Dealing with the cross and grumpy

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
Ever had a guest that acts like they were weaned on a pickle?
I have a couple who justed checked in and She is perfectly nice, but He is perfectly grumpy.
He grumped about the breakfast seating, the parking lot, the lack of adequate bicycle storage, the size of the room and the fact that he had to pay tax in addition to his room rate. They have been here 15 minutes.
Don't you just LOVE it? Innkeeping is truly an adventure and not for the meek.
confused_smile.gif

If my Mother in Law was still alive, I would have thought my inlaws checked in... that sounds just like something my wifes father would do! And he is coming over for dinner tonight. I need to have it on the table at 5pm sharp or I hear about it (BBQ Salmon tonight).
So this brings up another newbie question, how do you deal with having family/friends over for dinner when guests are in?

If my Mother in Law was still alive, I would have thought my inlaws checked in... that sounds just like something my wifes father would do! And he is coming over for dinner tonight. I need to have it on the table at 5pm sharp or I hear about it (BBQ Salmon tonight).
So this brings up another newbie question, how do you deal with having family/friends over for dinner when guests are in?.
Sheldon said:
So this brings up another newbie question, how do you deal with having family/friends over for dinner when guests are in?
I don't. I tried it once when I was a newbie and had guests leave due to the noise. They said they felt like they were in a frat house. (obviously an exaggeration) but they fought me with the credit card company. I won in the end, because I could prove they checked in and used the bed and jacuzzi before leaving 'in a huff'.

We have our own quarters so will stay there, out of guest areas. You just have to be prepared that if you are somewhere that the guests can see you, they will ask you for something. It gets frustrating in the summer when we try to eat outside.

I would be equally nice to both of them....you watch, he will thaw out. Maybe he needs to getaway even more than she does, and just doesn't know it yet!

HEY THEY JUST CHECKED IN HERE FROM PA!
She was twirling around - this is beautiful I just love it! He was a grumpy sour puss. "I hope coffee is available BEFORE breakfast" He states...on and on every thing he says is grumpy, no thank yous, no cordial talk. "Is there a place to get a bottle of wine?" "here in da hills we makes our own likker" --toothless grin.
You know my theory...tomorrow I will wonder what happened to the grouch, he will be The Stepford Guest. Mysteriously replaced during the night with a very likable fella.

I would be equally nice to both of them....you watch, he will thaw out. Maybe he needs to getaway even more than she does, and just doesn't know it yet!.
Little Blue said:
I would be equally nice to both of them....you watch, he will thaw out. Maybe he needs to getaway even more than she does, and just doesn't know it yet!
Yes, thats my plan. I have a winning smile and using it to my advantage :)

She was twirling around - this is beautiful I just love it! He was a grumpy sour puss. "I hope coffee is available BEFORE breakfast" He states...on and on every thing he says is grumpy, no thank yous, no cordial talk. "Is there a place to get a bottle of wine?" "here in da hills we makes our own likker" --toothless grin.
You know my theory...tomorrow I will wonder what happened to the grouch, he will be The Stepford Guest. Mysteriously replaced during the night with a very likable fella..
Joe Bloggs said:
You know my theory...tomorrow I will wonder what happened to the grouch, he will be The Stepford Guest. Mysteriously replaced during the night with a very likable fella.
Hey, tomorrow we can compare notes!

So this brings up another newbie question, how do you deal with having family/friends over for dinner when guests are in?.
Sheldon said:
Simple answer.
You don't.
Did we forget to tell you we don't get to have a life?

You know my theory...tomorrow I will wonder what happened to the grouch, he will be The Stepford Guest. Mysteriously replaced during the night with a very likable fella..
Joe Bloggs said:
The Farmers Daughter said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Totally made up for by the next set of guests - very nice couple, one looks like Tom Selleck, Too much so like Tom Selleck.

Sheldon said:
Simple answer.
You don't.
True dat, Joe!

Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Totally made up for by the next set of guests - very nice couple, one looks like Tom Selleck, Too much so like Tom Selleck.
Jo Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
How cool is that?
thumbs_up.gif

Tom Selleck is one hot tamale in my book and a cowboy too!!!
*drools shamelessly*

We have our own quarters so will stay there, out of guest areas. You just have to be prepared that if you are somewhere that the guests can see you, they will ask you for something. It gets frustrating in the summer when we try to eat outside..
InnsiderInfo said:
We have our own quarters so will stay there, out of guest areas. You just have to be prepared that if you are somewhere that the guests can see you, they will ask you for something. It gets frustrating in the summer when we try to eat outside.
I have my own apartment area too. Unfortunately, sound travels within the building. I would love to be separate from the main Inn, but not that fortunate.

Just checked in our last set who actually CALLED to tell us they were running late...two cutie patooties. Yay!

Sheldon said:
We don't do it. Too stressful. We learned this long ago. We don't take guests if we are having family over.
wow.gif

Joe Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Jo Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
How cool is that?
thumbs_up.gif

*drools shamelessly*
Jo Bloggs said:
Joe Bloggs said:
How cool is that?
thumbs_up.gif

*drools shamelessly*
It is one of those cases where after child bearing/rearing etc etc he is aging like fine wine and she is not so much. So she looks much older than him and he is a knock out! Dimples from eyes to chin, super blue eyes and even sounds like him, how is that possible! Anyway, we'll see the reaction tomorrow with the other guests.
We had a guest here once who looked like Richard Gere and Harrison Ford and the women were ga-ga over this guest. We also had a lady who looked like Martha Stewart to a T and even parted her hair on the same side, and wore the same sort of button down long sleeved shirts. It cracked me up,
These are only look-a-likes. But it is still fun. Gotta find fun where you can to break the monotony of one guest after another!
Oh and the other thing about this weekend- all unusual last names. I don't want to type them here - but every room has a unique and cool last name. No Smiths or Jones here tonight.

how do you deal with having family/friends over for dinner when guests are in?
sorry, but get used to this..it is the innkeeper's life. Unless you have totally separate living quarters, you can't do things like you used to. GUests come first. We do things with our friends when we do not have guests or after we close for the winter.

and...friends do things on weekends, what do you do on weekends? WORK!

Joe Bloggs said:
The Farmers Daughter

status_online.png
Joe Bloggs wrote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, mine just checked out well fed and happy.
thumbs_up.gif

How are yours?

Back