worried what guests may think of it. Or should we instead send them the offers?
If I were traveling and I were offered a discount coupon to a restaurant, I'd want to first know if the innkeepers ate there, too. So, because I do have discount coupons for my guests I ascertain first where they want to eat, then I offer the coupons. I don't want it to look like I'm pushing them to go somewhere in particular, but it's a nice surprise for the guest if they were already planning to go there.
I've seen the restaurants here wise up to the tipping issue and present the 'before' bill and the 'after' bill so the guest can see they got the discount and so they can see the total amount.
I think you have to present the discount 'deal of the day' type coupons in advance. Because most of the discounts here (the ones I hand out) are for 15%, it's easy to figure the tip. It's either the discounted amount or a little more.

If I were traveling and I were offered a discount coupon to a restaurant, I'd want to first know if the innkeepers ate there, too. So, because I do have discount coupons for my guests I ascertain first where they want to eat, then I offer the coupons. I don't want it to look like I'm pushing them to go somewhere in particular, but it's a nice surprise for the guest if they were already planning to go there.
I've seen the restaurants here wise up to the tipping issue and present the 'before' bill and the 'after' bill so the guest can see they got the discount and so they can see the total amount.
I think you have to present the discount 'deal of the day' type coupons in advance. Because most of the discounts here (the ones I hand out) are for 15%, it's easy to figure the tip. It's either the discounted amount or a little more.
The ones I'm talking about are the Groupon/LivingSocial kind of coupons. We are only talking about places where we would go ourselves or have gone - OR - the ones for where tourists go, like the boat tour of the harbour. But they do involve an outlay.

The ones I'm talking about are the Groupon/LivingSocial kind of coupons. We are only talking about places where we would go ourselves or have gone - OR - the ones for where tourists go, like the boat tour of the harbour. But they do involve an outlay.
What would be your purpose in offering the guest the coupon? Would you be using this to extend a guest's stay or to entice them in a slower season? A nice perk for someone who stays for x number of days? Just curious how you would use them.

I have thought of this myself and even let a future guest know of a deal that was running the day she made the reservation. When she replied to her confirmation she thanked me for letting her know about the deal and she did purchase one.
Would I have told her about the deal had she not mentioned the attraction? No. With these being daily deals there is no way to keep up with forwarding them to guests, while the idea is a good one.
I have also thought about purchasing some for guests to use, but usually you are limited as to the # you can purchase and then what if you are unable to recoup the $. (a dollar or two no biggie but when it is in the $10's of dollars it can eat that pocket)
So why not contact the attraction/restaurant yourself and ask them to work with you by offering your guests a discount... If they are doing a deal of the day, they are discounting 50% then loosing more to commissions they may be happy to work with you.

What would be your purpose in offering the guest the coupon? Would you be using this to extend a guest's stay or to entice them in a slower season? A nice perk for someone who stays for x number of days? Just curious how you would use them.
I was just trying to be nice. No alterior motives at all.

I was just trying to be nice. No alterior motives at all.
Nice is good.

I have thought of this myself and even let a future guest know of a deal that was running the day she made the reservation. When she replied to her confirmation she thanked me for letting her know about the deal and she did purchase one.
Would I have told her about the deal had she not mentioned the attraction? No. With these being daily deals there is no way to keep up with forwarding them to guests, while the idea is a good one.
I have also thought about purchasing some for guests to use, but usually you are limited as to the # you can purchase and then what if you are unable to recoup the $. (a dollar or two no biggie but when it is in the $10's of dollars it can eat that pocket)
So why not contact the attraction/restaurant yourself and ask them to work with you by offering your guests a discount... If they are doing a deal of the day, they are discounting 50% then loosing more to commissions they may be happy to work with you..
copperhead said:
So why not contact the attraction/restaurant yourself and ask them to work with you by offering your guests a discount... If they are doing a deal of the day, they are discounting 50% then loosing more to commissions they may be happy to work with you.
This is good. I haven't seen too many deals around here but I'll start to watch for them now. Altho, I think if I were running one of the deals and other businesses started contacting me I might be peeved. Along the lines of, 'Where were you BEFORE I was offering deals?' Just a thought.

So why not contact the attraction/restaurant yourself and ask them to work with you by offering your guests a discount... If they are doing a deal of the day, they are discounting 50% then loosing more to commissions they may be happy to work with you..
copperhead said:
This is good. I haven't seen too many deals around here but I'll start to watch for them now. Altho, I think if I were running one of the deals and other businesses started contacting me I might be peeved. Along the lines of, 'Where were you BEFORE I was offering deals?' Just a thought.
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Sending business without the deal Asking for a deal to give the guest incentive to come to your establishment.

copperhead said:
Alibi Ike said:
copperhead said:
Sending business without the deal Asking for a deal to give the guest incentive to come to your establishment.
I meant if the business had never seen nor heard of the inn before the deal came out. Most restaurants around here know who we are, but not all of them do. Just the other night, one restaurant sent us 2 walk-ins. In 7 years that's happened about twice. In spite of 7 years of telling guests where to get dinner. It's not that we don't know the owners & managers, it's that the servers don't know B&B's even exist.

Back