Dealing with the neighbors.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
We are located in a small village of 1500 residents. We are the only lodging in town and are located in an historic, residental area. We have neigbors on 3 sides of us. One had decided to take up the drums...
554760.gif
... much to the annoyance of the Inn and her customers. These neighbors have been problems in the past and are neither friendly or approachable. They have 6 dogs and no fenced yard. That forced us to fence in ours. We have had problems with them going out all day and the dogs bark continually until they return.They have left nasty notes on the windshields of customers that have accidentally parked on their property, we expanded our parking to accommodate any overflow. The list goes on and on. This however we can not compensate for. How would you handle this?

The drums I have no solution for. The dogs on the other hand, I would call the police or if your county has an animal enforcement officer, I would call them. Dogs on the loose are a menace to all. 6 dogs is beyond a pack. A secondary solution to the dogs, being that their owners are not amenable, is to make friends with the dogs. Try to train the dogs to be quiet.

Good timing on this new thread since I arrived home to two police cars parked out front. I called the owner of the apartment house across the street to let her know. A domestic with a youth involved. The owner said the issue is he is a spoiled kid, I knew that when I met them. Okay, well police cars parked in front of our BnB is not what I want to see. Mind you, with nothing better to do they race up to any call, once we had kids throwing snowballs. We still laugh at that one. But our guests do not know this! They see police cars and are concerned!

Farmer's Daughter, are they renters or home owners? You can hope they move. Getting on negligent people about this issue will cause you more strife, I can guarantee it. They have no concern for anyone but themselves, as indicated.

We can feel your pain...
We have 2 sets of neighbors with dogs. The first are so very friendly and keep their dogs within their fenced property. We never had a moments problem with them UNTIL their neighbor moved in with 2 large mean rottweilers. They had a pen for them but after 4pm and weekends when our Animal control closed, they would let them out to have a run...through all our yards and stirred up our neighbors dogs as well. After numerous complaints from many, the animal control paid them a visit and must have scared them enough that they do not let them roam anymore.
BUT, they did bark - all day and all night which caused our good neighbors dogs to reply...We purchased a Bark Silencer that will hang on a tree or pole that you can aim in the dogs direction. When the dog barks, it sends out an ultrasonic sound that irritates the dog, when the dog stops barking, the sound stops thus training the dog not to bark. There are many on the market so do research to determine the cost with the distance you need. Our device will pick up the bark up to 75' away and was just under $100. It has AC/DC compatability. What we did was talk to our neighbors and split the cost to put it on their property, aimed at their neighbors...thus stopping the problem.
Regarding the drum issue...the only thing I would think you could do is contact your county councilman. Maybe there is a noise ordinance that they are in violation. Most of this go into affect during night hours which vary from area to area. In discussions with him, state the previous issues and your resolvement to those issues - i.e. the fence and expantion of your parking. This will provide him (her) proof that you have gone to extreme measures with this neighbor but that this issue is beyond your ablity to resolve. Wish you luck with this one!

Most cities have a bylaw about excessive noise pollution as well. You should contact your city council if this law has been breached or not. Perhaps because you are a business the bylaw officer will be more stringent than when dealing with a residence.

I don't know.
New windows and blown-in insulation? I can hardly hear traffic on the street since they were done.
If you find the solution, maybe I can use it to get my neighbor to move his truck... just a little more forward and someone else could park in front of my B&B besides him!
=)
Kk.

So sorry about the problem. And I thought I had a lousy neighbor because ALL the branches from the tree that splits our property line somehow manage to fall in mY yard. The only one that somehow fell in his yard was mammoth and too big for him to shove across the grass.
When DH is in the hospital for 7 weeks in 07, the kid was still in high school although his Dad ALWAYS mows their grass - right up to the property line - and neither of them ever came across the line to mow one inch of mine. At least they are quiet. And no dogs.

Does your area have a limit on how many dogs someone can have? We are in city limits even though we are out in the country and you can't have more than 3 dogs.

They are homeowners and I have been in contact with the town. There is no limit on the number of dogs as long as they are all licensed. I am on a first name basis with the humane official who has been out there on several occasions. They fortunately have friendly breeds: 2 Springers, 1 lab, 1 golden, 1 Old English, 1 Jack Russel (who never shuts up). Even when they are indoors, you can still hear them....and now the drums....grumble...
The bark silencer is a good idea! Thanks guys.

The Farmers Daughter said:
. One had decided to take up the drums...
554760.gif
... much to the annoyance of the Inn and her customers.
Also try and keep a diary of the times of the noise - drumming and dog barking. When this comes to a head and you need to present your case, the diary will assist you. Keep the faith - we had dog barking problems and finally our County has come up with a law to ban it - of course you have to call them and they have to come out while the barking is going on but at least it's a start.
RIki

No lie - we went for a walk this morning and our dog found out that one of our neighbor's down the street is keeping a ROOSTER on their grounds! We were stunned, our dog usually runs down the driveway of this particular house because they have a lab that they keep outside and the two doggies say their "hellos" when we walk each day. No lab outside today, instead our dog goes down the driveway and comes running back up chasing the rooster.
Fortunately they are far enough down the street from us that we haven't heard it, I hope we and our guests DON'T. We are a fairly rural county so I'm sure there is not law against any kind of livestock...you'd think they'd keep it penned up though...and now we wonder if she also has hens. Weird!

Here roosters are our alarm clock. City folk find it kind of quaint. Luckily they aren't right next door.

Back