Dealing with a stubborn Wisteria and a wimpy Clematis

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Toad_HLB

Reaction score
There is a Wisteria on the property that both we and the previous owner of the house have never seen bloom.
Combined, we're talking about a prolific vine over 20 years old, but the sucker just won't bloom. Huge growth each year and very healthy but never any blooms.
I've root planed, deep fertilized, pruned heavily, etc.. Any ideas?
I put in a nice deep purple Clematis three years ago and it grows taller every year, but it is limitied to one vine, about a dozen blooms and never seems to grow past the grow from the year before. Its in a really great spot with all sorts of soil amendments and good water, but just doesn't want to take off for me.

I have a wisteria too. It was not blooming. An old German gardener told me that I needed to whack off the new growth in July or it will not bloom. I think the idea is that you stop the energy from working on new vines so it goes into producing flowers.
I did whack it back immensly and the next year had beautiful blooms. I forgot until after July last year so just got a few. You reminded me it's time to butcher it again.
RIki

Some clematises only bloom on last year's growth. Also, some are "dwarf" and do not grow that large... we have one in our side yard that is tiny and stays that way.
Thanks for the advice on the wisteria!
=)
Kk.

Thanks for the advice on the Wisteria. We have old growth wisteria too. no one has ever seen it bloom. We cut it back every fall. Got a few blooms (maybe 4) the firt year, none since. I didn't know to cut it back in July! Is that a regionally thing? We are in the Midwest. Does it matter?

We're Midwest and looking at my wisteria I think it's time to do it now....
=)
Kk.

your prunning time will be determined on your climate zone....some locals early July while others are early August
All clematis like a cool root zone

Some clematises only bloom on last year's growth. Also, some are "dwarf" and do not grow that large... we have one in our side yard that is tiny and stays that way.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
I have Clematise too and have found them to be rather fussy. I don't know if it is just me, but is it typical for them to grown to a certain height, bloom and then die back and start again? This is the routine for mine. I see other clematis that are going great guns, but mine aren't . I did hear that they like their faces to be in the sun and their feet to be in the shade...but mine are still not happy. They are nursery stock too...I don't know ..its weird.

Back