Dealing with Fraudulent Bookings

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone's booking process here can be a bit different, but the scams usually have some consistency. Our bookings can only be done online booking or they have to call - and both are paid-in-full requirements. Our policy is once you are within the 7 days of arrival, you start losing money because it can be difficult for us to fill the rooms at the last minute. Haven't ever responded to questionable emails or had scam problems. Biggest headache here is guests who can't make up their minds and keep changing or cancel and rebook the dates!

When I started 13 years ago, the most common request of this type said "I am coming to your City with seven newly ordained Greek priests to stay 10 days". Last year, I got the Greek priest one again! Poor guys, all the time on the road.

Along this line, I got a message today from an ABC reporter wanting to use one of my units for on-camera interviews. I blew it off as a hoax, but checked around, and yes ABC has been in town lately filming for a 20/20 story related to an elected official murdered here a few years ago. So yes, sometimes these unbelievable stories are legit!

Hello,
I also rent the house/property for family reunions, weddings and more.
I have solved this by charging a $500. refundable security/deposit at time of booking (if there is no damage to the property, then they get the $500. deposit refunded to the card).
I also inform them that the first half of the total price is due 90 days prior to reservation and the remaining amount paid in full 30 days before they get keys.
This gives me 3 months before date if card is indeed stolen to open up for new reservations.

I have our cancellation policy on the email after deposit to remind them in print.

Cancellation Policy:
If your plans change after your reservation is confirmed, cancellation notice is required 90 days in advance of your arrival date. You will be refunded your deposit, minus a $25 cancellation fee.

If you cancel your reservation 90 days or less prior to arrival date, you are responsible for the entire cost of your reservation. Your credit card on file will be charged in full.

The cancellation fee also applies to changes in your arrival/departure date which result in a shorter stay. No refunds are provided for late arrivals or early departures.

Hope this helps you weed out the fraud. :)

Back